Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

guidance on engine upgrade!!
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Avi_cado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: guidance on engine upgrade!! Reply with quote

Hello all! My boyfriend and I bought a '78 camper van in July and have grand ideas of eventually completely restoring it. Neither of us, however, really have any car knowledge so we've been relying heavily on our books and google searches when doing any repairs.

My boyfriend would like to eventually replace the original engine (2000cc fuel injected, I believe) with something with a bit more HP. He made mention of doing a Subaru conversion which I'm not sure I want to do. Also we're moving in the next few months so I don't want to start until the bus is at the new house in a different state.

A mechanic I work with offered me a type 4 with 2700(ish) cc and said the only thing it needs is new gaskets. Asking ~$1000. This guy is a great mechanic and is meticulous with everything I've seen. My question is.... without having any other info, would you say this is potentially a good deal and I should buy it now (knowing I'll have to move it 1500 miles and it won't be installed for several months) or just wait and look into engines after the move?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: guidance on engine upgrade!! Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

I'd say that the engine is worthless if you don't see it run. Where are you located?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: guidance on engine upgrade!! Reply with quote

Could you buy it, or maybe give him half, and have him hold it until you have moved. Or just have him hold it for nothing, but tell him once you have moved, you would come and buy it. Talk to him, you know your situation better than I.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: guidance on engine upgrade!! Reply with quote

Subaru conversions are very common. Takes a bit of work and if being done by someone else, will be costly.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: guidance on engine upgrade!! Reply with quote

ˇBienvenido a la Samba!
Bottom line: it could be a super deal, but a few details about this engine aren't real clear right now.
Sure that's not a typo? 2700cc is 1 BIGassed mill, & be advised that it's likely built for a few more ponies than stock. Perhaps ask about it's cam, cylinder size, compression ratio, any headwork & warranty.
Seems like a win-win, especially since you folks lack much auto knowledge.
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Avi_cado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: guidance on engine upgrade!! Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll try to get more info tomorrow!

Brian, I'm currently in AZ
Avi_cado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: guidance on engine upgrade!! Reply with quote

Ok.... got more info...

He put this engine together for his 914, but ended up selling it prior to installing the engine. It was last touched in 2007. Has been sitting on a shelf in his garage since. He doesn't remember all of the exact specs off the top of his head. Here's what he remembers:

Type 4 DTM
2700(ish) CC
75 stroke
103 bore
Valve - standard +2mm
Large valve springs
Aftermarket rocket arms
Standard high performance mods
Standard points distributor (009?)
200-275HP, dependent on intake and exhaust
Has induction system mounts (weber stacks)

*Needs intake and exhaust
*Needs seals replaced
*Suggested to modernize distributor

Offering for $900
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: guidance on engine upgrade!! Reply with quote

Hmm, sounds like a bargain, but it's been "designed" for a 914, quite a bit lighter, and with different gearing, it's probably not the ideal engine for a bus...

Could you perhaps learn to live with the power of the 2.0 for now, until you know more about engines? It was the most powerful engine baywindows were delivered with, and if it can make you feel better, some of us in Euroland have to rely on the type 1 carb'd 1600 to move our busses!!! For us, 2.0 fuelie is a pipe dream!

Don't do Suby onless you arer willing to permanently alter the bus, it'l take quite a bit off the value, and change the character of the vehicle.

just my 0.02$
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: guidance on engine upgrade!! Reply with quote

Unfortunately it would be way too much for a couple of VW novices - this engine is a r Shocked cket, built for the track.
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: guidance on engine upgrade!! Reply with quote

900 bucks? I'll have that number please.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: guidance on engine upgrade!! Reply with quote

Avi_cado wrote:
Type 4 DTM
2700(ish) CC
75 stroke
103 bore
Valve - standard +2mm
Large valve springs
Aftermarket rocket arms

*Needs seals replaced

Offering for $900

The only meaningful information this tells you is the engine is a 75X103 = 2500cc. All the rest is just fancy marketing lingo to sound better than it really is, including the 200-275 HP guess.

A complete running engine might be worth the $900.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: guidance on engine upgrade!! Reply with quote

Avi_cado wrote:
Ok.... got more info...

He put this engine together for his 914, but ended up selling it prior to installing the engine. It was last touched in 2007. Has been sitting on a shelf in his garage since. He doesn't remember all of the exact specs off the top of his head. Here's what he remembers:

Type 4 DTM
2700(ish) CC
75 stroke
103 bore
Valve - standard +2mm
Large valve springs
Aftermarket rocket arms

*Needs seals replaced

Offering for $900

There is a LOT wrong...or potentially wrong...or downright difficult ... in this list.
Understand that 2.7L is a HUGE engine for a type 4. Lots of machine work and probably 5-6 cylinder stud modifications and clearancing for a stroker crank...and the stroker crank itself....means lots of cutting, grinding and milling.

DO NOT...accept 2700-ish as an acceptable displacement. If a person build an engine this advanced...and it is an advanced type 4 engine...and does not know teh exact cc's to within 1cc....thats a HUGE, HUGE problem statement on attention to detail...which an engine like this will require in spades.

This is NOT a type 1 engine.

1. There are no "standard" performance mods for a type 4. Have that statement explained VERY CAREFULLY...in great detail

2. Whose aftermarket rocker arms. There have been VERY few for a type 4....ever. Maybe Car Craft or Pauter....and all have been problematic for anything but racing as most are needle bearing.

3. Valves...standard +2mm???? Standard +2mm...for what engine?
A 1.7? a 1.8? a 2.0?. The 2.0L valves...42mm x 36mm...would put that in the 44mm x 38mm range....for a 2.7L engine....maybe.
And for an engine like that...I would want to know whose valves and what series. It will make a huge difference.

And...would want to know EXACTLY WHO built the heads...and how the seats were installed. That makes the difference between life or death for an engine like this.

4. While standard points ignition is just fine....a 009 is NOT fine. 009's run like crap with virtually every type 4 built unless it was totally rebuilt and recurved. Find out.

5. Large valve springs means nothing...and may actually be a detriment. 44 x 38 valves do not actually require much more than what is stock ...which already a single HD valve spring....unless you are running high lift and high revs....and in that case....

6. You need to know exactly what cam and what lifters. You put the wrong cam in a type 4 engine like this and it can be junk.

7. What oil pump?....and if its not a factory type 4 pump...or at least a stock sized pump....how is the oil pressure being controlled?

8. The exhaust you will require to keep an engine like that running cool...will cost you more than $1000. Again...its not a type 1 and type 4 performance exhaust systems do not grow on trees.

9. Excellent carbs to feed that will cost $500+

Lastly....if it was set up for a 914....a 2200 lb vehicle....with moderately high gearing compared to your 4000+ lb bus with very low gearing....the torque and rpm range will be totally different for what you require.

I would pass on it. Not saying its not worth $1000....but is just nowhere near what you require. Ray
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: guidance on engine upgrade!! Reply with quote

Can you get some pictures of the engine? Some pictures of the heads without the valve covers on too?
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: guidance on engine upgrade!! Reply with quote

For the money I'd snap it up and fit a mild bus friendly cam and make sure the CR was down to stock. For not much money you'd have a stonking bus engine. If I didn't have a clue I'd still buy it and worry about the details later. Others are more cautious.
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: guidance on engine upgrade!! Reply with quote

For investment reliability I'd go with the Subaru swap for long term. ...there is a utube channel that documents the entire swap....this route will set you back about 5g....but in the end, you will get many, many years of enjoyment out of your bus without a single wrench involved!

Good luck with your search.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: guidance on engine upgrade!! Reply with quote

veeweeman wrote:
For investment reliability I'd go with the Subaru swap for long term. ...there is a utube channel that documents the entire swap....this route will set you back about 5g....but in the end, you will get many, many years of enjoyment out of your bus without a single wrench involved!

Good luck with your search.

I agree that a subaru swap would be "Better" as a end result after everything is done and a experienced enthusiest had put in a zillion hours working out the "bugs".

But in a situation where a couple is not very experienced, suggesting the long journey of a subaru swap is un realistic. Paying someine else to do it is unrealistic. Its not something a non car person simply goes on youtube and figures it out. Those you tube videos are meant for hardcore gearheads that have the ability to complete crazy projects.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: