Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new baby! Auction of fake 23-Window Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Clara wrote:

I think the heater log in the '59 deluxe' had been chopped out, and later replaced.
The underside pic with the heater tube cap implies it was originally a passenger bus, as do the hooks for the armrests.

Agree.

And the heater wrap on the cow horn half is the pre 63 style as well. So at least this chunk of the bus is earlier and could be 59.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

nestbedding wrote:
...except for a cop from the TARP program in LA who is going to see it next week, not a lot of empathy so far.

What did the cops have to say?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Has the birth certificate been authenticated for that vin number?

I know the museum can be helpful in situations like this. I have a friend who had a similar problem and for 40 Euro he had all of the details/options confirmed by email from the museum within 4 hours.

Seems like a good place to start, eh?
Nalu33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
BeaterBarndoor wrote:
It’s horrible to see such a situation with this much money involved especially. Hopefully the outcome is positive for the buyer.
My one question from early on in this thread, am I the only one who sees 2 different ‘4s’ on the obvious original VIN number below? They all look the same for the faked bus, different sequence of course. It’s just my guess that maybe those who stamped the numbers at the factory just had mix match stamps?
I didn’t see any mention on this in the reading, unless I looked over it.
Could be a real 59 vin but holy moly on the rest of the bus. Sad.

srfndoc wrote:
This bus:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Something else a little funny: the hole for the screw that holds the metal VIN
tag looks to me like it has never had a self tapping screw in it. Like it never even had a tag mounted- ever. That looks like a fresh hole, maybe punched,
not drilled.
Al

The engine tag goes there under gas tank, not the vin stamp. The vin stamp is not factory correct gorvthst soot, wrong
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Nalu33 wrote:

The engine tag goes there under gas tank, not the vin stamp. The vin stamp is not factory correct gorvthst soot, wrong

Early buses had the vin stamped beneath the tag that is missing on this bus.

Here's some info on vin tag locations:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/id.php
Nalu33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

swharris wrote:
lenny copp wrote:
Still learning lol

As a respected and ethical restoration shop owner(IMO), I think your perspective is quite valuable in this discussion. Would you be willing to give your opinion on the situation? Have you ever had someone bring a bus/car to you that was obviously not originally from the factory as it was being presented or what they asked you to "create"?

What do you see as the resto shop/s responsibility in a situation like this?

Thanks for your insight.

Yes Lenny please do add your thoughts, experiences and comments... We’d love to hear 👂
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Maybe Johnny Cash built this bus one piece at a time.

German Folks
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2riRAGzNzvQ
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:

Are you saying he should take it to Reno?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

So, has the other side of the metal where the VIN is stamped been looked at for tampering?

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
lonotch wrote:

Are you saying he should take it to Reno?

Hella yeah! I heard Johnnys band mates Welder and the bodyman will be there......

Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles.

German Folks
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
So, has the other side of the metal where the VIN is stamped been looked at for tampering?

campingbox wrote:
Has the birth certificate been authenticated for that vin number?

It would be nice to know the answers to the above inbetween the rage posts
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Nalu33 wrote:
swharris wrote:
lenny copp wrote:
Still learning lol

As a respected and ethical restoration shop owner(IMO), I think your perspective is quite valuable in this discussion. Would you be willing to give your opinion on the situation? Have you ever had someone bring a bus/car to you that was obviously not originally from the factory as it was being presented or what they asked you to "create"?

What do you see as the resto shop/s responsibility in a situation like this?

Thanks for your insight.

Yes Lenny please do add your thoughts, experiences and comments... We’d love to hear 👂

No reply. I'm shocked....?
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Seems like they will be at it again shortly

https://www.mecum.com/lots/LN1117-320410/1959-volkswagen-deluxe-23-window-bus/

https://www.mecum.com/lots/LN1117-320184/1958-volkswagen-11-window-bus/
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

With the requisite fine print

"Information found on the website is presented as advance information for the auction lot. Photos, materials for videos, descriptions and other information are provided by the consignor/seller and is deemed reliable, but Mecum Auction does not verify, warrant or guarantee this information. The lot and information presented at auction on the auction block supersedes any previous descriptions or information. Mecum is not responsible for information that may be changed or updated prior to the auction. The decision to purchase should be based solely on the buyers personal inspection of the lot at the auction site prior to the auction."
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:

Is that a bus or an over inflated bus shaped balloon? I can't tell.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
velvetgreen wrote:

Is that a bus or an over inflated bus shaped balloon? I can't tell.

I was thinking it looked a bit bloated as well. Appearantly, high noon is not a good time to take pics of a bus...

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Joey wrote:

I was thinking it looked a bit bloated as well. Appearantly, high noon is not a good time to take pics of a bus...

Does the heat of the direct sunlight make the bondo swell up or something?
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:

Looking at those aren't they both already sold? Looks like the auction date was nov. of last year.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
Joey wrote:

Does the heat of the direct sunlight make the bondo swell up or something?
When the light source is more perpindicular to the surface (high noon/straight overhead) it makes a non-flat surface more apparent... more shadows.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Page 26 of 34

Jump to: