Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Over enthusiastic fuel gauge
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Over enthusiastic fuel gauge Reply with quote

78 Bus, mostly stock.

Hello folks, my fuel gauge has been a bit wild for a while now. It reads full when the tank is full, but after about 30 miles it swings all over the place when I make right and left turns.. finally after about 80 miles it reads empty.

I opened up the vibrator and it's a thermal type, nothing is visibly/obviously wrong - moves with 12 volts. I was planning on replacing the sender as I have one here, but I'm not convinced that's the issue.

What dampens the needle movement on a 78 so fuel slosh isn't an issue?

Thanks!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Over enthusiastic fuel gauge Reply with quote

most likely dirty connection, loose wire, or sender going bad. Probably happened to every bus built since inception even though different designs are involved.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Over enthusiastic fuel gauge Reply with quote

Do a neat job of cutting the access hole and pull out your sender. I think you will find that you get erratic readings as you move the float through its range. Time for a new sender or preferably a rebuild if you are up to the challenge.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Over enthusiastic fuel gauge Reply with quote

Ya, I guess that's the next logical step. The connections and grounds I can access all are good. I'll dig out my 4" hole saw and swap the sender out. It can't hurt - all I have to lose really is a bit of time.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Over enthusiastic fuel gauge Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
Ya, I guess that's the next logical step. The connections and grounds I can access all are good. I'll dig out my 4" hole saw and swap the sender out. It can't hurt - all I have to lose really is a bit of time.

A little bigger hole than VW recommended will make access easier. Something like a 3 1/2" x 5" or 4" x 6" rectangular hole with the corners drilled with a 1" or 1 1/4" hole saw works well. this one was 1/2" closer to the front of the rear deck than optimum.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Over enthusiastic fuel gauge Reply with quote

Thanks for the help folks. To wrap this up I installed and adjusted the new sender and everything is working great! A 4" hole saw made a nice, even hole and it plugged easily with a 4" chimney plug.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Over enthusiastic fuel gauge Reply with quote

save the piece you cored. When you have the tank out someday you can weld a metal ring onto the underside so maybe it has a 3/8" lip, then place the cored piece on it and drill some bolt holes. Use those to hold the core in, weld the center hole that the holesaw probably left and touch up. Will look great. The best access plate I have seen here is a square one like that with rounded edges, Factory should have done that when new.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Over enthusiastic fuel gauge Reply with quote

I'm actually a bit surprised that this isn't something that can be readily purchased.

Saved the piece - I'll get around to it someday.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: