Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tijuana Quality Body and Paint Shop
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Tijuana Quality Body and Paint Shop Reply with quote

I have a client interested in restoring her 1978 Westfalia. It's been located near the beach here in San Diego for the last few years so it has a good amount of surface rust but nothing too bad. The rain gutter edges and around the windshield need sand blasted and repaired.

Can anyone recommend a good quality shop in TJ to do this work? I met a guy last year who said he had his bus done down there for around $3K and it looked absolutely fantastic. The problem is I never got the name of the shop from him. He said it was very clean and professional. They even restored the pop top and it looked like new. I'm only 20 miles from TJ but never considered taking a car down before this until I saw that guys bus last year.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bsprajc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you're refering to this shop:

"The Best Body Shop in Tijuana"
Sandoval Carroceria y Pintura
Saul Sandoval, Propietario
Av. Baja California #304 Col. Durango
Tijuana, BC
Phone (from USA): 011-52-664-605-78-72

Review:
http://jazzding.com/wordpress/2006/07/09/best-body-shop-in-tijuana-again/[/url]
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the place. One of my clients finally returned from abroad and sent the link to me. He had his 1978 Westfalia completely done there and they did a great job. I'm taking another clients camper down sometime in a few months so when I do I'll give a full report. www.autobodyguys.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some links to pictures of the bus my client took to TJ last year.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=BillHu...feat=email

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=BillHu...feat=email
rusty57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3K? that seems a little high for Tijuana. I was born and raised there and that seems a bit high even for a "big bus".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwairheads
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not dangerous there Rolling Eyes
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwairheads wrote:
its not dangerous there Rolling Eyes

That part bothers me. I would risk going down and back a couple times for this but if it required several trips down to check the progress over a couple months then I might not want to do that. The shop does seem like it's located fairly close to the Otay Mesa crossing and not in the heart of TJ.
vwairheads
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what I mean is when something wrong with your car you cant fight for it beacuse your not in the usa territory.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwairheads wrote:
what I mean is when something wrong with your car you cant fight for it beacuse your not in the usa territory.

That's true too. There would be risk involved but did you look at the shop's web site. Have you spoken to someone who has actually had work done at this shop? My guy said it was cleaner and more professional than 90% of the shops in the US. Plus they do things like sand blasting rust that is hard to find here. Also, they don't have all the EPA restrictions on chemicals (paint) that we have in California so you can get better quality materials.
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Aeromech. Do you have any "before" pictures of the fixed up bus? Just wanted to see the extent of rust and such that $3k can get repaired.
This has me incredibly intrigued. I have recently purchased a 74 Super that, at first, I didn't really care about the body, but looking at that price, I figure why the heck not? I got lucky with my purchase in that the entire interior was redone, new carpets, dash, the works, so I don't need that done, and the engine is in great shape, too.
I have some surface rust on the front, and some dings on the front hood, along with a crack near the front right rear well. There is some deep rust in the back by the window (supports, I guess I can call them?) that I pushed a screwdriver right through. And I think the whole floor board may be shot (it has some holes).
My dad lives in San Diego, and I live near Los Angeles so this isn't really that far from me. Anyways, I'm really interested in this, and would love to be kept posted about how it works out. Also, any pics or stories you have about the extent of work they did would be really appreciated. Thanks!
vwairheads
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to purchase a ghia and drive it to Tijuana make it done there but I'm concern if they really got a backgound fixing a karman ghia
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,
I don't have the "before" pics of that camper that was done down there. I met the guy after it had already been finished. The current project I'm working on is a 1978 Westfalia that experienced an engine fire. Right now, I've pulled the engine and fixed the bad wiring, etc., painted the compartment, and I'm back in and hooking up everything. Once I get her running then it will be a possible challenge to get her smogged. She's been out of service for a couple years. After the bus is back on the road we'll see about the paint and body work. I will keep everyone posted on this because I know there's a lot of interest.

Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I think about it, Tijuana would be the perfect place to get a bug fixed. Didn't they make the old bugs down there until 2000?
rusty57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They made the old fashion beetles in Puebla Mexico until recently. They would know how to fix and paint bugs down there, but for 3K you can get peace of mind here in the US. Ask around and see if anyone you know, knows someone that lives down there, and have them drive the car across and back. Things aren't too nice down there at the moment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rusty. Actually, that's probably going to be my course of action. I'm taking care of refurbishing all mechanical and electrical stuff in the car, and the interior is already completely redone thanks to the previous owner (brand new seats, carpets, etc.). All I'd need is some body work and a painting, and I'd rather pay the extra money here. But, hey, if Aeromech reports back with a miracle, I'll be more than happy to make the drive.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been informed by the owner of my current project that she cannot do the body and paint work this year. Bummer, I wanted to check out that TJ shop.
Sullypops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Here's the place. One of my clients finally returned from abroad and sent the link to me. He had his 1978 Westfalia completely done there and they did a great job. I'm taking another clients camper down sometime in a few months so when I do I'll give a full report. www.autobodyguys.com

Hey Guys,
I am new to the Samba forum. Just bought my first beetle - a '63.
One major problem though, which I knew on purchase- it needs a new heater channel installed on the pass side. I live in San Diego and just contacted the autobodyguys.com for a quote to do the heater channel and other body work and paint. No word back yet, but we shall see.
The rest of the body looks good, just surface rust. No bondo/filler really. Maybe I was naive in thinking that I could get the heater channel replaced for a reasonable cost, but hey it's my first beetle.

Since the last post has anyone actually tried them out? I've been searching around the web and found mainly positive reviews. Also some recommendations for Los Panchos garage down there, but they don't have a website.

I am not equipped to handle the heater channel replacement, nor do I have the space, and I think that labor costs in US will be prohibitive.
Any thoughts/advice is appreciated.
tommyc 21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Tijuana Quality Body and Paint Shop Reply with quote

Hi,

I ham finally (!) getting my 21 window body started before I do the rest. I am looking for recommendations both north and south of the border. I tried the autobodyguys website but it is dead. I am looking from LA south. West coast is very reputable but super expensive and a bit arrogant. I looked at SOS Customzs in San Marcos, and know of Braxmeyers (not sure if he does body work). Also, Romance with Rust in Orange has a bus resto history and the guys selling repro roofs (Grumpy's) Any recommendations? Best quality bodywork with no or minimum filler with near show quality paintwork is what I am after.
clarkster75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Tijuana Quality Body and Paint Shop Reply with quote

You can check all of these on F.Book
CB Classico's Autobody Shop N Restoration Tijuana, Mexico
has done beetles, and some good photos.

Kali kustoms of Tijuana
Automotive Restoration Service in Tijuana, Baja California
Emailed me right back, with a nice message, but not much in 2017/2018 with updated photos

mayabodyshop in TJ, .. has done Beetles and has recent photos

Thinking of taking my beetle down there.. .just not enough time to handle my house, 63 and teenager all at once...lol
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: