Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

The noise was a combination of a couple loose valves and not having the the rear apron tin installed. And probably my paranoia that I get every time I do major work.

I took a stethoscope to the motor while it was running and it sounds good. Those things are amazing....I could hear fuel pumping thru the fuel pump.

Next: Adjust the clutch...no play. New battery....this one is boiling. The volts checked out fine coming from the generator. It's an old battery so might as well replace it before it blows up on me. Also should finish the carpet install.

Time is getting harder to come by these days!
Bosch 034

Long Gone: 70 Vert, 66, 68, 73SB, 70, 72, 61 Rag and a 64 with a cinder block in the spare tire well.
mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

A little free time today so I installed the new carpet.

TMI charcoal. Fit was fair but after a little trimming it looks fine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bosch 034

Long Gone: 70 Vert, 66, 68, 73SB, 70, 72, 61 Rag and a 64 with a cinder block in the spare tire well.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

Where did you have to trim? I’m thinking of going TMI for a new carpet and a heads up would be nice Very Happy .

Tim

Richard O'Brien
mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

Mostly around seat frame. Not a problem Tim
Bosch 034

Last edited by mikewilkinson007 on Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

Not complaining but I switched from the H case (single relief) to an AH dual relief case and my bug runs markedly different.

I'm guessing the cam is either different or in better shape? I reused my heads and carb setup etc. So it is essentially the same motor outside the "small block".

Before the switch, the motor felt strained and didn't like running over 3500 rpm.

Now it wants to rev to 4500 and sounds really happy at 70 MPH where before it liked about 55 MPH!

So I'm guessing a combination of things. The old case was probably at the end of it's life and ready for a rebuild. But the performance gains by switching to the dual relief case are wonderful.

Issue: I was not able to use my old breather tube that went under the motor so now I have a generator stand and breather cap that is open. Getting some oil out of that so I'll need to address it. I may just run a tube up high and see if that solves the problem.
Bosch 034

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

Hey thats good news Mike, congrats on the new motor!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

That "tube" is the PCV or Positive Crankcase Ventalation system. It allows the crankcase air to maintain an equilibrium with the running engine. As gases are being pulled into the engine and pushed out, the little bit of mixed air that circumvents through the rings, into the crankcase, get sucked into the intake stream and are then burned up in combustion. It is a good system when in place and reduces volital organic compounds from entering the air we breathe.

Sometimes, excessive blow by at the piston rings, shows up as excessive oil coming out of the PCV (breather) hose. A compression check would prove or disprove poor sealing rings.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

Quote:
Sometimes, excessive blow by at the piston rings, shows up as excessive oil coming out of the PCV (breather) hose. A compression check would prove or disprove poor sealing rings

Yes I know. And thanks. Compression is good and these are new P&C's....well, they were good not long ago 1200 miles on them . It's possible I turned a ring when I switched them to the new case but I didn't remove them from the cylinders so....more investigation!
Bosch 034

mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Hey thats good news Mike, congrats on the new motor!

Hey Buggeee! Thanks man!
Bosch 034

mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

Bit of a milestone today!

Bosch 034

mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

Just checking in. No updates because I’m just blissfully driving her daily. Didn’t want you guys to think I fell off this flat earth 🌏 (yes, I’m kidding)

Bosch 034

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

Big accomplishment to achieve daily driver status! Get in, start her up, and drive off with reasonable confidence in the reliability. Good work.
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

Good stuff! Very Happy
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

Time for winter rebuild. Had the case checked and it measured out perfect as a first cut case.

Ordered:

All bearings.
Dual Port Heads
Dual Port Manifold for the ICT’s.
Studs, gaskets etc
Chromoly Pushrod’s
87mm P&C
Exhaust
Rear Tin.
All kinds of bolts, nuts, gaskets, main seal, Heater hoses, clamps...on and on.
Generator Stand.

Case is cleaned and ready. Maybe I’ll do photo updates of the build so you guys can keep me in line. The problem I’m having now is my phone takes pics with too many pixels or something, so they won’t load. I’ll figure it out.
Bosch 034

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

mikewilkinson007 wrote:

Maybe I’ll do photo updates of the build so you guys can keep me in line. The problem I’m having now is my phone takes pics with too many pixels or something, so they won’t load. I’ll figure it out.

My phone does the same. I just load them onto my computer and open them in Microsoft "Paint". There's a "re-size" feature in Paint. I re-size them to 1600 x 900 and they're good to go on this site. The max size, for this site, is 1600 pixels, so you can also make them 1600 x 1600, but I like the 1600 x 900 format for most pics.

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

1641 Long Block....went pretty smooth.

On to the top!
M

Bosch 034

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

Is this the same case you installed in March? Sounds like it is a solid foundation for a rebuild. What company's heads did you buy? Were the old heads still usable? Reusing the original stock cam?
docdanracy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

Great work on your Bug!
Considering doing dual 34s on my 1679 SP.
How do you like the carbs and comparison to you single carb
On this motor

For this car

Empi shifter, full compliment of gauges, 1679 with mild cam, stock induction

SOLD: 1974 Marina Blue Standard Beetle undergoing restoration/preservation
1679 with Kadrons and header/QP
914 sport wheels 5.5" ET40 wrapped in 195x65x15 Kumhos
mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Is this the same case you installed in March? Sounds like it is a solid foundation for a rebuild. What company's heads did you buy? Were the old heads still usable? Reusing the original stock cam?

Hey Rome.

Yes it is that case. It was in good shape so no machine work. The heads are Chinese and the cam was in great shape. The old single ports are still good too but I wanted dual ports with the 34’s and the 1641. I’ll report back on how it runs ASAP.
Bosch 034

mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 72 Super Semi-Resto Thread Reply with quote

docdanracy wrote:
Great work on your Bug!
Considering doing dual 34s on my 1679 SP.
How do you like the carbs and comparison to you single carb
On this motor

For this car

Doc.

I noticed a huge improvement with the 34’s over my 34pict3. However, I added a Tri-Mill Hotdog exhaust at the same time. Either way, it ran much better and tuning is a breeze.

Also: That is a beautiful bug and your motor looks great.
Bosch 034

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: