Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help With Electrical Gremlins
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dualbay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Help With Electrical Gremlins Reply with quote

Hello, I have a 72 bus which has been sitting many years; installed a new fuel sending unit and gauge was working perfectly, turn signals worked etc; then after cleaning a few wires under dash and unbolting turn signal from column everything went nuts. The fuel gauge stopped working and turn signal stopped working completely, not even noise. I did find a brown wire from the ignition that was unhooked so I grounded that - I could not find were it was supposed to go, may have been that way or I may have bumped it not sure, either way it didn't fix anything. If I turn the hazard switch on my fuel gauge now jumps with each movement.

I have gone all through the wiring, cleaned all grounds and tested with ohm meter - grounds appear all good, nothing visibly bad with wiring, fuse box all terminals cleaned and brand new fuses.

The gauge cluster is confusing as the fuel sending unit is controlled by the black and brown wire at the top of the picture - as etched in the metal it appears they are saying the black is 12V and brown ground - however; the brown wire will pulse with power too with hazards on. More confusing, is the turn signal lights which are those blue and red wires, the black wire (again listed as 12V) hooks up to the metal plate to I guess electrify it, then you would think the blue-red wire would have to ground but it also has power, so the result is the lights flash dim or not at all with the hazards on; if I take the bulb and ground it on the cluster case outside of its little island then it lights up significantly brighter when powered by its blue-red wire; however, when powering the bulb by that black wire and running a separate test ground to it - the bulb is very dim. The situation makes no sense to me as the blue-red wire runs directly to fused power #11 and the black wire runs to the turn signal relay switch - which with hazards on sends power down the black wire, so were is ground supposed to come from? Without power on the back of the cluster and those little islands for the bulbs all have proper ground.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The turn signal switch off the steering column pictured below - with the key on if I test those wires none of them have power, shouldn't one of them have power? Also, oddly enough the turn signal lever still does activate high beam on the headlights properly.

Any help or insight is really appreciated, been days spinning my wheels on this, just don't understand how so many things could go bad at once.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Help With Electrical Gremlins Reply with quote

Yes, there needs to be power 12 volts when you turn the key on to the Black wire the dazy chain of wiring to the oil and alternator lights and turn flashers. K2,K3,K5,K5

The power comes from the top of the fuse block the next to the last fuse. Before that it's from the ignition switch 15 wire which also is the power to the ignition coil and before that it's the 30 wire back on the bottom of the fuse block where it joins the Red/Wht wire to the battery see the schematic. Looks like the metal sockets plates for the K2,K3,K5,K5 are at 12volts but the main metal on the back of the instrument cluster is the Neg. ground but not sure.

dualbay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Help With Electrical Gremlins Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Yes, there needs to be power 12 volts when you turn the key on to the Black wire the dazy chain of wiring to the oil and alternator lights and turn flashers. K2,K3,K5,K5

The power comes from the top of the fuse block the next to the last fuse. Before that it's from the ignition switch 15 wire which also is the power to the ignition coil and before that it's the 30 wire back on the bottom of the fuse block where it joins the Red/Wht wire to the battery see the schematic. Looks like the metal sockets plates for the K2,K3,K5,K5 are at 12volts but the main metal on the back of the instrument cluster is the Neg. ground but not sure.

Dan, thanks for the help. Just spent a few more ours on this and the black daisy chain of wires on the cluster for the cluster lights do trace back to the black wire going into the ignition; when I turn the ignition key on the black wire does nothing - no power before or after; there is two red wires - one alway has power, then a yellow wire which does have power only with key on - so that seems to be the switched power. Are you saying the black wire should have power with key too? Either way do you know what the black wire is or should have on it?
dualbay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Help With Electrical Gremlins Reply with quote

To update, those blue-red wires are whats giving power to the metal cluster area - if you remove all of those bulb sockets then the black wires have no power - seems like the lightbulb is acting like a circuit and transferring the blue-red wire power into the metal - then the metal is transferring the power to the black wires - the black wires daisy chain to the fuel gauge at the top - so when the blue-reds pulse for the hazard light it causes the fuel gauge to pulse. But it all comes from the blue-red wires. Thinking if the black wires had their own constant 12v power - then when the blue-reds pulse it wouldn't cause the fuel gauge to move since power would be constant? If this doesn't sound right to anyone just let me know, trying to understand.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Help With Electrical Gremlins Reply with quote

dualbay wrote:
To update, those blue-red wires are whats giving power to the metal cluster area - if you remove all of those bulb sockets then the black wires have no power - seems like the lightbulb is acting like a circuit and transferring the blue-red wire power into the metal - then the metal is transferring the power to the black wires - the black wires daisy chain to the fuel gauge at the top - so when the blue-reds pulse for the hazard light it causes the fuel gauge to pulse. But it all comes from the blue-red wires. Thinking if the black wires had their own constant 12v power - then when the blue-reds pulse it wouldn't cause the fuel gauge to move since power would be constant? If this doesn't sound right to anyone just let me know, trying to understand.

The red/blue wires are grounded by the flasher to illuminate the turn indicators. The black wires supply 12 volts from the ignition switch via fuse #11 to the mounting plates for the turn indicators, the oil light and the gen/alt light. These four lamps common to +12 volts, not ground. (Only the blue high beam indicator, green parking light indicator, and dash lights are grounded). It also powers the fuel gauge. Without 12 volts on the black wires, nothing will work right. Trace it back to and through the fuse block, all the way to the ignition switch.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Help With Electrical Gremlins Reply with quote

"telford dorr" is correct! I will correctly refer to them as the Blu/Red wires because the wider color is said first. It sounds like, what is happening, is you don't have 12 volts on the 15 wire from the ignition switch for some reason. The 15 wire should have 12 volts when the key is on. And the Big Red 30 wire is where it gets its power, so check that its got power. See D in the schematic above.
dualbay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Help With Electrical Gremlins Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
The red/blue wires are grounded by the flasher to illuminate the turn indicators. The black wires supply 12 volts from the ignition switch via fuse #11 to the mounting plates for the turn indicators, the oil light and the gen/alt light. These four lamps common to +12 volts, not ground. (Only the blue high beam indicator, green parking light indicator, and dash lights are grounded). It also powers the fuel gauge. Without 12 volts on the black wires, nothing will work right. Trace it back to and through the fuse block, all the way to the ignition switch.

Really appreciate the response, its slowly starting to make sense now.
dualbay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Help With Electrical Gremlins Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
"telford dorr" is correct! I will correctly refer to them as the Blu/Red wires because the wider color is said first. It sounds like, what is happening, is you don't have 12 volts on the 15 wire from the ignition switch for some reason. The 15 wire should have 12 volts when the key is on. And the Big Red 30 wire is where it gets its power, so check that its got power. See D in the schematic above.

Dan, okay yes the black wire coming out of the ignition did not have power - just ran a patch wire with 12V to the black wire and my turn signals and fuel gauge started working again properly, so that must be it. Looks like I need a new ignition switch; I did pull the ignition switch and the contact point for the black wire is actually very low in how its designed compared to the other contact points so maybe thats why its the first to go; someone has soldered one of the wires on it before too, so just going to have to replace the switch. I kept thinking it was a short the last few days, didn't really consider that it was a LACK of power! So feels really good to find this.

One last question, the brown wire coming from the ignition, the schematic shows it going to a door buzzer F2 if reading this right; can you just directly ground this? Was under the impression all brown wires are ground. Thanks for the help.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Help With Electrical Gremlins Reply with quote

dualbay wrote:
One last question, the brown wire coming from the ignition, the schematic shows it going to a door buzzer F2 if reading this right; can you just directly ground this? Was under the impression all brown wires are ground. Thanks for the help.

Brown is usually ground - but not always. Let's just say that brown is ground-related. In some cases, grounding a brown wire activates something, like the brown to the fuel sender, or the brown to the door buzzer. You probably don't want to permanently ground that last one, unless you like hearing the annoying door buzzer buzz continually any time the driver door is open...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dualbay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Help With Electrical Gremlins Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
dualbay wrote:

Brown is usually ground - but not always. Let's just say that brown is ground-related. In some cases, grounding a brown wire activates something, like the brown to the fuel sender, or the brown to the door buzzer. You probably don't want to permanently ground that last one, unless you like hearing the annoying door buzzer buzz continually any time the driver door is open...

Okay, understood, so can you just leave that brown wire from the ignition unhooked then? Was just afraid the ignition is using it or needed its ground, but sounds like its only purpose is to activate door buzzers?
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Help With Electrical Gremlins Reply with quote

Yup. (it's the brown 18 AWG wire from ignition switch terminal "SU" in the schematic above.)
dualbay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Help With Electrical Gremlins Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Yup. (it's the brown 18 AWG wire from ignition switch terminal "SU" in the schematic above.)

Just looking at the posted wiring schematic above again it appears that brown wire from the ignition goes through the door buzzer F2 but then continues on to the fuel gauge G1 - of course there are so many intersecting wires in the schematic this could be off; it seems odd they would tie the door buzzer ground to the fuel gauge as if your door was open would'nt that affect the resistance to the gauge?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Help With Electrical Gremlins Reply with quote

dualbay wrote:
telford dorr wrote:

Just looking at the posted wiring schematic above again it appears that brown wire from the ignition goes through the door buzzer F2 but then continues on to the fuel gauge G1 - of course there are so many intersecting wires in the schematic this could be off; it seems odd they would tie the door buzzer ground to the fuel gauge as if your door was open would'nt that affect the resistance to the gauge?

If you read the text at the bottom of the posted diagram you'll see that F2 is a switch (the buzzer is H3), the brown wire from the ignition switch (D) goes to the lower right terminal and when the door opens it's connected to the lower left terminal completeing the buzzer circuit. The upper set of terminals on the switch are separate from the lower ones, the upper right connects to the ground cluster on the back of the speedo and connects to the dome light (W) when the door is open through the brown/white striped wire.

When a wire changes color or gets a stripe it means it's now switched somehow.

Starting to make sense yet?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
dualbay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Help With Electrical Gremlins Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Starting to make sense yet?

Yes I understand the idea of the buzzer circuit, but your overview clarifies things - will just leave the brown wire unhooked based on what everyone has posted here. I actually mis-read the diagram when I posted about the fuel gauge being tied in.
dualbay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Help With Electrical Gremlins Reply with quote

Just received the new ignition switch and installed today fixing many issues; however, there are still a few weird things maybe you guys could help with.

The turn signals now work and function properly on the exterior; however, on the instrument cluster both turn signal lights flash at the same time - no matter if you turn on the right or left signal. That said, the right and left bulbs use the same wire (the blue/red wire in my pic), so I truly can't see how they could function independently - is this just how VW does it, both bulbs flash for a turn?

Second, my right turn signal runs very fast both on the dash and exterior lights - the left turn signal functions normal. I have brand new light fixtures and bulbs front and rear - cannot see anything wrong with either fixture. Does anyone have ideas on what could cause this?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Help With Electrical Gremlins Reply with quote

Both arrows flash, it's the way VW did it, you are smart enough to buy a VW, you must be able to figure out which way you moved the lever, right?

The fast flash means a bulb isn't working, or one or more in that circuit are the wrong wattage.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
dualbay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Help With Electrical Gremlins Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Both arrows flash, it's the way VW did it, you are smart enough to buy a VW, you must be able to figure out which way you moved the lever, right?

The fast flash means a bulb isn't working, or one or more in that circuit are the wrong wattage.

Yep, both flashing sounds great, better than tracking down a short!

With the fast flash, the exterior bulbs work - but wasn't thinking wrong wattage - will have to tear the lenses off and look into this, thanks.
dualbay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Help With Electrical Gremlins Reply with quote

Was hoping someone could help verify my coil wiring on my 1972, the wiring diagram doesn't seem to have all the colors that are going to the coil.

The wiring harness that feeds my coil has a brown wire coming out of it that is grounded to the aluminum fan casing. I assume all solid ground wires are grounded, but can someone verify this is a ground wire to engine?

My coil negative post has only one wire from the harness - a brown/green striped wire. My coil positive post has a white wire and a black wire from the harness.

I have aftermarket carbs so I have directly run wiring for the chokes, fuel pump etc.

Also, do you guys directly ground your coil to the engine, like run a wire from the negative coil post directly to an engine ground point?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Help With Electrical Gremlins Reply with quote

The brown wire in the coil harness to the shroud on a 72 is test network #17 (sometimes brown/white), the grey/green is #13 and the white is #15, all are redundant and better left disconnected and taped up. The Diagram above has the test network circuits (orange dots) washed out, the one below shows them more clearly.

The coil won't work if it's grounded, the only wire that has to be on #1 (-) is the green one from the points, they ground it to charge and "unground" it to fire the spark.

You aren't running your fuel pump off the coil are you?, not good for the ignition switch and possibly dangerous in a crash or fire situation, a real fuel pump control relay is a much better choice.

Слава Україні!
dualbay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Help With Electrical Gremlins Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
The brown wire in the coil harness to the shroud on a 72 is test network #17 (sometimes brown/white), the grey/green is #13 and the white is #15, all are redundant and better left disconnected and taped up. The Diagram above has the test network circuits (orange dots) washed out, the one below shows them more clearly.

The coil won't work if it's grounded, the only wire that has to be on #1 (-) is the green one from the points, they ground it to charge and "unground" it to fire the spark.

Thanks busdaddy, this info is golden, huge help; the test network interface has been removed, so it sounds like much of these wires around the coil area can simply be eliminated which will clean things up real nice.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: