Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rambling on about my old VW bus
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hydrolastic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Rambling on about my old VW bus Reply with quote

Was at work last week and my coworker started talking about his 1981 riviera bus. and i started telling him about the 75 bay window also a riviera i had and what i did to mine.
To start off originally it was a non runner with a transmission problem. I sent the ribbed 75 trans to Transform in California and for 1200 dollars recieved the transmission back with a 4:86 FD and a lower fourth gear these were known as a freeway flyer. It was installed it with a gene berg shifter. The engine a fuel injected 1800 was running but it had a frozen front damper fan bolt and it had issues that made it the most gutless engine ever. It was rebuilt and installed and to my surprise it was not as strong as i expected. i was relegated to 55-60 in the right lane. Now nothing wrong with that but its not my style i just needed a faster bus. Around 93 -94 I ordered a stage 1 or 2 kit from Mark stephens I put the pistons and heads on the engine. At this point i scrounged the salvage yards and got all the missing sheet metal back on the engine along with the later 2 liter computer. Now the bus was becoming what i wanted... Except it was cold it didnt stop that well and on back roads felt like it was going to tip over. Next items were a 4"inline fan in the tube in the middle under the bus. whiteline front and rear sway bars, with kyb shocks, all new brakes. lowered the bus an inch or so. A new set of michelin X tires which were a little squirmy at about 65 it was kindof my speed limiter but i was super happy with the mark stephens engine being able to accelerate up the passes. To top it off i installed a Blaupunt Berlin stereo in it. One of my favorite thing were the curtains lots of fantasia merlins tipped this and that way with his magic wands all over with a couple of moons and other spellike motif. The dark blue going well with the 70's hugger orange paint. What a crusier it was and i ran the bus 9 times up and down the west coast. various trips Canada to Mexico to about 2006. It never broke down! I sold it in a bad decision time. 12 years later i spent an afternoon describing it to my coworker and now to you. I am now thinking about getting a vanagon version and doing the process over again. Thank you Hydro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rambling on about my old VW bus Reply with quote

Welcome! Looking forward to pics.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rambling on about my old VW bus Reply with quote

Nice - I love reading about the passion, and the journey of a vehicle and the struggle it takes to translate that love and passion into a reliable vehicle we can be proud of. Thanks for the insights and the reminders why I love my own Mango.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rambling on about my old VW bus Reply with quote

Funny how when you think you've finally gotten your ride sorted out, there is always "that next thing on the list". Looking forward to seeing the process as it unfolds.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rambling on about my old VW bus Reply with quote

Joined 2006, first post. Cool!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Rambling on about my old VW bus Reply with quote

Not everyone feels the need to share everything, which is cool

Abscate, the oversharer.
Hydrolastic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rambling on about my old VW bus Reply with quote

Found a photo of my old bus! Didn't think any existed sorry its a photo of a photo and i know its an old thread. Hydro
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hydrolastic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rambling on about my old VW bus Reply with quote

Here is my next project, will do a similar thing. Five speed more power better handling. Hydro
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rambling on about my old VW bus Reply with quote

Hydrolastic wrote:
Here is my next project, will do a similar thing. Five speed more power better handling. Hydro

oh this is gonna be fun. i'll make popcorn.

BiWerks Design, LLC
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rambling on about my old VW bus Reply with quote

Cool. I like your style.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: