Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SA oiling/splash plates
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: SA oiling/splash plates Reply with quote

I am currently getting my trans rebuilt. The builder said that pinion oiling plate could leak and suggested just the 4th gear splash plate. I agreed at first and then didn't see where anyone was doing just the one plate.

I called him today saying I did want the pinion oiling plate since they may influence each other in the case and that's how vw wanted them , as a pair.

Is using both plates the right thing to do? Stock gearing, full rebuild with TBD.

Last edited by JDub113 on Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: SA oiling/splash plates Reply with quote

I believe there's some confusion as to which plates we're talking about.

Here's the 4th gear splash plate:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's the pinion bearing drip plate:

Neither of the above plates will cause leaks.

However, there are a number of ways to bolster mainshaft bearing support, and the "full plate" style CAN leak ..

.. unless a secondary seal is applied. Regardless of how ugly this applied sealant is, this is the only way to be assured no leaks will develop (as rare as this may be), when using this style plate.

Alika sells another type of bearing plate (Euro style) which doesn't leak. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1978288

Waldi makes one that's pretty neat, because it requires no machining of the Low gear housing (Syncro application), and works in conjunction with the stock retaining tab.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: SA oiling/splash plates Reply with quote

I cleaned up the post so it makes sense. The plate in question is the pinion bearing plate, doesn't that mount on the bottom? It's not the full plate. It seems either way, it should be installed too right?
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: SA oiling/splash plates Reply with quote

As I explained, the pinion bearing drip/splash plate can't leak, and no it doesn't mount "on the bottom". In fact, you can see how it's hung from the top of the housing. How can a fully internal plate leak?

I still believe your builder must be referring to the style mainshaft ball bearing retainer plate that CAN leak "along the bottom".

While I don't think much of either splash plate, I'd have no problem using the 4th gear splash plate alone. However, both have been known to come loose on rare occasion.

If adding a pump, I'd use one of Sodo's squirters and NOT use the splash plate.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: SA oiling/splash plates Reply with quote

Backing Paul's comments here, I'd install both and also don't understand the mechanic's "leak" comment. Paul showed the 3rd product which is a full plate to support the main bearing which could cause leaks in case your mechanic is thinking of THAT. This is not a splash plate like you're thinking of having.

Both of these splash plates you're wanting installed are entirely internal and simply cannot cause leaks. They merely divert gear oil flow directly onto a known issue to help.

I am neither a machinist, nor particularly gifted in wrench swinging but have been doing it for 40 years as a hobby. But I was able to drill the holes (not all the way through - THAT would cause a leak) for both of these plates myself on a summer day with my hand tools and install them correctly and safely.

So clarify what this guy's concern is and he may have a misunderstanding. I agree these should both be in place - easy peasy.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: SA oiling/splash plates Reply with quote

We talked about drilling into the case so it's not the full plate. I don't know why he mentioned leaks. I think I feel better about both plates now. I hope they don't get loose either.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: SA oiling/splash plates Reply with quote

JDub113 wrote:
We talked about drilling into the case so it's not the full plate. I don't know why he mentioned leaks. I think I feel better about both plates now. I hope they don't get loose either.

It's trivial to seal a screw hole with a screw in it. Thread coated with sealant will do it.

Is this trans for a stock motor or bigger motor? If a 150 HP or more you might consider leaving a path to squirt cooled oil on 4th gear. For that option, the black plastic plate needs to be clearanced and a countersunk bolt used. I have never seen one clearanced.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: SA oiling/splash plates Reply with quote

Also, I used threadlocker and I'm sure your mechanic is familiar with that common substance.

I think you've got it now. Must have been a misunderstanding as this is no more difficult than installing a sun visor. If I recall, they come with a diagram showing distances from reference points for the holes and make it pretty bombproof.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: