Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exhaust fumes in cabin
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
velociraptorclintthrust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Exhaust fumes in cabin Reply with quote

My bugs cabin always has a fairly strong exhaust smell in it, even when I drive with both the windows down and the heater off.

When I do turn the heater on it starts to smell like a WW2 submarine but doesn't seem like it contributes to the fumes.

I know the car needs a new engine compartment seal, could that be part of the problem?

A lot of the smell is probably retained in the seats and carpets, but I would like to find the source before I clean them up.

Anything else I should check?

76 super beetle 1600
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust fumes in cabin Reply with quote

Most likely the exhaust manifold in one or both of the heater boxes is rotted through. You should check the entire exhaust system but new heater boxes will likely fix the problem. I had this problem in a 67 I owned in New England. Couldn't afford heater boxes so I drove without heat right through the winter including 250 mile trips to and from college. Not fun.

'73 Saturn Yellow Sports Bug that has undergone a full pan off restoration. "Herbert IV."

'67 Sedan. "Bellamy." Currently being "refreshed" and recently repainted.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust fumes in cabin Reply with quote

oooh....you have a 76... Stock heater boxes? That system is expensive. Something you could do to confirm it's related to the heater boxes is remove the flexible hose from the heater box and stuff a rag into the body fitting and see if there is a noticable improvement.

Its very possible that your heater box flappers are not closed the whole way, so you are always pushing some exhaust into the cabin....

Engine seal will contribute to it, but I would think its more of an issue when sitting still.

BUT are you sure its not a gasoline smell? The hoses on the fuel tank typically break down and you will smell gas all the time...Rub your finger along some of the smaller hoses on the tank fill and overflow and see yoy smell gas on your finger. Also if your tank vent is messed up, you will get gas smells.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust fumes in cabin Reply with quote

If the so-called 'death foam' in the rear quarter panels has been removed, that could also contribute to exhaust fumes into the cabin.

Just another possibility
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
velociraptorclintthrust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust fumes in cabin Reply with quote

All right took those tubes off the heater boxes and stuffed rags in them I'll drive it for a while and see if it makes a difference.

Those rear quarter panels have rusted through and I can see that there is still foam in there.

Yeah those heater boxes are 300 dollars each eh hoho..

I don't think its gasoline I don't see any around the hoses and the trunk smells fine
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust fumes in cabin Reply with quote

Well...was hoping for a cheap fix.....If you are planning on changing to a header at some point, you can adapt regular heater boxes to a later car. I have a 78 vert in the shop right now that I did that on a couple years ago. You just have to get a little creative with connecting the cables but I dont seem to remember it being real difficult.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust fumes in cabin Reply with quote

test out the atmosphere inside the cabin with a Carbon Monoxide alarm. You may be alarmed at what it finds. you don't want a real exhaust leak into the cabin, deadly ! I had a cracked exchanger in a car, used my home CO detector to determine it was not safe to use the heater till the exchanger was repaired. odorless and colorless, killer, but often other gasses are present with CO in our Bugs, so you do smell something, but not always. don't take chances, test the air in the Bug with one.

Bug On, stay safe, stay alive, good luck!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: