Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

jack stand placement
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
robert reese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: jack stand placement Reply with quote

I have done the search, but still wonder where jack stand should go. sub frame ? where is the sub frame ? Any pictures of eurovan up on stands.I hope I am not sounding to dumb but I want to be safe not hunt or dead, thanks.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: jack stand placement Reply with quote

Ill shoot some today - give me a few minutes

PS - not really a topic you can ever ask a dumb question about.
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: jack stand placement Reply with quote

As it's now a week since I bought my '97, I've scratched my head about jacking/jack stands, and lots of other odds or ends. IS THERE a copy of the basic owner's manual available online? I doubt it's protected by copyright, so if it isn't, could an owner either scan it or snap pics of all the pages, and make it available on this site or anywhere else on line?
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: jack stand placement Reply with quote

If you are using the stock jack that comes with the van, there are indentions just behind the front wheel and just in front of the rear wheel, that locate where you should be placing the jack on the pinch weld. I've used those positions without any issue. I've seen plenty of vans that have damage from jacking anywhere else on the pinch weld. If your van is completely sacked down with weight, I wouldn't jack on any part of the pinch weld.

Here's a poor picture that I've yellow boxed the spots I'm referring to.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've often jacked the front end up on the frame similar to this picture. disregard the jack stands.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I haven't done it yet, but I like the idea someone said about just jacking the rear up from the hitch, if you have one.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jonathannickel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: jack stand placement Reply with quote

I've jacked the camper up using the hitch, but on my GW-lifted van I needed a piece of wood on top of my floor jack because the hitch is so high.
Worked great. Be sure to chock your front wheels.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: jack stand placement Reply with quote

Driveway lifting review

Hard level surface. No dirt or stone or grass

Block chock the opposite wheel To that being lifted, eg, if you lift the front left , block the rear right

Block means TWO chocks/blocks on each side of that wheel. Handbrake on hard, gear in or park.

I have two modes of safety

1. 1 wheel working where I’m not underneath....jack stand, and jack remains in contact with frame as safety near where I’m working

2. Underneath or heavy parts moving..I put a 4x4 under the frame on two more jack stands as a hard safety
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: