Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Motor pinging HELP
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor pinging HELP Reply with quote

Eric Lundin wrote:
The full # is
0231 170 034 043 905 205
The # on the arm is 579
Glen I did forget that you started to do aluminum Distributors
can I send it to you and see if needs a rebuild. can you send me your address and I will send it out. send to [email protected]

Email sent...

Pruneman99 wrote:
I doubt the pinging is caused by the distributor. Usually a bad distributor just makes it run like crap.

Agreed.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

Last edited by Glenn on Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor pinging HELP Reply with quote

If timing is set correctly, another thing I'd check for would be a vacuum leak. Might be running lean and heating up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor pinging HELP Reply with quote

Eric Lundin wrote:

can I send it to you and see if needs a rebuild. can you send me your address and I will send it out. send to [email protected]

Popcorn

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Eric Lundin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor pinging HELP Reply with quote

It started last year I did a tune up I went to auto zone they gave me the points and condenser cap and rotor for a 1974 super from calif so they said.
on the way home yesterday it ran like crap and was losing speed I had to feather the gas till I got home.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor pinging HELP Reply with quote

Try the old condenser.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor pinging HELP Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Eric Lundin wrote:

Popcorn

Link

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Motor pinging HELP Reply with quote

Just want to make sure I understand you correctly here:

Eric Lundin wrote:
It started last year I did a tune up I went to auto zone they gave me the points and condenser cap and rotor for a 1974 super from calif so they said.

The 'pinging' began last year, but...

Eric Lundin wrote:

on the way home yesterday it ran like crap and was losing speed I had to feather the gas till I got home.

...performance only began suffering the other day, correct?

What prompted you to replace the points and condenser? Was the car beginning to have problems or just your normal 'tune up time' interval?

If any problems recently, but prior to when you got the points and condenser, please describe.

Also, since your pinging began a year ago- has it worsened, gotten better with any actions, or simply remained constant for the past year?

Also wouldn't hurt to verify your mechanical TDC(could have pulley timing marks which aren't actually representing their true values). If you need a rough tutorial of how to do that, check out this thread, about halfway down on the page, I check my TDC.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=40
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Eric Lundin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Motor pinging HELP Reply with quote

Late last fall I did the tune up because I checked the points and they were pitted so I just decided to replace everything. I did not drive the car much
because the weather was getting cold and freezing rain. yes the car ran like
crap the other day. last year I had my son who is 35 in the car and he said that he was hearing a pinging sound, and that was the last time I used the car.
The pinging is louder now can the points be the wrong ones and condenser.
do you know what the correct numbers for the cap, points, condenser, rotor.
I will take out #1 plug and check TDC and see if the marks on the pulley line
up.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Motor pinging HELP Reply with quote

Using your part # ending in the 034 (this is the Bosch part #)portion look up your distributor and this chart will show the Bosch part numbers for the tune up parts.

If the parts store sold you a non Bosch brand that chart may not be of much help to determine if your points etc are correct that they sold you. Only can show and provide the correct Bosch numbers.

Luckily, the 034 from 1974 model year uses most of the same tune up parts as the 009 distributors, which is the most common VW distributor.

Napa usually either can order or keeps those Bosch parts on hand at the store.

Be aware though that the new Bosch condensers have been know to be of poor quality, even bad right out of the box. Beru or bremi are good alternative brands. I've also read some people have good experiences with Napa brand "echlin" brand too.

http://www.aircooled.net/ignition-tune-up-distributor-parts-chart/

Edited for grammar and syntax errors
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Motor pinging HELP Reply with quote

Eric Lundin wrote:
I called a shop in California and he said to use the 30 degrees at 2500

Just to be clear... the idea of setting total advance (initial + mechanical) to around 28-32BTDC is to make sure the mechanical advance (which is related to engine rpms) NEVER exceeds 32BTDC (which is a safe max limit for rpm-only based timing advance).
It is better to describe the process as, "With the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged, rev the engine until the distributor no longer advances. Hold the rpms at this level or a little higher. Set the timing to 28-32BTDC. Let the rpms drop to idle. Rev the engine once more to make sure it does not exceed 32BTDC at ANY rpm. Let the rpms drop to idle. Tighten the distributor clamp. Note the idle timing, you can use this idle timing the next time you need to do a tune up."

The problem with the recommendation of "30 degrees at 2500" is that the distributor may not be fully advancing at 2500rpm. If only some of the mechanical advance has been added at 2500rpm you are setting yourself up to over advance the engine. As the rpms are further increased the mechanical advance will add even more timing and your will quickly exceed the safe limit of 32BTDC! Kaboom! Surprised

I'd also suggest you do a manual walk thru to make sure your #1 plug wire is connected to the correct post on the distributor and then make sure the remaining wires are connected to the correct cylinders based on the firing order (1-4-3-2). This check requires that you...
    Remove the valve cover over #1 and #2 cylinders.

Rotate the engine CW until you see the #1 intake valve open and then close (watch the rocker arm). When it is fully closed you should be at the end of the intake stroke.

Continue rotating the crank pulley CW (almost 180deg) until the TDC mark lines up with the case split. You are now at the end of the compression stroke for #1 cylinder. Your ignition system should be very close to sending a spark to the #1 spark plug. If you don't have a TDC mark on your pulley the timing mark is close enough.

Remove the distributor cap and note where the rotor tip is pointing. If your distributor and drive gear are correctly installed the rotor should be pointing to the small notch on the rim of the distributor which indicates where #1 plug wire should be. This should be where the #1 plug wire is installed on the distributor cap. If it is not then move the #1 plug wire to this position on the cap. Connect the remaining plug wires on the cap in the CW order of 1-4-3-2. Now you know your plug wires are installed in the correct positions.

Check your point gap (0.016" or 47deg +/- 3deg of dwell).

Static time your distributor to 7BTDC.

Start the engine. Warm it up.

Set warmed up idle to 800-950rpm.

Check your idle timing. It should be 7.5BTDC with vacuum hose disconnected and plugged.

Check the max total advance (vacuum disconnected) making sure it never exceeds 32BTDC at ANY rpm.

Are you certain your pinging is not something more serious like rod knock which indicates a worn/loose connecting rod?
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Eric Lundin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Motor pinging HELP Reply with quote

Thank you I will try this out this weekend.
The vw mechanic said it was definitely a ping.
so im still open to all comments a lot of you guys know more than me so a
BIG THANK YOU to all. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: