Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 213, 214, 215 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
evillrdnikon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Does anyone use Mobil 1 oil filters? if so what part number do you use? m1-205? cant find a clear answer on a really good oil filter for my bug. need to do my first oil change on it soon. =D
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I still get my 5-20 zink fix at wallmart. or do i now have to mail order walmart so they deliver it to my car when i pull up? Rolling Eyes

I was just at Wal-Mart getting Mercon V for my new Quick Jack and I didn't see anything that said anything on the bottles about Zinc or flat tappet cams, ZDDP NUTHIN. Even Castrol GTX 20/50 says nothing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Digging up an old subject here about "upper cylinder lube". Not the Marvel injection system, but actually dumping a bit of oil in the fuel tank-------specifically Castrol Racing "R" (SAE 30). I have had a couple of cases of the old school stuff in the basement for over 20 years now. So, rather than put it in the crankcase or just let it lay there in the basement,(only to have it thrown out after I'm gone) why not burn some just to get the Heavenly aroma? (and if you don't know the smell, mere words cannot describe it). For occasional use in a more or less stock engine, what can it hurt?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Digging up an old subject here about "upper cylinder lube". Not the Marvel injection system, but actually dumping a bit of oil in the fuel tank-------specifically Castrol Racing "R" (SAE 30). I have had a couple of cases of the old school stuff in the basement for over 20 years now. So, rather than put it in the crankcase or just let it lay there in the basement,(only to have it thrown out after I'm gone) why not burn some just to get the Heavenly aroma? (and if you don't know the smell, mere words cannot describe it). For occasional use in a more or less stock engine, what can it hurt?

I have used both 2 cycle oil and synthetic engine oil as an upper cylinder wall lube on either a new engine or one that has been sitting. Note that much of the oil you add to your fuel may well end up in your crankcase as what ends up on the cylinder walls is going to be dragged downward into the case by the rings. Not a big deal, but you may well see your crankcase oil level go up a bit.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

evillrdnikon wrote:
Does anyone use Mobil 1 oil filters? if so what part number do you use? m1-205? cant find a clear answer on a really good oil filter for my bug. need to do my first oil change on it soon. =D

Yes i switched to mobil-1 one after K&N oil filters went downhill(mexico). I found the mobil-1 filter is made int eh USA and APPEARS identical to what the K&n used to look like.

There is more than one filter in any brand you can use. I think I'm using 209, but I'd have to look to be sure.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:

Many years ago I had an air-cooled Kawasaki that had a top-end squeak. I put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas and the squeak disappeared. And the bike ran smoother, overall. To me that means it does some good.
evillrdnikon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

so ive been using mobil1 for my dodge ram with 5w-20 fully syn for years and i have not had any issues. I guess since i use it for my truck it'll be a great filtration device for my bug. I dont know the micron level but i hope it is high (low? idk just catch pretty much everything lol).

I just dont know the model correct model numbers to use and being my first oil change on my bug I am unsure of what the correct products are to use. Just dont want to go buy the equipment only to find out it doesnt fit/work and then do the hassle of exchanging/returning.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

evillrdnikon wrote:
so ive been using mobil1 for my dodge ram with 5w-20 fully syn for years and i have not had any issues. I guess since i use it for my truck it'll be a great filtration device for my bug. I dont know the micron level but i hope it is high (low? idk just catch pretty much everything lol).

I just dont know the model correct model numbers to use and being my first oil change on my bug I am unsure of what the correct products are to use. Just dont want to go buy the equipment only to find out it doesnt fit/work and then do the hassle of exchanging/returning.

Assuming you don't have a Mexican engine that came with an oil filter then whatever you have is aftermarket. You are going to need to pull your old filter to know what is on there.
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

An aftermarket filter relocation mount most likely has a 3/4-16 thread which is common to Ford. Motorcraft FL-1A, FL-1HP WIX 51515 (R, XP), K&N HP 3001, Mobil 1 301 or 301A, Fram HP-1, etc....

Here is a quick look at the 51515 specs, http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=193964

You can cross reference your filter here,
http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/filterlookup.aspx

Olli
evillrdnikon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Olli from NJ wrote:
An aftermarket filter relocation mount most likely has a 3/4-16 thread which is common to Ford. Motorcraft FL-1A, FL-1HP WIX 51515 (R, XP), K&N HP 3001, Mobil 1 301 or 301A, Fram HP-1, etc....

Here is a quick look at the 51515 specs, http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=193964

You can cross reference your filter here,
http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/filterlookup.aspx

Olli

awesome thank you for that. I will cross reference what i have. I think mine say Proline or something. I'll get a picture of it when i get home.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Just a fact. There are only 3-4 paper mills in the world that produce the actual filter media that is used in all the many different brands of oil filters.
evillrdnikon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

This is what I’m currently using. It was my first filter. I guess I just want the best protection for my engine. I don’t need a racing filter cuz I hear those are less protective than other as the key more flow through. Been tryouts by to find spec sheets that clearly identify the specs of each oil filter but all that provided is “...99.9%” like where did you get this percentage from? It’s like going to the store and seeing a bag of chips that says “NOW 30% more free or Moreno product. Like where did you get that percentage from? Those are the numbers I want to see. 20 microns 30 microns etc... unless that’s unrealistic for us to see as a consumer

I’ll have to cross refer nice this oil filter to see what matches the correct Mobil 1 or purolatir, or whatever is out there.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

You can use a much longer filter if you so wish and gain media area. Assuming the filter you have has a 3/4x16 thread either the long (FL 1a) or short (FL300) Ford filter should work.
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

PPL14670 is a PepBoys branded Purolator. If you drop the PP the L14670 is the Purolator #. It is a 3/4-16 fitting filter. The direct Wix equivalent would be 51085 http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=160797

You can use whatever 3/4-16 filter that you want. The 51085 is 3.836" in height the 51515 is 5.197" in height. If you have room why not use a bigger filter?

Olli
evillrdnikon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Def gonna get a longer filter! so i was having issues with searching this because i kept the ppl-14670 exactly so on website nothing showed up. I tried dropping off like you guys said and found the same info you guys provided! Thanks =D
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Has anyone use these oils in there air- cooled engines?

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
Has anyone use these oils in there air- cooled engines?

The Motorcraft oil does not appear to be rated for a gasoline engine so off hand I would not recommend it. It looks like it has 1060 ppm phosphorus which may be fine depending on what other antiwear agents are present.

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/ad...20Duty.pdf

For the Walmart oil it is a straight weight oil that means there are no viscosity modifiers to break down which would be a good thing in a cheaper oil. Don't know about the level of antiwear agents, but phosphorus and thus zinc are not restricted in a straight weight oil. I ran a lot of Supertech in my 83 1/2 POS Vanagon, with a beater 1.9L which burned a quart of oil every 300-500 miles. I was able to put 75K additional miles on the engine before it died from causes unrelated to lubrication.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

The motorcraft oil,back side label,says it can be used in gasoline engines without a catalytic.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
The motorcraft oil,back side label,says it can be used in gasoline engines without a catalytic.

How old is your info? Got a picture of the back label to share?

Thanks
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
APPLEGREENVW wrote:

How old is your info? Got a picture of the back label to share?

Thanks

I'll post a photo of the back side label tomorrow.

Here is the photo.

02/76 Beetle sedan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 213, 214, 215 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 214 of 235

Jump to: