Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aluminum subframe bushings solid mount kit
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronbug73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Aluminum subframe bushings solid mount kit Reply with quote

Hi samba
what do you think about the ALUMINUM SUBFRAME BUSHINGS SOLID MOUNT KIT?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

thank you
Ron
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: ALUMINUM SUBFRAME BUSHINGS SOLID MOUNT KIT Reply with quote

Where did you see this?

A couple of thoughts:

1. In a high-powered car, especially a drag car, especially with slicks,
The rubber sub-frame bushes can cause wheel hop, and badly.
In these type of applications, a solid mount kit can be mandatory.

2. For a street car, with street manners,
The rubber mounts isolating the vibration/noise from the axle/suspension/drivetrain assemblies, at both ends,
makes the car more quiet, comfortable, smooth, and luxurious, even? Confused
The difference in ride quality between the Beetle, with its solid mounted beam and torsion assembly, and the rubber-mounted Type 3, is noticeable.

3. There have been bushings made from Delrin (IIRC), or some other material stiffer than rubber, that can be a sort of compromise between solid and rubber, for a high-powered car, that can still maintain some if its ride quality..
Faintly remember Type 3 Detectives in the UK selling these,
Not sure if that is still true..

What’s That Noise?!?
ronbug73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: ALUMINUM SUBFRAME BUSHINGS SOLID MOUNT KIT Reply with quote

Hi Clatter
i bought them from isp 4 years ago
i was thinking to use them on the restoration
this summer. i understand the ride will become more like a beetle

where can i buy new rubber?
Thank you
Ron
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: ALUMINUM SUBFRAME BUSHINGS SOLID MOUNT KIT Reply with quote

ronbug73 wrote:

Thank you
Ron

You can't.. Sad

What’s That Noise?!?
supersuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum subframe bushings solid mount kit Reply with quote

I remember seeing the delrin ones too, but can't remember from who. I wish I can get a 3d scan of those aluminum bushings so I can make some with my CNC router.
68 Fastback Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5396323#5396323
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Critter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum subframe bushings solid mount kit Reply with quote

Type 3 Detectives sold the Delrin bushings. I bought two sets from them years ago. I have a set in my Notchback now, and I wouldn't have it any other way. If you're going to have some power pushing your car and would like to have some fun with it, then use them. So what, they might make a little extra road noise... Are you going for a 100% original resto? Or mild performance? If you install the original rubbers (which can be worn out BTW.. and can cause your subframe to sit wonky..) the first time you take off from a stop light all balls out and you get tons of wheel hop/chatter.... you'll wish you went ahead and used the aluminum bushings.

My two cents.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum subframe bushings solid mount kit Reply with quote

If I had a choice....personally.....I would use glass filled delrin. Not aluminum.

The stiffness of a glass filled delrin bushing and an aluminum bushing used in this function will be equal.

The problem with aluminum....is that it will be sandwiched between steel in an area prone to water spray and chemical contamination. Galvanic corrosion risk is high.

Those look to be anodized.....which goes a long way toward being less prone to galvanic corrosion. Just keep an eye on them over time. They look very nicely made!

Ray
Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum subframe bushings solid mount kit Reply with quote

I have a set of those ISP aluminum bushings.

Ray - do you think they could be used to make a silicone mold to cast some type of urethane bushing?
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum subframe bushings solid mount kit Reply with quote

Brent wrote:

Ray - do you think they could be used to make a silicone mold to cast some type of urethane bushing?

You want your car to squeak like a Motel 6 bed? Laughing
jgordon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum subframe bushings solid mount kit Reply with quote

heya All

i have the same set from SprintStar
i wouldn't have it any other way

my 68Square
full automatic and Small engine

i notice a little rattle at idle but once moving no issues
NO SQUEAKS
no more washing around in the rear end the original rubber ones were way too soft

i personally like em and really don't notice any additional harshness in the suspension
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum subframe bushings solid mount kit Reply with quote

Brent wrote:

Sure...thats easy. But...in a perfect world. urethane is not really what you want for a suspension bushing that is not easy to change. It would work well in this location....but life kay be shorter than rubber.

Urethane is very hard to get the exact balance of rebound (density) with hardness (durometer). And....all urethanes will continue to get harder by about 3-5% per year. This increase in rate with heat.

I had urethane sway bar bushings that literally shattered at the five year mark. I hsve some pictures somewhere.

The other issue is that urethane as I noted has two properties that fight for the lead.

If you make bushings that are say 50% harder than a stock rubber bushing....which are 45 durometer. You get a 65 durometer urethane. But....the compression rebound rate is about 200% springier than Buna N. So they get too bouncy and are to elastic.

This is why most of your urethane suspension components are the common red 80 durometer or even 85 durometer dark blue. These are 80% harder than stock....which does not tell the whole story.

When the urethanes are much over 70 durometer.....the elasticity/flexibility goes away but the rebound rate does not.

It can break things.

The range of highly tuned urethane formulas are endless. Somewhere someonechas one that would be perfect.

But if you are willing to replace them when they get funky.....5-7 years is not bad.

For this type of bushing....unlike say a end link or sway bar or control arm bushing.....keeping the durometer at say 50-60 would be just fine.

You can use Flexane 80 durometer casting compound with some of their durometer reducer and get a good part. Ray
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum subframe bushings solid mount kit Reply with quote

Can someone post the dimensions of the front body to beam bushings? Mine were toast and need to make some out of aluminum to fit a new front clip.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronbug73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum subframe bushings solid mount kit Reply with quote

I bought front new bushing from Mario T3hq

he is in the classified
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum subframe bushings solid mount kit Reply with quote

I'd pay whatever the asking is for a set of harder rubber or urethane, or..?

Both front and rear..

Wheel hop breaks parts,
And a beetle don't ride all so bad..

What’s That Noise?!?
chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum subframe bushings solid mount kit Reply with quote

My rubber bushings were worn out and I replaced them with the SprintStar set. Im impressed with them so far, the car feels much better.

'68 FI Sunroof Squareback

'70 Westy

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum subframe bushings solid mount kit Reply with quote

chaosisme wrote:
My rubber bushings were worn out and I replaced them with the SprintStar set. Im impressed with them so far, the car feels much better.

Linky?

What’s That Noise?!?
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum subframe bushings solid mount kit Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
chaosisme wrote:

Linky?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2152839
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum subframe bushings solid mount kit Reply with quote

only brand new rubbers in my search so far are these, but they are mexican...

https://www.ebay.de/itm/VW-Typ3-Typ34-Gummilager-D...SwsABabij4
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: ALUMINUM SUBFRAME BUSHINGS SOLID MOUNT KIT Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
ronbug73 wrote:

Thank you
Ron

You can't.. Sad

You CAN but you have to be super patient...I have all of the rubber bushings, NOS with one exception and it's a non-critical part so a used one will work fine.

Took me about 4 years to find them all.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: