Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual radiators on a sandrail 2.3L turbo. Is it functional?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
database00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Dual radiators on a sandrail 2.3L turbo. Is it functional? Reply with quote

So I see this everywhere But it is not street legal.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hoping not to obstruct my view Iam thinking I would like to make it street legal. Not to mention see behind me.

Pair of these to cool my 2.3L turbo lima motor?

Thinking of doing something like this on both sides

Use something like this

Would this work?

Is it dumb to put 2 radiators increase your chance of something going wrong.
Leaks from jumping sandrail?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
di11ard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual radiators on a sandrail 2.3L turbo. Is it functional? Reply with quote

Lol. The first picture isn’t dual radiators. It is one radiator + intercooler (for the turbo).

Yes, you could run dual radiators. Yes, more possible places to leak.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual radiators on a sandrail 2.3L turbo. Is it functional? Reply with quote

I think the original poster was saying that he seesrails with a single fullsize radiator blocking the rear view, so he want to use two smaller radiators so that it doesn’t look like the above pic with no rear view...hence not being street legal a lot of places. Wink

I think it is a good idea to break it up into a couple smaller radiators. Actually, I’m surprised I haven’t seen more people do that. Certainly would be easier to tuck a couple smaller ones out of the rear view than or full size radiator, that’s for sure.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual radiators on a sandrail 2.3L turbo. Is it functional? Reply with quote

For flow quality, I'd think running 2 rads in series would be better than parallel with that Y connector. I have a Honda Civic aftermarket half rad and it cools my 2.5 Subaru just fine. I'd imagine two would keep it plenty happy on the gauge pod!

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Dual radiators on a sandrail 2.3L turbo. Is it functional? Reply with quote

Parallel is much better than series, you've got more delta-t across both coolers and less flow resistance.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual radiators on a sandrail 2.3L turbo. Is it functional? Reply with quote

I would like to know where it is illegal to have an obstructed rear view? It certainly isn't illegal anywhere I have been. As long as you have a mirror on both sides of the vehicle you do not have to have a clear rear view.

The partly obstructed rear view is the reason why VW convertibles got mirrors on both sides while hardtops only got a mirror on the driver side. Wink

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
database00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual radiators on a sandrail 2.3L turbo. Is it functional? Reply with quote

I think I might have been mistaken on illegal. I had remembered reading to make a custom vehicle street legal requirements rear view mirror was a requirement. Along with wipers and windshield. But i just reread it said you need 2 mirrors even if its one on each side of vehicle.

And yes I am talking about wanting to see out the back instead of a giant radiator obstructing the view.

So would the Y thing worrk or running in series?
Running in parallel is with the Y thing correct?

Was also debatting on electric waterpump
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual radiators on a sandrail 2.3L turbo. Is it functional? Reply with quote

The 70s would certainly have been vastly different if a blocked rear view was a legal problem. So MANY vans. Who and what would Eric Estrada have chased on the show CHiPs? What would the TV studios have had to crash into the back of other cars and barrel roll up in the air and burst into flames for no apparent reason other than false excitement? Not to mention all the local delivery box trucks and semi trucks that don't have rear windows.

I don't like the radiator in the "back window" But I don't see it as a legal problem.

One car I worked on years ago:

was built with 2 VW Rabbit radiators to cool its 410ci Chevy race engine. These pics show the plumbing for a parallel setup.

I think it should serve for a 2.3 turbo motor.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
database00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual radiators on a sandrail 2.3L turbo. Is it functional? Reply with quote

awesome exactly what I was looking for, in a few weeks I will be mounting the motor and transmission so I will figure out how much room I have.
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Dual radiators on a sandrail 2.3L turbo. Is it functional? Reply with quote

Richard's picture brought up a great point, something that would make me easily retract my previous statement. In the plumbing industry that "F" shaped outlet in front of that beautiful SBC would be called Reverse Return plumbing.

https://www.pmmag.com/articles/100205-when-and-how-to-use-reverse-return-piping

if you were to run two radiators this way, you'd have as equal flow as possible. The Y will allow the path of least resistance whereas reverse return will promote even flow.

Reverse Return in water heating allows for even usage of two tanks, even if the capacity is not a match because the water pipes dictate the even separation.

database00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Dual radiators on a sandrail 2.3L turbo. Is it functional? Reply with quote

Wow alot more to this then I was thinking.

would it still matter if the y parts I was installing used same length of tubes?
Was just thinking 1 tube from motor into splitter then 1.5 foot of tube into radiator, then out 1 foot into y adapter back into transmission.

That was the thought atleast.
database00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Dual radiators on a sandrail 2.3L turbo. Is it functional? Reply with quote

Or are you saying the y into radiators is fine but an F on the return will allow better even flow?
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Dual radiators on a sandrail 2.3L turbo. Is it functional? Reply with quote

An F coming from one direction and leaving the other direction is the key to making the manifold dictate flow rates through the heat exchangers (plumbing) or radiators (automotive).

pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Dual radiators on a sandrail 2.3L turbo. Is it functional? Reply with quote

database00 wrote:
Wow alot more to this then I was thinking.

would it still matter if the y parts I was installing used same length of tubes?
Was just thinking 1 tube from motor into splitter then 1.5 foot of tube into radiator, then out 1 foot into y adapter back into transmission.

That was the thought atleast.

Using a "Y" and having same length tubes is almost impossible to dictate even flow when it comes to moving fluids.

I feel like Dennis... every time I say even flow I think of Pearl Jam!

cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual radiators on a sandrail 2.3L turbo. Is it functional? Reply with quote

Wait a couple years and of will be your doc asking about even flow Sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: