Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing tin
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmacgreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Installing tin Reply with quote

A question: Is it possible to install the lower cooling tins (sleds) and J-tube shields while the motor is in the car (1966 Type 1)? I know that the "recommended" way is to pull the motor. It's a pretty major effort for me. I have to remove the carbs, linkage, oil filters and cooler as well as the associated plumbing and I don't have any help. Just wondering. The "trick" would be to access the front four screws on the tin pieces. If I'm dreaming, please don't sugarcoat the answer. Thanks in advance.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Installing tin Reply with quote

How many curse words do you know? You'll need a lot of them for that job.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Installing tin Reply with quote

Not going to happen. The front plate (apron) that seals the engine bay to the cylinder covers sits directly over the screw holes for the sleds. It would be a hack job trying to force the sleds in. Just run it as is until you have to pull the engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Installing tin Reply with quote

We just did this on my friends 65 the other night. Engine in the car, doghouse tin. It sucked, but is possible. We had to take the heater boxes off.

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Installing tin Reply with quote

An average Mechanic with average skills can pull a vw motor in under 30 minutes.. taking their time.. a very skilled one can R&R motor .. clutch and rear seal in half that time.. I know saw it done..and he answered phone 2 times... lol pull the motor.. inspect everything.. do it right..
128vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing tin Reply with quote

When I was younger and doing vw work every day I could pull a motor, replace the frt seal and clutch and install the motor in 1/2 hour by myself. Now it's a 2hour job. I'm 73 now, been doing this since I was 16. Did a valve job,2 heads, in an hour once because I had to.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Installing tin Reply with quote

I never time myself or try for a speed record. Except in bed.

Now that I'm getting old, I try to make sure to drag all the needed tools underneath (17mm combination wrench, ratchet with 8mm socket, screwdrivers for heater tubes, screwdriver/golf tee for fuel line, etc). I need to try to minimize the number of go-unders.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing tin Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
How many curse words do you know? You'll need a lot of them for that job.

Think I think I want to add this to my signature line! Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing tin Reply with quote

The one thing that helps....a little...is replacing the screws with hex head bolts....It can be done...not easy.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing tin Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
The one thing that helps....a little...is replacing the screws with hex head bolts....It can be done...not easy.

And pissing cusser off when he has all the right tools except for when someone decides to deviate from stock and he has to get his sore body up once again Wink
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
jmacgreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Installing tin Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. If the engine were a stocker, I would pull it - no questions asked. It has big carbs and a lot of external plumbing that would need to be disconnected and likely messy as well. I will drive it "as is" until I have a better reason to take the motor out. I'm 70 years old and not as agile as I once was. The car is a good weather "weekend" driver and doesn't have a cooling problem. I just felt nervous about the push rod tubes being "exposed." I spent about 6 hours under my Jeep last week and relearned an entire dictionary of cuss words. I don't wish to repeat the pleasure.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Installing tin Reply with quote

If you don't have the tins now, why not install the tins without removing installing the front screws? The 4 screws on the bottom - 2 to each heater and 2 to the case on each side should hold up the tin I think. There will be a gap at the front, you can seal with some foam to stop leak and minimize rattling. Should this not be possible?

Just thinking out loud.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
jmacgreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Installing tin Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd thought about only securing the tins with the bottom screws. However, The motor does not have heater boxes (header with J-tubes) and I also planned to add the industrial tin shields as well. I don't know if this would be feasible without ending up with a whole lot of rattling around.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing tin Reply with quote

When I installed a new header in my Beetle, I swapped the sled tins for new ones, without removing the engine. You just have to think about how best to reach the front tin screws with long screwdrivers depending which carbs you have.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: