Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Of Consoles and Cupholders
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

https://van-x.co.uk/vw-t4-cup-holder.html?___store=smarttheme_en
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

On eBay Germany:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jakefromstatefarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

Pretty great cupholder mod, replacing a tiny drawer that is hard to use effectively.

If anyone finds the link or seller for this, please post it. I searched the German eBay today, but couldn't find it.
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

Good idea and good use of space. Certainly not OEM, it looks 3d printed.

I always stick keys and coins in there (and that's bad because the contents of the ashtray can dump into the void of the dash) - but this has real merit.
ncernitz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

After many iterations, here is the console we ended up with.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

Joshwa wrote:
Scottn59c wrote:

Like many of you, I consider it unfortunate that the EV doesn't have a real glovebox.

Early model EVs all come with a glove box. Xtremjeepn has mentioned fitting one to a later EV, but the fitment left some gaps.

They do fit, but you have to remove a bit of support plastic from under the dash (nothing that is visible).

The glovebox is really stongly fastened, the only issues are that the dash lines to the glove box lines do not line up and that the color is different.

The later Eurovans used a vinyl skin on the dash material while the early glove box is solid plastic with no vinyl so the colors and texture doesn't match.
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

Wow- finally (even if the color is off and the fit not quite perfect) -I've been wondering what was in that space that should be a glove box. Just tell me where to get one!
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

The glovebox is huge and fits very well. If you want to spend some extra time there is a built in light that you can wire up.

Cup holders are limited like in the early Eurovans (only paper coffee cups fit)

Change holder too! Laughing
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

Thanks, Gruppe B, but give me/us a link to the place to get one! How could such a standard item be missing from the factory or the outfitter!
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

jakefromstatefarm wrote:
Pretty great cupholder mod, replacing a tiny drawer that is hard to use effectively.
If anyone finds the link or seller for this, please post it. I searched the German eBay today, but couldn't find it.

I'm most enthusiastic about that cupholder. Did anyone ever find a source??
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:

Cup holders are limited like in the early Eurovans (only paper coffee cups fit)

Cup holders are the same between early and late model vans except for difference of the glove box cup holders vs the center console cup holders(the object of this thread to try and replace). Later vans may have one less if they have the drivers side lock box. Don’t risk putting paper cups in those big loops. They will fall over after a couple turns.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

I decided to try one of the Plug and Chug cupholders from a Bus to see how it fits in the Eurovan ashtray.

The EV ashtray is slightly taller and wider than the Bus, therefore the "arm" fits more loosely, but not enough that I'm worried about it falling out or something like that. I've only driven with it a little, but so far I think I believe that the improved position of the cup holder outweighs the slight inconvenience of reaching a couple of the buttons on the HVAC controls. This probably wouldn't be an issue for those with the 3 dial controls. This also holds a wider variety of cup size than the EV holder on the floor.

A 2x4 seems to fit the ashtray just about perfect, so a similar design could likely be made that doesn't block things quite as much.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BBouchard87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

After reading through all the threads I didn’t see any cup holder options that I was thrilled about. Found this $14 cooler beverage holder by Aieve (Yeti makes
thé same thing for twice the cost). With a little bending the arm in my vice it fits nice and snug and can be adjusted left to right and is a non-permanent solution. Been liking it so far.

bigfoot_ev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

Well it took us 2 tries but we finally have a solution that works for us. After removing the original cup holder to make way for the subwoofer we needed something to hold our water bottles.

Iteration #1 was a hack of a generic mini-van console from Amazon. I turned it around from its intended direction and cut off what used to be the front section. The remaining cup holders are raised up for easier access. I just slid it between the front seats.

There were 2 major issues with iteration #1. First, I had to always move it out of the way when swiveling the front seats. Second, probably more important, it was not bolted down and could become a projectile in a crash.

So here is iteration #2. It is bolted to the CMC seat base and when we swivel the front seats they clear our water bottles without moving a thing. Another benefit the black top is meant to be stepped on and it opens for storing more stuff. I'm kind of embarrassed thinking how long I put up with #1 since building #2 was super simple. There is a smaller box that holds the cup holders. It is screwed to the other larger storage box. Glad I never got into a crash.

If anybody needs a hacked up amazon console let me know.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

What did you build it out of? Plywood?

I do like the idea of the extra storage, and it's a smart move to build it to handle being stepped on!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigfoot_ev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

Yes, 1/2" plywood for everything. On the lid the only constraint was that it needed to fit between the arm rests when open. That created the open space on the passenger side but also meant it was small enough to be well supported all around for walking on.

Here's a really interesting idea. I've been wondering how to make an intermediate step on the way up into the upper bunk without folks unknowingly stepping on the arm rest.
https://www.etsy.com/de-en/listing/1404573017/cent...=related-1
SplitBusVanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Of Consoles and Cupholders Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.ca/Mobicool-Cooler-Warmer-Power-Outlet/dp/B07FBN539R

I have used one of these for years. They’re perfect. They fit nicely between seats in front.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: