Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

help with chrome shop
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ragged63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: help with chrome shop Reply with quote

I am having a hard time finding a shop to chrome my vent wing frames and division bars, willing to ship but I would love to use a shop that you guys can recommend, thank you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: help with chrome shop Reply with quote

From my understanding there are very few left due to the EPA regulations. I was referred to Space Coast Metal finishing here in Florida when I was looking. There is another place in Tennessee that was mentioned but I forgot their name.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: help with chrome shop Reply with quote

I used this place to do some Ford unibody pieces. Good job but get dig deep as with any good chrome shop anymore. reasonable turn around time.
http://saltlakechrome.com/
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: help with chrome shop Reply with quote

There out there, but proceed with caution, not great orgainizers,and tend to lose things, get referrals from folks in your area.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: help with chrome shop Reply with quote

I used these guys and really liked the results. Good turnaround time and the quality was perfect.

www.carchrome.com/

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: help with chrome shop Reply with quote

All my Chrome plating is done exclusively at one place, been using these guys for years. https://www.artisticsilverplating.com
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: help with chrome shop Reply with quote

Working with Librandi in PA. Be prepared for sticker shock....Nobody is cheap anymore. And lead time in most places that I had check with is several months.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: help with chrome shop Reply with quote

Sihilling Metal Polishing, Santa Ana, Ca. Family owned, 3rd generation. Used by many 356 restorers. Very Happy
JoePolo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: help with chrome shop Reply with quote

In California there is one name in show plating Sherm’s Plating out of Sacramento, CA. Expensive but you get what you pay for they are the best.
ragged63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: help with chrome shop Reply with quote

thank you to all for responding, so I'm ready to do this. So I;m having the vent wing frames and the division bars, what would be a fair price for this, not going cheap just want a ball park figure..
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: help with chrome shop Reply with quote

This is where things get complicated. There are multiple pieces to each vent window. The frame, upper hinge, drip tray, latch... Have you removed all the parts from one another? Will you be using the original latch? Repro ones are different. Are you going to separate the upper hinge from the frame and re-rivet? Some shops are willing to plate them assembled, but quality can suffer, depending on how much time they are willing to spend on minutia. Re-rivet jobs can often look bad too! Best shops de-chrome the parts before any polishing is done. Polishing must be done before any plating is applied. That's why i like to use a shop that specializes in polishing. Parts with deep pits will need repeated plating with copper to fill the pits, with additional complete polishing after each coat to maintain detail. Low quality shops just belt (sand) the chrome off and grind away, ruining your parts.
Here is an example:
http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?...4e4fe7f673
So, what are you trying to achieve? Full concours? How bad are your parts? You might consider buying very nice used ones that clean up well for low prices. That original chrome can still look quite good after decades. Good stuff. NOS parts can also be found right here on thesamba. Some rechrome jobs can look bad after unwrapping them after only a single year in storage. So how much does it cost to chrome? $300? $1000? What's a henway?
ragged63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: help with chrome shop Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
This is where things get complicated. There are multiple pieces to each vent window. The frame, upper hinge, drip tray, latch... Have you removed all the parts from one another? Will you be using the original latch? Repro ones are different. Are you going to separate the upper hinge from the frame and re-rivet? Some shops are willing to plate them assembled, but quality can suffer, depending on how much time they are willing to spend on minutia. Re-rivet jobs can often look bad too! Best shops de-chrome the parts before any polishing is done. Polishing must be done before any plating is applied. That's why i like to use a shop that specializes in polishing. Parts with deep pits will need repeated plating with copper to fill the pits, with additional complete polishing after each coat to maintain detail. Low quality shops just belt (sand) the chrome off and grind away, ruining your parts.
Here is an example:
http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?...4e4fe7f673
So, what are you trying to achieve? Full concours? How bad are your parts? You might consider buying very nice used ones that clean up well for low prices. That original chrome can still look quite good after decades. Good stuff. NOS parts can also be found right here on thesamba. Some rechrome jobs can look bad after unwrapping them after only a single year in storage. So how much does it cost to chrome? $300? $1000? What's a henway?

Thank you sir for the insight, yes I have much to think about, it just sucks because these few pieces are holding me up from finishing my oval. I would say that it is a very straight daily driver but not concourse by any means
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: help with chrome shop Reply with quote

You could buy reproduction windows from WW and modify the stem to match your original 54 stems.

This is what I did. If you are not going concourse, I would not worry about. 95% of people will not know the difference.

If you’re worried about the glass logo, install the glass from the originals into the new ones.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: