Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chrome torsion plate covers
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Chrome torsion plate covers Reply with quote

I've owned a 66 sears rascal on a 61pan been going thru fixing and redoing things that were half done or just wrong wanting to put a set of the chrome torsion covers how big a deal is this
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome torsion plate covers Reply with quote

You are going to more than likely needs some round pry bars, even a large Philips screw driver will work as a pry bar. The torsion bars are under tension and to get the cover back in place it need to be pried back into place so bolt hole line up. Sometimes it is easy other not so.

CB Performance makes aluminum covers #6231 that are better made.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
Leanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome torsion plate covers Reply with quote

Thanks
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Chrome torsion plate covers Reply with quote

It also sometimes helps to start with longer bolts and then switch out to the correct length bolts one at a time after all the bolts are started

If you pull the torsion bar out(which you don't need to just changing the cap) put anti-seize on both ends
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Chrome torsion plate covers Reply with quote

Easy job provided old bolts are not rusted and snap off! Apply PB Blaster for a few days before doing job. No need to touch the torsion bars at all. You may find the 50 year rubber bushings have perished. That makes the job harder as the new ones require some compression (can using longer bolts to bring together and the replace with strong OEM bolts). Remember though the quality of the Asian chrome plates is NOT good. Why not blast/sand repaint the original ones that are there?
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome torsion plate covers Reply with quote

It took about 3 whole weeeks for the chrome to start rusting on the covers I installed on my buggy. Evil or Very Mad

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome torsion plate covers Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:

CB Performance makes aluminum covers #6231 that are better made.

Those look COOL! Almost makes me wish my buggy has swing-axles so I could use them!

On my '62 Bug . . . P.O. put those cheap chrome torsion covers on . . . chrome is rusted . . . and the metal seems thinner than the stock covers!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: