Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Koni Shocks
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ted2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Koni Shocks Reply with quote

Any suggestions on where to find Koni Classic shocks?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Koni Shocks Reply with quote

i'd buy them directly from Koni
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Koni Shocks Reply with quote

I purchased Koni shocks for my VW, but ending up selling them - they were WAY too stiff. I ended up installing Koni shocks for a 356 in front, and had my rears custom valved like a 356. Here's an old thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3617201&highlight=koni#3617201

If you're interested, I can go through all the things I did to improve the ride of my VW Wink

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
Ted2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Koni Shocks Reply with quote

Thanks Paul,
I would be interested on how you improved the handling without killing the ride.
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Koni Shocks Reply with quote

The biggest/best change I made was installing pan siffeners from Eyeball Engineering. They stiffened my pan to the point that I had to replace all my shocks with softer ones!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you go to the trouble of purchasing/fabricating these, I would also install a truss bar (something I haven't done yet).

I had my machinist modify a later model link pin front end (with the mount for a steering dampener) so that 1) I could adjust the ride height and 2) I could use Porsche 356 sway bars.

I tried four different sway bars. The standard VW bar was too soft and the adjustable Porsche bars were too stiff. The current one that I purchased from Willhoit is just right. If make my ride feel nice and flat but I don't get whiplash every time I drive into my driveway.

http://willhoit-auto-restoration.mybigcommerce.com/porsche-356-17-5mm-sport-sway-bar/

Regarding shocks, I've tried the following: stock (nice and soft), KYB ("too much coffee" harsh), Koni for a VW Bug (way, way too stiff), and modified Koni's configured like a 356. If I were do do it over again, I would first try stock VW shocks, then ones from Bilstein, and then maybe modifies Koni shocks.

BTW, here's some valving data comparing Koni shocks for a swing axled VW, and a Porsche 356.

356 Front: 80-1044SP20 = Reb - 1350, Compression - 200

356 Rear: 80-1191SP20 = Reb - 800, Compression - 200

VW LP front: 80-1349 = Reb - 900, Compression - 450

VW Swing Rear: 80-1350 = Reb - 1050, Compression - 650

At one point I replaced my rear torsion bars with stock size bars from SAW, but they were too stiff. I did a little research and ended up modifying the bars for a nicer ride.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=341313&start=0

The other thing I did was install a camber compensator for a 356. I've tried the standard ones meant for VW's, but they didn't seem to do a lot. I found one meant for 356's that can be adjusted for my ride height.

It does stiffen my ride a bit, but it does a great job controlling those ^%$# swing axles.

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman

Last edited by gimmesomeshelter on Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Koni Shocks Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:

Regarding shocks, I've tried the following: stock (nice and soft), KYB ("too much coffee" harsh), Koni for a VW Bug (way, way too stiff), and modified Koni's configured like a 356. If I were do do it over again, I would first try stock VW shocks, then ones from Bilstein, and then maybe modifies Koni shocks.

BTW, here's some valving data comparing Koni shocks for a swing axled VW, and a Porsche 356.

356 Front: 80-1044SP20 = Reb - 1350, Compression - 200

356 Rear: 80-1191SP20 = Reb - 800, Compression - 200

VW LP front: 80-1349 = Reb - 900, Compression - 450

VW Swing Rear: 80-1350 = Reb - 1050, Compression - 650

Were the Koni shocks you tried the adjustable ones? Because I've had great success with them, and on the softest setting they are not harsh at all.
I forget if it's 5 or 8 settings from softest to firmest, but they're almost "stock" soft on the lowest, and very stiff (but not bad like the KYB gas adjust) on the highest.
if you were using a fixed valve shock, the red adjustables might be worth a look.

And damned that front sway bar is low!

SD
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Koni Shocks Reply with quote

Yes, they were adjustable.

My biggest complaint was with the ones in the rear.

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
Ted2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Koni Shocks Reply with quote

Thanks Paul,
I also understand the comment about the Vet. We have a Vizsla.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: