Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Slow out of a stop
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

If so another leak would not likely cause issues. Do the check I describe to rule out the tranny or quickly confirm its the issue.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

I wasn't trying to say that the haphazard approach to fuel line replacement was causing the performance issue. Just giving a heads up to replace all the lines before the other old lines that weren't replaced start to leak and the van bursts into flames.
Nickel_Nackel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

I just replaced my entire fuel system about a month ago and it took me about 2 days. but i work slow. its pretty easy after watching youtube videos and reading threads on here. just time consuming with how many hose clamps you need to screw on. but its very straight forward, just measure the hose cut the hose and replace the hose.
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

WannaDriveFar wrote:
. . . My thinking, after hearing the warnings of others, was that perhaps it had sprung another leak . . .

Don't worry, if you have even the smallest gasoline leak, you'll know it. Or should I say, you'll smell it.

Richie (near The City of Champions)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eug_camper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

Getting a bit far from the original topic, but...

My mechanic found cracking in our '87 tintop's fuel lines. I had him replace the whole works. In talking to him, it came out that Vanagon fuel lines carry a lot of pressure and so have to be special reinforced fuel lines - more expensive than regular (whatever that may be) at $5/foot. If you elect to do this yourself, be sure to get the right hose.

I was not confident in being able to do the work myself, so my mechanic did it. Parts around $120 including new spark plugs, labor about twice that - indicates that threading fuel lines about is tedious work.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

I seriously think that using AAA, assuming you have it, to tow your van to a shop that has vanagon expertise may save you time and money in the long run.

But maybe there's a good shop closer to you, IDK.

If your van won't go over 35 and you have to put your hazards on in traffic, you are essentially broke down and AAA is warranted. Been there and done that...
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Wow. My award for "the most convoluted thread of the week" here.

OP says "my mechanic replaced my fuel lines", then a few minutes ago in response to others warning about fuel lines says he "will replace his own fuel lines". I'm confused. Were the fuel lines replaced by your mechanic or not?

Regarding the symptoms. How about we stick with the symptoms. Drive the van. Come to a stop. Press on the gas to drive away. If it won't accelerate as normal in a second or two, immediately pull the auto shifter to "1" and don't change anything else. Does the van suddenly have power and pull normally? If so, your mechanic likely messed with the throttle cable and trans kickdown cable and did not properly reinstall things because it appears the transmission is the problem. Stop and repeat. Then stop and put the car in Drive and head back to the mechanic.

Don't suspect a sticking brake, low fuel pressure, or full ashtrays. Stick to the transmission as the suspect.

One HUGE caution. If your mechanic messed with the throttle cable and tranny kickdown and did something wrong, there is also a potential the throttle can STICK OPEN because things are not properly installed.

Doug

If you had a fuel leak, I'd expect you'd be either seeing the drip or smelling it. Thus I'd consider IdahoDoug suggestions as noted above.

Craig
WannaDriveFar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

Just a quick update: I didn't get around to working with the van today, but I have been keeping up with the thread. Tomorrow morning I will try Doug's test and report back with my findings.
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

i have this problem too. i have been trying to solve it for a year or more. symptoms match yours and i have a laundry list of new stuff. don’t know how to help you and don’t know how to help myself.
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

I am also experiencing this on a 1990. If I come to a stop after an hour+ on the highway, it stumbles and bogs down when I try to pull away. Once I get going it runs fine again and might not happen the next time, very annoying.

I have a new cat, distributor, coil, plugs, wires, throttle body w/ switch. I want to replace the Idle Air Control Valve and Idle Control Unit, but I can never find them in stock. Only other thing I can think of is the AFM. This is on an auto trans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AceTaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

I had this same issue with a 91 automatic. Long story short, it turned out to be the AFM. The door was binding and slow to open from an idle position. Once it got past the spot where it was binding, it drove perfectly normal.
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

Easy enough, rebuilt AFM on order. They even had one rebuilt Idle Control Unit in stock!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WannaDriveFar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

Soooooooo... right before I started having this issue and the fuel line I replaced a hose in a location that required me to detach the AFM and reattach it after finished the work. I'm definitely going to try looking at that first thing in the morning,

Also, the hose I took out was .5" in diameter but I replaced it with one that was .75" in diameter. The mechanic said this shouldn't have anything to do with it. Second opinions?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

You replaced this hose right. I don't think you can really mess up much from removing the airbox and airflow meter. It is possible you helped create a bigger vacuum leak in the 'elbow' boot piece where the AFM clamps to. Also ensure properly clamped AFM to boot.

Edit: also you mentioned working below the airflow meter. Did you happen to disconnect spark plug wires or fuel injector connectors?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

WannaDriveFar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
You replaced this hose right. I don't think you can really mess up much from removing the airbox and airflow meter. It is possible you helped create a bigger vacuum leak in the 'elbow' boot piece where the AFM clamps to. Also ensure properly clamped AFM to boot.

Edit: also you mentioned working below the airflow meter. Did you happen to disconnect spark plug wires or fuel injector connectors?

Yes, that's the hose. All of this nonsense started the day after I replaced that. I don't recall any part of the process being particularly challenging. How would I check for leaks?
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

What happened to the simple transmission test?
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

WannaDriveFar wrote:
Soooooooo... right before I started having this issue and the fuel line I replaced a hose in a location that required me to detach the AFM and reattach it after finished the work. I'm definitely going to try looking at that first thing in the morning,

Also, the hose I took out was .5" in diameter but I replaced it with one that was .75" in diameter. The mechanic said this shouldn't have anything to do with it. Second opinions?

Wait!

I thought you said it never ran well???

Now this all started when you replaced a hose???

In mechanics, there is an over riding cause and effect rule.
If you have a problem immediately after making a repair, go back to that repair and figure out why.
Did younhook something up wrong?
Did you knock something off in the general area?
Did you break something?
Did you replace a 1/2" hose with a 3/4" hose?

This cause and effect is why you do only ONE repair at a time between test drives. . That way if there is a problem, you know where to look.
Granted, the truth is that this isn't aways possible or feasible, but for a novice mechanic it is certainly the best way.

WannaDriveFar wrote:
djkeev wrote:
Has it run right since you got it back with the fuel line repair?

No?

Check your firing order, maybe they pulled plug wires and mixed them up.

Dave

I just got the van back yesterday and drove it for about 2 hours. It seems to drive fine except for out of stops. I can't necessarily say it's run "right" because I've never not had issues with my van, so I'm not entirely sure what right feels like. But I had no other major concerns.

Good Luck, I hope you are finally on the right track here.

I will say that you are discouraging some very helpful and smart people by blowing off their suggestions.
I'd think twice before continuing down this slippery slope.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WannaDriveFar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
What happened to the simple transmission test?

It didn't seem to make a difference. I still struggled.
WannaDriveFar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Wait!

I thought you said it never ran well???

Now this all started when you replaced a hose???

Let me clarify!
This specific issue did start after I replaced the hose. "It never ran well" refers to the fact that I have spent MONTHS with it in shops and $10,000+ in repairs since I bought it last September. (Ended up needing a new engine)

I thought that the hose wasn't a big deal because the slow start issue and fuel line pop happened simultaneously and multiple people told me that the hose was not a related part.
WannaDriveFar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow out of a stop Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Has it run right since you got it back with the fuel line repair?

No?

Check your firing order, maybe they pulled plug wires and mixed them up.

Dave

I have attempted to do this to the best of my ability:
I used this chart https://www.vanagon.org/cylinder-identification/ and this chart https://www.vanagon.org/distributor-firing-order/ to make sure that each plug was going in the correct order from one to the other.

The numbers lined up (1 to 1, 2 to 2, etc.) and both went in the correct order clockwise.
The only difference between mine and the diagram is that my 1 on the distributor cap is in the top left instead of the bottom right. Would this make a difference?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: