Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

windshield washer bottle leaks fluid
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cutter57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: windshield washer bottle leaks fluid Reply with quote

Hi. I actually did a search before posting this. I found a lot about air leakage, but not fluid leakage. I solved my air leakage with a new valve in the valve stem. I have 3 washer bottles, and at least 2 leak fine jets of fluid from the seam where the two halves come together. My current bottle just started leaking recently. I have not been able to find new bottles that are identical, and I do not want to mount one inside the fender, electric or not. I want the original setup, inferior as it is.

My question is this: Has anyone found a way to stop this leakage, using seam sealer or glue? I am trying to find the best, and longest lasting, repair for this. Thanx in advance
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield washer bottle leaks fluid Reply with quote

cutter57 wrote:
Hi. I actually did a search before posting this. I found a lot about air leakage, but not fluid leakage. I solved my air leakage with a new valve in the valve stem. I have 3 washer bottles, and at least 2 leak fine jets of fluid from the seam where the two halves come together. My current bottle just started leaking recently. I have not been able to find new bottles that are identical, and I do not want to mount one inside the fender, electric or not. I want the original setup, inferior as it is.

My question is this: Has anyone found a way to stop this leakage, using seam sealer or glue? I am trying to find the best, and longest lasting, repair for this. Thanx in advance

Plastic welding maybe the solution.

Good Luck, Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield washer bottle leaks fluid Reply with quote

You're fighting a losing battle against time and aging plastic, eventually it'll become brittle as an eggshell. Your options to stay with the original setup are to use the glue as suggested, but it'll just crack or start leaking in another spot before you know it, find another original that's in better shape but with the knowledge it too will crack in due time, settle for an aftermarket that isn't quite right but functional, or work with somebody to try to make an accurate reproduction.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield washer bottle leaks fluid Reply with quote

Do you actually use your windshield washer? Wink
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield washer bottle leaks fluid Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
Do you actually use your windshield washer? Wink

X2?

I literally haven’t seen one of these working. Even in the 80’s most people had already pulled them.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
cutter57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield washer bottle leaks fluid Reply with quote

LOL...yes, mostly when I am behind a vehicle kicking up dirty road water. I don't use my spare tire. I just pump it up to 35 PSI with a bicycle pump, and it has lasted a long time before needing pumped again. I know I could upgrade, but I kinda like the challenge of keeping it as originally done.

So far, I have seen a suggestion of plastic welding, a tempting thought since I'd learn a new skill. Any other ideas?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield washer bottle leaks fluid Reply with quote

cutter57 wrote:
So far, I have seen a suggestion of plastic welding, a tempting thought since I'd learn a new skill. Any other ideas?

If the reservoir is polyethylene or polypropylene - tough to glue !!! However, Loctite, a sister company of the employer that downsized my sorry a$$ after over 40 years has a product they claim will work on polyethylene or polypropylene. I have not tried it, but Loctite makes good products.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-2g-Plastics-Bonding-System-681925/100371829

I have used "plastic welding" successfully myself, actually I use it at least once a month. I have an inexpensive Harbor Freight plastic welding kit. Hint: wear cloth gloves when using this, and it stays very hot for several minutes after unplugging, so be careful.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield washer bottle leaks fluid Reply with quote

Whenever I've seen a washer bottle that "leaks at the seams" - it's history. Don't think it's worth trying to glue it, or melt it, or whatever, back together, and have it last.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1960vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield washer bottle leaks fluid Reply with quote

as a last resort, try using Elmers brush on contact cement. Comes in a brown bottle with brush on glue. Several coats when tacky.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield washer bottle leaks fluid Reply with quote

Then when you give it 32PSI for a month or two... and it fails... Sorry not worth the T&E.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield washer bottle leaks fluid Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Whenever I've seen a washer bottle that "leaks at the seams" - it's history. Don't think it's worth trying to glue it, or melt it, or whatever, back together, and have it last.

I tend to agree. The next problem is snapping the bottle back into it's "bay" without reopening the cracks you just mended.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: windshield washer bottle leaks fluid Reply with quote

It would be cool to cleverly hide a smaller resivour and pump inside the bottle by splitting it and make it function discretely. I could probably do this if I didn’t have a million other projects going.
1960vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: windshield washer bottle leaks fluid Reply with quote

Remember, what didn't work for others might have worked for some! Is a repair not worth ONE try? How much time is needed to try? Hours upon hours? NOT ! Let's talk minutes here. Just trying to inject a little positive in all of the negatives. Rolling Eyes
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: windshield washer bottle leaks fluid Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
glutamodo wrote:

I tend to agree. The next problem is snapping the bottle back into it's "bay" without reopening the cracks you just mended.

heating the bottle will make it more flexible and thus help it slip back in place. warm it up, heat lamps or maybe fill with hot water, get it nice and warm prior to install.

Good luck

ps the pressurization may put more stain on it, perhaps fill to a lower pressure if that still works for you.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: windshield washer bottle leaks fluid Reply with quote

https://www.flexsealproducts.com/shop/?gclid=Cj0KC...JFEALw_wcB
Very Happy

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
cutter57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: windshield washer bottle leaks fluid Reply with quote

thanks for all the tips and advice. I agree with accepting a slightly lower pressure. I will look into the flexseal, but I am leaning toward plastic welding. I plan to reinforce the seam all around if that is the only source of the fluid leak. I have 3 old bottles to work with, so I will check all 3 for leaks. As far as air pressure loss, when I checked them before, the filling valve was the culprit on at least 2 of them, if I recall correctly. I have ordered an inexpensive plastic welding kit and it should arrive by Monday (I am sure I already have other uses for it, too). While waiting, I am going to identify any and all leaks in the 3 bottles and have them ready for repair. After some practice on scrap plastic and then my repair, I will post my results when I am done.
jimdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield washer bottle leaks fluid Reply with quote

Has anyone tried lining the inside with a resin or inserting some type of bladder to isolate the liquid from the reservoir?
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield washer bottle leaks fluid Reply with quote

Get an aftermarket bottle with integrated electric motor like in link below..much better. You can even use one out of a junked car, did that in a bug I had in college, worked well for years.

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Beetle-Windshield-Washer-Tank-and-Pump-Kit-p/baa955449a.htm
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield washer bottle leaks fluid Reply with quote

Rocky Mountain Motorworks at one time sold a 6V early Beetle windshield washer tank with pump, this was a long time ago of course! Here is an updated version. Electric and no brittle old tank to mess with! http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-111-989-453
nreslifer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield washer bottle leaks fluid Reply with quote

Be careful how much air you put in it,I brought one last year at a swap meet took it home pumped some air in (don't know how much) and it exploded.Didn't injure me but it scared the hell out of me though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: