Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No crank, nothing at all, intermittent
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: No crank, nothing at all, intermittent Reply with quote

Been having this very intermittent issue, maybe 2-3 times a year but now it’s becoming more frequent.

When I turn the key there is nothing that happens, just the red lights on the cluster light up. But no cranking or fuel pump whine. Every time though, so far, a few tries later it will start up easily. I figure it’s getting worse and will leave me stranded soon enough.

I have a spare ignition switch and am thinking that might be the cause.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: No crank, nothing at all,intermittent Reply with quote

Is this a standard transmission bus?

I would clean the connection at black/red wire (50) to starter then try the spare switch. Theres info here on how to swap in a new ignition switch for testing purposes.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: No crank, nothing at all, intermittent Reply with quote

Manual transmission. Thanks
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: No crank, nothing at all,intermittent Reply with quote

Well... Hmm, no fuel pump sound either.. I'd take the fuse/relay cover off and leave the key in the 'on' position, tap around a bit on the relays and see if the fuel pump noise comes on. When it does, give a quick twist on the key to the start position and see if it cranks then.

Otherwise, ya, ignition switch. Always carry a spare or three.. Them R cheep, really
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: No crank, nothing at all, intermittent Reply with quote

pomfritz wrote:
Manual transmission. Thanks

Ok. Wanted to rule out potential issue at Park/Neutral switch.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: No crank, nothing at all, intermittent Reply with quote

Fyi

When I bought the van 3 yrs ago the ignition switch and fuel pump were just replaced by a mechanic of the POs. I’ve heard the switches can be short lived.
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: No crank, nothing at all, intermittent Reply with quote

Do you hear the fuel pump spin or no?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: No crank, nothing at all, intermittent Reply with quote

If you wait for a few minutes then turn the key once from off to ignition on (not to turn starter position), do you hear the fuel pump prime?

This may not apply to Digijet but on my '88 Digifant, if key was turned to ignition on, (not to starter turn position) ignition off, ignition on in quick successions, the fuel pump wouldn't prime each time; it only primed on first turn of key to ignition on or if I waited at least a few seconds between attempts. The engine started fine every time so that pump (ECU) behaviour may be normal.

some ignition switch quality is poor, some is fine.

If the battery connections are clean, and 50 connection at starter and/or ignition switch aren't the issue.....

Bentley shows how to bypass the fuel pump relay to make pump run even if engine is off. That would be my next step.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: No crank, nothing at all, intermittent Reply with quote

pomfritz wrote:
Fyi

When I bought the van 3 yrs ago the ignition switch and fuel pump were just replaced by a mechanic of the POs. I’ve heard the switches can be short lived.

In most (all?) cases when people find the switches to be short lived, it is really an overly worn lock cylinder housing that does not rotate the ignition switch the appropriate amount. After swapping the housing, all of the switches that 'failed' usually work fine with the new housing.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: No crank, nothing at all, intermittent Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:

In most (all?) cases when people find the switches to be short lived, it is really an overly worn lock cylinder housing that does not rotate the ignition switch the appropriate amount. After swapping the housing, all of the switches that 'failed' usually work fine with the new housing.

Thats a good tip. Thanks for posting that.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: No crank, nothing at all, intermittent Reply with quote

Issue hasn’t occurred since I posted about it so that must’ve solved it. 🙂

Currently I’m suffering from the “can’t find the part I bought and need to reorder so it shows up again” syndrome.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: No crank, nothing at all, intermittent Reply with quote

pomfritz wrote:
Currently I’m suffering from the “can’t find the part I bought and need to reorder so it shows up again” syndrome.

That's an excellent description! It's a perception issue that I can totally relate to and can even explain. The psychological state of 'needing but not having' is mutually exclusive from the state of 'having' and so when you are in the former state of mind then your brain actually filters out any helpful information about the item that you 'need but don't have'. The more you 'need it because you don't have it', the more accurately your brain will filter it from your consciousness. Sometimes the item can actually be right in front of your face but you cannot see it - it is simply filtered out. The reason the initial item 'reappears' once you purchase the second one is because the act of purchasing the second one intrinsically moves you into the 'having' state of mind and so your brain no longer filters the initial item out of your perception. As an alternative to purchasing a 'new one', I've found that taking a moment (or three) to sit quietly with my eyes shut and NOT think about where the item is but instead imagine simply having the item, holding it, touching it, and imagining the thrilling feeling of finding it and then going and doing something else completely off the subject causes it to 'reappear' in short order.
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: No crank, nothing at all, intermittent Reply with quote

Yes I think we very much need a Vanagon shrink on this forum. 😀
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: No crank, nothing at all, intermittent Reply with quote

I find it very helpful to use a flashlight, in broad daylight, when digging through my parts bin or toolbox. My visual and mental focus automatically goes to the point of light and when it shines upon the item- voila!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: