Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What should I do? 40hp engine upgrades
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: What should I do? 40hp engine upgrades Reply with quote

So today my 40 horse motor tried to kill itself. As seen here

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Soooo I’ll be pulling the motor and that head obviously. Here’s my question. If my car doesn’t already have the big bore kit on it I’m going to order it. What else should I do? Ratio rockers? Different heads? You can see where my is jacked where the valve spring meets the head. Also, what’s the best place to get the big bore kit from?
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do? Reply with quote

big bore kit and a 69mm crank from a 1500/1600. If investing money in any 40hp, I would definitely upgrade to the stronger 69mm crank. You have to narrow the rods and shim the cylinders to do this, but that's all that changes when building the engine. Outside: longer pushrods and have the intake lengthened. I managed to spread the exhaust pipes using a jack.
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do? 40hp engine upgrades Reply with quote

A 1600 header (a 1 3/8 4 into 1 with j tubes) might fit at that point, with the cylinder shims for 69mm crank
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: What should I do? 40hp engine upgrades Reply with quote

Are the 1300 heads a direct bolt on to my 1965 1200 engine? Do I need longer studs or anything like that to bolt them up?
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: What should I do? 40hp engine upgrades Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Are the 1300 heads a direct bolt on to my 1965 1200 engine? Do I need longer studs or anything like that to bolt them up?

As far as I know, you have to change 2 of the case studs.
What year is your 1200?

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
gregson1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: What should I do? 40hp engine upgrades Reply with quote

You can do quite a lot.

'65 40HP case with cam bearings and clearanced for the crank and piston skirts, 69mm counterweighted crank, 8 dowel 200mm 6V O-ring flywheel, 40HP rods w/ narrowed big end, 83mm 40HP big bore kit, 1300 Euro dual port heads with heavy duty springs and lightweight retainers, Engle 100 cam, lightweight Bugpack lifters, stock ratio rockers clearance to run Porsche elephant feet adjusters. Berg 26mm oil pump. 010 distributor set to 32 degrees on advance. 8:6 to 1 compression. Completely balanced. Full doghouse oil cooler modification. All top sheet metal and shroud are modified aftermarket pieces. 1485cc. 10mm head studs, with the 4 inner upper head studs replaced with the shorter studs to support the dual port heads. I'm using a Vintage Speed classic muffler with pea shooters and I had them add two O2 bungs for wideband tuning.

Throughout the wideband tuning I learned to hate the Kadrons with a passion. Weber 40 IDFs with short manifolds and velocity stacks are on order and I'll continue to use the Berg linkage, with a longer set of their drop arms. Once the Webers are proven, I'll have some head work done, take the compression right to 9 to 1, port match manifolds and lighten the flywheel by two or three pounds. I'll also install the small diameter 12V generator I have to do that conversion because I'm tired of having to put a 12V battery in the front seat to run the wideband. And I want headlights. Laughing

All of this is just because. I like the fact that it uses the original engine case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: What should I do? 40hp engine upgrades Reply with quote

Looks like it dropped that valve! Usually, the damage is catastrophic when this happens! A lot of metal shavings there! They probably got into the oil galleys and oil cooler everything. VW wall of shame

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
So today my 40 horse motor tried to kill itself. As seen here:

vwfreek61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do? 40hp engine upgrades Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Also, what’s the best place to get the big bore kit from?

When I ordered mine http://carcraftstore.com/ had the best price.
1987 Vanagon Westy w/Subaru EJ25 and reversed 4EAT
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do? 40hp engine upgrades Reply with quote

Ok here’s my plan so far. Keep in mind I do NOT want to split the case unless I absolutely have to. Draining the oil and seeing what’s in it will determine that. Assuming I don’t have to split the case here’s what I think I’ll order. Chime in if this is horribly wrong.

Motor is a 1965 40 horse in case I didn’t say that.

Ordering;
Big bore kit
1300 heads
New intake
New exhaust (possibly header and stinger)
Fram shroud mount oil filter kit

What carb should I use?
Anything else anyone would add that doesn’t require splitting the case?
Ratio rockers? If so which ones?
gregson1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do? 40hp engine upgrades Reply with quote

All that wreckage in the rocker box and you don't want to split the case?

I'd have to recommend not only splitting the case, but pulling the galley plugs, line boring and thrust cut (if needed), and having the cam bores machined for bearings (if not done already). Then go with the mods you were thinking, along with an appropriate cam. I would suggest replacing the oil cooler with a new one that doesn't have metal shavings in it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do? 40hp engine upgrades Reply with quote

Cali, although 1300 heads will fit onto the 83mm 40hp-based big bore cylinders without modification, you are still working with a narrower engine than the 1300 originally was. This means that you'll need to cut a thin slice out of the 1300 or 1500 intake manifold and preheat tube, then weld back together when you are mocking up the engine. Or, instead of using the stock manifold for a single carb, you can now use a single-throat dual carb kit based on a single-port engine.

Then again, since you'll most likely be fitting shims under your cylinders which add width to the 40hp engine shortblock, you are approaching the stock width of a 1300 engine. Not quite, though...

If you don't want to splurge, then stick with a matched pair of 40hp heads in good shape and use the original 40hp intake manifold.

Either way, lap the new cylinders into the heads for best sealing.
Mr.Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do? 40hp engine upgrades Reply with quote

gregson1 wrote:
All that wreckage in the rocker box and you don't want to split the case?

I'd have to recommend not only splitting the case, but pulling the galley plugs, line boring and thrust cut (if needed), and having the cam bores machined for bearings (if not done already). Then go with the mods you were thinking, along with an appropriate cam. I would suggest replacing the oil cooler with a new one that doesn't have metal shavings in it.

I second this. That’s a lot of shaving just in valve cover alone. I’d put money on it, that there are shavings in the case sump at a minimum. I’d hate to see you go through all the effort of dealing heads or any other mod just to have it lock up in a week when a shaving finds it’s way to the main bearings.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do? 40hp engine upgrades Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips and suggestions everyone. Just a little update. Going to be getting a turnkey 1600 either this weekend or sometime during the week. Going to throw that in and fully rebuild the 1200.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: