Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewvwco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

Stock coolant tank vs. The Tank from RMW.

I live in CO close to ft collins. Should I get a stock coolant tank or The tank metal version. My budget is slim I have a 3 year old and live in CO. Smile

I want to know can I do stock for 1 more year than switch or should I not cheap out and get the metal?

Anybody out their like the stock plastic better? I like the idea that I can see the coolant in it, with the metal you cant see the level until opened .

Any other coolant parts like H pipe that should be metal too to avoid mass damage.

My tank now is leaking at the cap and have tried several caps with no luck.

1.9L manual 1985.

Thank you.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

When I rebuilt my Van I went budget and got a new plastic tank.

I ran it for a year or better until the cap started leaking.

Turns out is was NOT a blau cap so I ordered up two Blau caps.

I put it on, all was well.

Sadly this minor failure freaked me out so I sought out a RMW tank. Fortunately dobyran had a new original stock, never used. He sold it to me at a fair price. (I think he wants it back now Laughing )

I gave away my new used plastic tank and new Blau cap to a member here.

A lot of words to say..... Yes, get the plastic tank but also get ONLY a Blau cap.

You'll be good for a few years before the cheap repop fails.

I have a new Blau cap I'll never use........ if you want it, PM me.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

Leaking at the cap? Do you have any idea why? Is there a crack in the tank? Is there defect in the part of the tank where the cap seals? Regardless, if the tank is defective and needs to be replaced the RMW tank is the long-term solution. It’s always a tough call putting $ into a potentially short-term solution but if cash is tight that may be the best path with hopes that it lasts.

Also consider placing a classified ad or post in the part-it-forward thread to see if anyone has one available cheap/free. Some folks have preemptively replaced their tank with the RMW tank and may want it out of their garage.

Good luck.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
andrewvwco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
When I rebuilt my Van I went budget and got a new plastic tank.

I ran it for a year or better until the cap started leaking.

Turns out is was NOT a blau cap so I ordered up two Blau caps.

I put it on, all was well.

Sadly this minor failure freaked me out so I sought out a RMW tank. Fortunately dobyran had a new original stock, never used. He sold it to me at a fair price. (I think he wants it back now Laughing )

I gave away my new used plastic tank and new Blau cap to a member here.

A lot of words to say..... Yes, get the plastic tank but also get ONLY a Blau cap.

You'll be good for a few years before the cheap repop fails.

I have a new Blau cap I'll never use........ if you want it, PM me.

Dave

Cool thanks Dave how do you feel about not seeing the coolant level do you just check every morning before driving?
andrewvwco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Leaking at the cap? Do you have any idea why? Is there a crack in the tank? Is there defect in the part of the tank where the cap seals? Regardless, if the tank is defective and needs to be replaced the RMW tank is the long-term solution. It’s always a tough call putting $ into a potentially short-term solution but if cash is tight that may be the best path with hopes that it lasts.

Also consider placing a classified ad or post in the part-it-forward thread to see if anyone has one available cheap/free. Some folks have preemptively replaced their tank with the RMW tank and may want it out of their garage.

Good luck.

No the caps just seem to leak a small amount but dont want it to blow. The tank look og so I was told the threads are getting thins/stripped.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

I check it before taking off in the morning, it rarely needs any adjustment.

That is the ONE downside of RMW's tank, but the trade off for getting a solid Aluminum tank is totally worth the minor inconvenience.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

I came way too close to losing a new to me 2.1 engine because the cap blew off a new plastic tank while the engine was idling while I had gone inside to get a something to eat or drink. Luckily the flood of coolant killed the engine so I haven't noticed any damage to the engine. IMO the presently available plastic tanks are junk and should not be used.

Another advantage of the metal tank is that you can get a low pressure 4-7 psi cap for it, which can reduce the likelihood that other aging parts of the cooling system will fail from pressure.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

I heve the tank and like it. It is connected to a clear plasic overflow so its easy to see fluid level. Came with the van. If I did not have one and was short on funds I would not buy. There are thousands driving with the plastic with no problem. Millions if you count all other cars out there. The system only need to hold 15 psi.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

Plastic tanks are a known weak link in the cooling system, If you can eliminate that weak link removing one potential failure point which could cost you an engine...... why not?
To Save a few dollars at the risk of costing you thousands?

It is risk management, pure and simple.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
andrewvwco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Plastic tanks are a known weak link in the cooling system, If you can eliminate that weak link removing one potential failure point which could cost you an engine...... why not?

Dave

What I think too. They are $40 and if it doesnt work I get another and another and new caps and on and on might bite the bullet.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

The original tanks got hard and brittle with time and would split, while the recent replacements are too soft and can't handle the heat and pressure.

Note the deformed threads that allowed the cap to blow off. The tank had an ~ one year old Bleu cap on it. The fan switch which seemed to have been working normally when I went inside apparently failed just as I walked out of sight and let the engine begin to over heat.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

andrew163980 wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

What I think too. They are $40 and if it doesnt work I get another and another and new caps and on and on might bite the bullet.

Trouble is, one of those failing $40 tanks might cost you a $5000 engine.

Can you swallow that loss?

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
andrewvwco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

Thanks Wildthings and Dave yall always have great first experience with this stuff.

Dave I want a deal on the Tank I know you got connects. Just joking I will keep a eye out in the classifieds. Razz

If I took a $5,000 loss on the van it would be sitting for a while I guess $250 aint crazy.

Wildthings do you have the tank too or still plastic I would think you went metal after that?

Any special brackets needed to mount this tank I see you have to do some wiring?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

while i don't have a RMW tank, they make sense. the coolant level can reliably be observed in the overflow tank if the pressure cap and overflow hose is kept in good shape. 95% of US cars have a sealed, unobserveable radiator with pressure cap and a translucent overflow tank for checking fluid level, the difference being the VW pressure tanks acts as the radiator expansion tank to accumulate air and purge it during cooling cycles.

i bought a Mahle pressure tank with a Blau cap in my refurb. i'll probably travel with the old tank as a spare as Wildthings photo of the tank blowout/bubble is horrendous.

my hedge is that the cooling system is all new, the AC condenser in front of the rad eliminated, and i know the rad thermoswitch kicks on the various speeds dependent upon temp. i don't see my Mahle tank blowing a bubble at 15psi but i won't be driving with my head up my ass either. the RMW tank does elminate a known weak spot.

-dan
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

andrew163980 wrote:

Wildthings do you have the tank too or still plastic I would think you went metal after that?

I have had a RMW tank ever since this incident.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

My original tank cracked so I bought a repro one and it lasted a little over a year before it cracked then I bought the RMW tank and it is great. I have no idea why anyone would check the level in this tank every day because there is no reason to. I check the level in the overflow tank every week or two and never check the level in the aluminium tank.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

I check all fluid levels before embarking on a days journey.

As mentioned, You cannot see inside the aluminum tank. IF the hose between the RMW tank and the VW overflow tank gets compromised somehow, a hole in the hose or a loose connection, this will NOT allow the vacuum created on system cool down to draw the liquid expelled when hot to be drawn back in.

If this happens, your system is now low on coolant.

A risk I'm not willing to assume. Wink

I worry a tad, I think I watch the oil pressure gauge and the temperature gauge while driving more than I glance at the Speedometer...... Laughing Shocked

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

As mentioned, You cannot see inside the aluminum tank. IF the hose between the RMW tank and the VW overflow tank gets compromised somehow, a hole in the hose or a loose connection, this will NOT allow the vacuum created on system cool down to draw the liquid expelled when hot to be drawn back in.

I worry a tad, I think I watch the oil pressure gauge and the temperature gauge while driving more than I glance at the Speedometer...... Laughing Shocked

Dave

So every day before driving you open the rear hatch, remove the engine cover and remove the cap on the RMW tank to visually check the level in case you have a hole in the hose between the two tanks?

Even if there was a hole in the hose and your system was low on coolant, the coolant level alarm would keep flashing after you start the car and you would know about it immediately, particularly if you have an audible coolant alarm.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

You can't see coolant level in the Expansion tank through the license plate hole even if the tank is plastic, so there is really very little difference here.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

So every day before driving you open the rear hatch, remove the engine cover and remove the cap on the RMW tank to visually check the level in case you have a hole in the hose between the two tanks?

Even if there was a hole in the hose and your system was low on coolant, the coolant level alarm would keep flashing after you start the car and you would know about it immediately, particularly if you have an audible coolant alarm.

Absolutely Yes. ^^^

Fact is, most coolant leaks happen on a stone cold engine. So after cool down and the system draws coolant back in, during the night, or during days of being parked, the system can leak.

I had my thermostat cover leak once. I discovered it in the morning hours outside of Billings Montana.

My tank was low so I began seeking why, I found that I had a puddle on the ground.
I had it fixed in 20 minutes or so (nice job on a cold engine, it would be hell on a hot engine) and we were off for a day of trouble free motoring to Great Falls.
Bonus! I had water available and a place to clean up afterwards.

Here in the States dash warning lights are called "idiot lights"..... for a reason.
I don't trust them 100% for electronic systems do fail.
I do however trust my eyes.....
I Look at all fluids, belts, hoses, general overall engine area condition.
I even stop and open the lid a SECOND time after a few miles (I pack accordingly) and my automatic transmission oil gets to operating temperature.... time to check it.

It is 3,000 miles across the USA, a lot if it empty and many of the highways I choose to take are are not well traveled or populated. I once traveled for two hours in Southern Idaho and saw eight cars.
Many areas haven't any surface water. I much prefer using distilled water and always carry a few gallons "just in case".

I'm not going to risk a break down somewhere like in the barrens of Eastern Montana because I was lazy and didn't take a few minutes in the morning to pop the cover and look...... such a simple task to skip.

Off topic, but....
I don't play much music either. I prefer to spend the time with my Wife talking, or in mutual silence watchingbthe World go by and I listen to the vehicle and the highway roll by.
A running antique VW will tell you a lot about its health ....... if you listen to it.

These quirks of mine keep me rolling without any serious mechanical problems.

I Err on the side of caution, my vacation time is too precious to waste making PREVENTABLE roadside repairs or waiting for a tow truck.

If I ever see you stranded along the highway, I'll stop and help.
I carry the tools, parts and supplies that are probably needed to get you rolling again.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle

Last edited by djkeev on Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: