Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

46,000 miles T3: rare?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 46,000 miles T3: rare? Reply with quote

I agree with most of the comments above.

I was lucky enough to find a single owner, low mileage 91 vanagon. The van had only 36,000miles on it and it was truly a “time capsule.” There were many clues that reassured me that it was truly a low mileage Vanagon. I was able to get detailed photos of the undercarriage, exterior, interior, etc. The area in and around the engine hatch was pristine, with very few scratches. It literally looked as if the engine hatch had been removed a half dozen times or less. There was nothing missing on the van, the curtain set was pristine. The cup holders looked as though some had never been used. Every single control knob and plastic screw caps were in place. The cigarette lighter was still in the socket. The owner still had the window sticker and the manual and warranty info in the glovebox. Like someone has already mentioned, the paint above the front wheel wells was pristine with no scratches. The carpets looked as if they had just been installed. The seats were surprisingly firm with no signs of wear and tear.

I do agree that the van you are considering does not appear to be a time capsule though I am certainly no expert. I am just going off of my own experience. I did pay someone to do a vehicle inspection of the van I bought which ended up being invaluable. I was able to confirm that it was a low mileage van from the report and also the car fax.

A vanagon with less than 50,000 miles is truly a unicorn. I wish you luck and hope that the van you’re considering is one. If it is, don’t hesitate and buy it if the price is right.

I hope this helps.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 46,000 miles T3: rare? Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
Seat covers are an indication to me of high miles. Take a look under there.
-d

This post wins the chicken dinner. That will tell the tale.
Nickel_Nackel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 46,000 miles T3: rare? Reply with quote

that hideous paint job should tell you all you need about how well it was maintained.

maybe not. But if I was going keep a van running I wouldnt ruin it with a shitty paint job.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 46,000 miles T3: rare? Reply with quote

antoinemayer wrote:
A garage is selling a T3 with (only) 46,600 miles. If it is in good shape, should I buy it? What are my chances to find a T3 with such a little mileage if I pass on this one?

Btw, if you guys have some advice on what to check before buying a T3, please let me know.

Thanks for your help,

A. Mayer

46k miles means that many/nearly all parts are oem and need to be replaced. High miles on a 30 year old Vanagon don’t scare me if it's been well-maintained be the POs. A 146K or 246K mile van that’s kept in tip-top shape could be a more reliable start to Vanagon ownership than a 46K mile van. My van has 285K in it and I don’t hesitate to drive it 900 miles in 17 hours - I did that less than two weeks ago.

As for advice on buying a new van, you can start by reading the Buying Guide under General Info in the FAQs here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: