Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The flu
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
My fn co-workers have been sick over the last two weeks. They take 2 day's off and try to come back to work on the third day, only to leave around 10am because they are too sick to continue the day.
They could have just stayed home and worked via VPN and cell phone.
But NO! They just had to come in and share their germs with the remains of the healthy team.

I sent folks home if they tried to come in while sick. That employee's "bravado" gets others sick - like you in this instance - and actually costs businesses a fortune.

67rustavenger wrote:
I didn't get the shot this year. I consulted with the Dr. and he said it was "ineffective" this year, just ride it out.

Great advice doc. Mad

Actually, the doctor was correct. The primary flu strain is not part of the vaccine, and the official word is that it's only like 10% effective. But advertisements still push for the injections, the pharmaceutical companies have to churn their profit machines...
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

What’s really sad is people cannot afford to miss work because of illness. Please don’t confuse sick time with FMLA law that’s unpaid. Fact is people will go to work sick because they have to, that and it takes a fair amount of paperwork and time to set up FMLA which must be renewed every year.

I throw caution to the wind every day going to Mickey D’s For coffee. These folks are the working poor and they usually use palm of hand to install the lid. I’m hoping their hands are clean, but are they?
Went to a movie some folks coughing there, are they sick? We hope not. That gas pump nozzle you touched was it clean? Another moron at work sick Friday, no excuse as we have paid sick leave. More than one school here closed for deep cleaning and decontamination the virus is rampant, yikes.

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

well I sat right next to my brothers girlfriend on the couch shooten the shit 7 joken for a few hours last saturday.....sunday she had the flu......so..when do I get it? Shocked I was at wallmart 3 times this last week... sure gladd I didnt get that shot that they are saying is a waste this year....
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

This is an absolutely true story.....

Spoke to a former co-worker today. She told me her friend, who is 46 years old, mother of 3 children, and healthy as a horse is in the hospital with a cardiac balloon pump, on the transplant list and may not survive due to the flu.

Apparently she had what they call a Cytokine Storm where your auto immune system goes into hyperdrive and starts attacking your internal organs. She went from classic soccer mom to being intubated and essentially on a form of life support in 1 week. She was feeling badly, went to the hospital and sent home with a diagnosis of "the flu".

No lie and no exaggeration. They have filled out paperwork for a heart transplant and the balloon pump is only a temporary measure to essentially push blood through her system because her heart is too weak.

Such a sad story.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

Best of luck to your co-worker.

This is the scary part... we collect a wide range of symptoms and seriousness under "the flu" but it covers a lot of ground but is easily dismissed. How many diseases are described as having "flu-like symptoms"? Too many to count. How are we to know what is serious? We can't, so help the odds by getting a vaccine! Doesn't always work on the most popular strains at the time, but it helps. Do we fold up the game of baseball because even a good hitter gets out twice as often as on base?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

I just heard the close friend of my father-in-law died from the flu today. Elderly but very healthy. We visited them whenever when we were there. This will be really hard on the widower. Really sad.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Best of luck to your co-worker.

This is the scary part... we collect a wide range of symptoms and seriousness under "the flu" but it covers a lot of ground but is easily dismissed. How many diseases are described as having "flu-like symptoms"? Too many to count. How are we to know what is serious? We can't, so help the odds by getting a vaccine! Doesn't always work on the most popular strains at the time, but it helps. Do we fold up the game of baseball because even a good hitter gets out twice as often as on base?

According to the CDC there are at least 5 different strains of flu this year the predominant one is type A then there are the B varieties. It’s a guessing game as to which types will be prevalent in any given year so despite their best efforts there are years when flu virus gets the upper hand, that would be this year.

To make it worse they said it’s possible to get vaccinated come down with the flu then recover then later become ill from a different strain of flu virus. They also put forth the idea that instead of peaking we are in fact only halfway through it and it could hang on till May. So the vaccine this year is less than 10 percent effective which means we have to fall back on limiting exposures if possible, Wash hands, and don’t engage in behaviors that would weaken your immune system.

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

There is nothing new this year as far as the vaccine process is concerned. Think about it, it takes a year or two to "grow" enough of the virus and then kill it, making the vaccine available to the public (yes, I'm oversimplifying, but I'm trying to make a point here). So there in an inherent "guessing game" of WHICH of the many strains will be predominant TWO YEARS IN THE FUTURE. In other words, the decision of what is in this year's vaccine was made two years ago. They feed computer models historical and current flu trends, sociological data, and travel data in order to predict which will predominate in the future. The top 3-5 get put into the "future vaccine" and then the "growing" phase takes its time. Some years they model/guess well, others less so. This has been the case for many years.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

personally I think all the flu vacine is doing is making super flu's, like the anti bacterial soaps and to many antibiotics handed out just for a fart. and they are doing this on purpose all for the all mighty $$$$ dont kill it, just keep small /rong dosing& strain and stringing along the sheep. so sad and nobody accountable for the deaths. last I heard 23 dead in alabama.. my imuno system was effed up real good by lots of radiation too many times... I aint taking no flu shots they will probably kill me like the rest.so sad $$$$$ is put way before lives...but were only human.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
personally I think all the flu vacine is doing is making super flu's, like the anti bacterial soaps and to many antibiotics handed out just for a fart. and they are doing this on purpose all for the all mighty $$$$ dont kill it, just keep small /rong dosing& strain and stringing along the sheep. so sad and nobody accountable for the deaths. last I heard 23 dead in alabama.. my imuno system was effed up real good by lots of radiation too many times... I aint taking no flu shots they will probably kill me like the rest.so sad $$$$$ is put way before lives...but were only human.

I think you might be on to something here, Mark. It very well may be an evil Government plot to kill all the sheep in Alabama. Evil or Very Mad
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

Medscape states the vaccine is 25% effective, that's not so good, and the flu season has peaked. I don't get the shot, it's become too risky with what I have read. We are creating a super flu and super bacterias, and someday we will see it. Heard immunity is being eliminated-our ability to reject viruses and our immigration laws are not helping
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
Medscape states the vaccine is 25% effective, that's not so good, and the flu season has peaked. I don't get the shot, it's become too risky with what I have read. We are creating a super flu and super bacterias, and someday we will see it. Heard immunity is being eliminated-our ability to reject viruses and our immigration laws are not helping

Question What does immigration have to do with the flu??? Question

A week and a half ago I went to my doctor with a terrible cough. I had bronchitis and possibly beginning of pneumonia ... doctor says not the flu. I hadn't been to a doctor for an illness in 30 years. I'm the kind of person that doesn't even like to take aspirin. But, a steroid injection and a round of antibiotics and I am now fine.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

Last Friday exactly one week ago a person that sits about 5 feet away from me felt ill and was coughing, I kept a distance sprayed my area with Lysol and kept hands clean. Monday he was worse, much worse and by Tuesday he left early to seek medical advice. This asshole exposed about 50 other people to his sickness for reasons known only to himself. Thursday he called in to inform the boss he has type A flu virus takes a week or more to incubate so I’ll keeping an eye on myself as will others that had misfortune to be around him. Another man here had a sister die from flu just 3 weeks ago very quickly less than a week from onset to death, she was 37. I would ask moderator please don’t lock this thread because one or two folks want to turn it into political bullshit. Please just concentrate on facts not rumor or speculation. Thanks again. Shocked
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

I have never gotten the shot & only have gotten the flu a few times. But here you go ZF, here’s NC’s latest toll...
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.newsobserver.com/news/business/article200290019.html

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

There is a huge difference between the idea of breeding super bacteria through antibiotics and hand soaps, and super viruses through immunizations.

The common practice of discontinuing antibiotics (anti-bacteria) when you feel better, and the over-prescription of antibiotics, is what is making "super-bacteria" like MRSA. The issue is that you are "thinning the herd" of bacteria, and the strongest survive. That is a real thing.

Vaccinations work differently. They do NOT kill the virus in your body. They are a dead virus, and they encourage your own body to make more of the antibodies (and ones targeting the specific strains in the virus) prior to your exposure the live virus from other people. Your body would make those antibodies anyway. You just have them before exposure, sparing you all those nasty symptoms. Either way the virus will enter your body, and your own body chemistry and biology will fight it off in most cases. You are just giving your body a head start.

The susceptible (young and old) are greater beneficiaries because their bodies are exceptionally slow to fight the virus, and the symptoms spread and cause sepsis, which is often fatal.

Your only effect on the virus itself through vaccination is to avoid prolonging the symptoms and your transmissibility to others. This will make the human population healthier by thinning the virus herd in the POPULATION, not in YOUR body. There is very little evidence we are breeding "super-viruses" through vaccination. Viruses continually evolve, and always have. Vaccinations are not appreciably speeding this up.

Please don't mix up bacteria and viruses... they are very different, and our medicines fighting them work in completely different ways.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

Question What does immigration have to do with the flu??? Question

We have a population coming across our borders unchecked, and here in Leftyfornia we now have sanctuary cities (protection) These people do not get their immunizations or control disease as we do, we are exposed, our kids are exposed. It's not just flu's, it's viral/bacterial carriers. My wife is from Singapore, when she came here she was required to vaccinate for several diseases, like when I went to Peru, I protected myself and their population by vaccinating.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

Let's not get into immigration stuff please as this is political minefield.

You are just as likely to get something from someone flying in from BFE.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

Several weeks ago wife and I had to road trip and care for relative in a nursing home, he had two broken arms and is partially paralyzed from waist down. Signs on the door warning of active flu virus upon entering premises. Stayed about two days no ill effects, but two weeks ago wife went back by herself and stayed 4 days plus a plane ride to and from. Last Saturday evening she had flu symptoms so off to urgicare center. Tested negative for virus however they prescribed Tamiflu, bed rest and cough medicine. Fever never got over 100 and yesterday it broke. Cannot be sure the vaccine helped her along with Tamiflu but it was a mild case of something. Thinking it’s better to err on the side of caution. So far I haven’t been sick, physically that is.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

Man it’s fun to dig up an old thread especially if it’s something relevant. Flu season is here and then there’s the other thing which we must not mention. 😒

Wife and I thought it would be good idea to get those flu shots last weekend. They warned us of reactions as if they knew it was gonna be unpleasant. Hell yes it was unpleasant with body aches, chills mild fever and muscle soreness for about 36 hours. It’s over now we are back to normal. Earlier this year we got shingles vaccine and pneumonia vaccine to cover 23 different types of that. Science is a wonderful thing so is preventive medicine. It felt kinda like this . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu3_2w4ff6Q
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The flu Reply with quote

I've taken flu shots for years and never had a reaction. I think this is pretty typical. Got mine a couple of weeks ago. I don't want to be weakened by flu and therefore be more vulnerable to "other" things.

The flu shot is a guess based on projections from a year or two prior, so it's not perfect. But with it free, and without side effects, why not?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: