Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carb vs fuel injection
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guido Orefice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Carb vs fuel injection Reply with quote

What are the differences from a maintenance and performance perspective with carburetor vs fuel injection type 1 engine?

I'm in the market for a '68 - 79 Beetle. I have experience with carb engines on '67 through '74.

Gracias
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Carb vs fuel injection Reply with quote

For performance EFI will probably be in whole different league than carbs....BUT there is a learning curve to EFI becasue of many different variables involved as you are electronically adjusting the fuel/air mixture...

These guys are a little deeper into EFI than most Samaites...

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewforum.php?f=23&sid=b5c8796c66fb4a3076fad8f4ece60efc

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Carb vs fuel injection Reply with quote

Are we discussing aftermarket systems?, or bone stock L-jet from the factory?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Guido Orefice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Carb vs fuel injection Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

Assume stock. I like as close to stock as possible.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Carb vs fuel injection Reply with quote

OK then, the FI offers slightly better performance and fuel economy (if you can keep your foot out of it Wink )
Maintenance is painless, there's great factory manuals for troubleshooting and as long as you have a volt/ohm meter and fuel pressure gauge and can read almost anyone can figure it out, it's a very simple system.
You will have to reverse almost 50 years of neglect, perished hoses and seals make vacuum leaks that mess with it, and wires and terminals get weak from age and use, get all that under control (usually ~$150 in parts) and it's ready for another few decades of neglect.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Carb vs fuel injection Reply with quote

Guido Orefice wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Assume stock. I like as close to stock as possible.

So you want to deal with 40+ year old components that may or may not be replaceable and a system that may only be 50% as efficient as "modern" systems...

If you are determined to have stock appearance, get this kit, which you will also have to get the FI alternator stand.. ...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=519841

And hang a Megasquirt brain on it....

https://www.diyautotune.com/

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb vs fuel injection Reply with quote

Depends, how cheap are you and what's your time worth?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
77charger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb vs fuel injection Reply with quote

$$ vs $$$$

IMO learn to properly tune carbs and you will still run good or break out the wallet.

Im no expert in carb tuning but my buggy with 44s starts,idles,doesnt sputter and feels smooth without fouling plugs.
Auto linea alm case,82 dpr crank wedgemated by DK machine
cb 5.4 h beams,12 pound DPR f/w,Slr xv294cam,cb straight cuts,hpmx 44s,40x35 heads ported by brothers machine
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb vs fuel injection Reply with quote

A lot depends on the pool of cars to choose from. Is there even a FI car for sale near you? FI is going to be more expensive if you have to repair it. I think dual carbs are fine as long as the engine does not have to go through a long warm up cycle.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb vs fuel injection Reply with quote

Maintenence? hardly any in either case, when everything is working right.
More like REPAIR to get there. The old Fuel injections systems are ok, but they are old.....just really old, and not a lot of people know how to fix them.
If you know somebody who can fix em up, then go for it.
Which am I talking about? both!
Go with whatever you have the ability to work with.
PumaVW79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb vs fuel injection Reply with quote

Carbs are simpler, that is indisputable.
Bugsy61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Carb vs fuel injection Reply with quote

I used to have to work on the old L Jetronic once in a while when I was a Volvo mechanic. Not a fan. You will almost certainly need four new fuel nozzles (injectors) and the last I saw, if you can find them, they wanted $50 per nozzle, so find them before you decide on buying a system. That alone will put you nearly half way toward a pair of HPMX carbs with manifolds and linkage.
Since we're on this subject, the Megasquirt guys brag about how they don't have to spend all that time swapping jets on a nice Spring day, but they forget to mention that they spent all winter soldering tiny little widgets to a circuit board. I've got both, so I can run my big mouth. Wink
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb vs fuel injection Reply with quote

Bugsy61 wrote:
I used to have to work on the old L Jetronic once in a while when I was a Volvo mechanic. Not a fan. You will almost certainly need four new fuel nozzles (injectors) and the last I saw, if you can find them, they wanted $50 per nozzle, so find them before you decide on buying a system. That alone will put you nearly half way toward a pair of HPMX carbs with manifolds and linkage.
Since we're on this subject, the Megasquirt guys brag about how they don't have to spend all that time swapping jets on a nice Spring day, but they forget to mention that they spent all winter soldering tiny little widgets to a circuit board. I've got both, so I can run my big mouth. Wink

Mario can solder those widgets with his eyes closed. A lot faster than most anyone......
I happen to be fairly good on a grader. I just work a couple hours of OT and let him do what he does best...... Wink

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb vs fuel injection Reply with quote

A properly working L-jetronic fuel injected late model Bug drives nicer than any stock carbureted Bug.
sawed off
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Carb vs fuel injection Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
A properly working L-jetronic fuel injected late model Bug drives nicer than any stock carbureted Bug.
x2 Love the L jet now that it works right. Takes time and patience, Not to much money if you can do it yourself. Find parts on ebay etc.
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Carb vs fuel injection Reply with quote

If the goal is stock performance, the stock L-jet is tough to beat. I played with that system a lot on my old 79 and it was super simple and easy to tweak (just turn the big toothed wheel in the AFM to adjust the air/fuel under full load.

No jets to plug up, great economy, smooth acceleration from idle all the way up. If it's all there and working, a carb is no comparison. Problem is they are old systems and god knows now many "mechanics" have tinkered with them and screwed them up. Usually screwed up by the same "mechanics" that call the system junk, lol.

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Carb vs fuel injection Reply with quote

If I had a J jet equipped VW I would chop out and remove everything at the first sign of trouble retaining only the plumbing and certain hard parts that would be incorporated in a microsquirt v3 conversion

BTDT with regard to old archaic Bosch EFI in Datsun Z cars.

Nope nope nope and nope
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: