Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original color or change
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Original color or change Reply with quote

4118thing wrote:
I appreciate all the comments. And look forward to more.

I’m very much leaning toward the Avacado. I think the yellow, looks too beachy, while the green fits better with the mountains. Likewise, the green gives it more of a military appearance, dating back to the Kubbelwagen.

I guess the biggest issue is the effect on a relatively low mileage (35k), and deviating from stock, with a 74 color on a 73.

Hey 4118thing,
that's kinda the 'rub' I was referring to, if you're worried about the costs from "deviating from stock" then you'd have to go Yellow.

It's a bit of a catch 22 but like everyone keeps saying it is your choice,
although that don't make it any easier to decide!

Plan b, go yellow, sell it and buy one you can paint Avocado!

Good luck with your decision, i'm sure it'll be fine either way you go.

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Original color or change Reply with quote

seems like a lot of cars are now flat black or other flat colors, I am not a big fan, except on a few models, my thing is burgundy I want to paint it in signal orange, more like ots irigibnal color.
thinking of selling soon as icant drive a shift now, so might just sell it as is, and hope somepne is attracted to it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Original color or change Reply with quote

Alansd, looks like you’re just down off the mountain from me. PM me some details, and more pictures.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Original color or change Reply with quote

When I looked for my Thing, I literally was looking for two characteristics. Little to no rust, and a '73 because I wanted the gas heater.

I like them in about any color. My main thing is avoiding paint types that are real trendy, like that paint that kinda changed colors depending on the angle a few years ago, or something like that. Simply because it eventually becomes dated looking.

Unfortunately it turned out my paint job is a poorly done layer of yellow over the original yellow (which is faded inside). So eventually I do hope to get to the point that I have to decide what color to paint it!

Personally I'm attracted to bright green colors. Which is why I bought the Wild Westerner. So I don't know if I'd want to have the vehicles match or not.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Original color or change Reply with quote

When I'm the buyer, I care less about stock vs. custom color than original paint vs. repaint. What's underneath there, a different color? Bondo right over rust? Your first ever welds? If the quality matches the price then the color is what it is.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: