Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bud Lindemann (Car and Track) tests the 1973 412
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tlake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Bud Lindemann (Car and Track) tests the 1973 412 Reply with quote

A very positive TV road test by Car and Track. This popular show used to air on CBS from the late '60s to mid '70s. In those days, reflecting the market, most cars tested were domestics, but being very dominant in the import field, VWs got some attention. Cool

Car and Track test the 412
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Bud Lindemann (Car and Track) tests the 1973 412 Reply with quote

Thank you for this!

I wonder where they did this? This HAD to be a four speed model. In a four door that would have only been available in Europe, Canada, UK or Australia.

The 11.2 second 0-60 is about spot on for the 4 speed...and better than teh advertised 13 seconds for the automatic.

There were a few small discrepancies on information in the video:

The 76hp rating was from the changeover in that year from DIN to BHP rating. It is still listed as 80hp DIN and 76hP SAE with 8,2:1 compression and injection in 1973...and the same exact spec engine in 1972 is listed as 80hp DIN and 82-85hp SAE.

The issues with the front wallowing and then becoming "washed" out...are because of two items:

The biggest being poor valving in the front struts coupled with just overall weak pressure in the struts. There was not enough rebound control versus compression....and when multiplied by the nose high attitude....you get too much strut extension...AND...all of this is greatly multiplied by the second item...

Which was the fact that the rear was excessively low because the front was simply too high. The chassis pivots around the rear axle...and it needed more sway control on the rear sway bar.

I can tell you....that this car gets rid of ALL of those handling issues when you do the Audi strut mod....which had better valving in both directions...drops the front level.....and...add the double sway bar mod to the read end....and this car handles an easy 200% better, flatter...and no more pulling the front wheel off the ground.

I can tell you....I have done that very thing...same scary maneuver...in my very first 1972 VW 411 four door.

You add 10 hp to the 1.7L and do some tuning to the injection ...and with the four speed and good tires....right around 8-9 seconds 0-60 is easy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kirk knighton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bud Lindemann (Car and Track) tests the 1973 412 Reply with quote

THANK YOU for sharing this! I have two fully-operational and mint 412s. And I see you also live in Washington State? Where? And you have a 412?
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bud Lindemann (Car and Track) tests the 1973 412 Reply with quote

Thanks for sharning!

Surprised over how high and narrow wheeled the cars were from factory...but after all 155/85 was the stock tire dimension for the coupe.

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bud Lindemann (Car and Track) tests the 1973 412 Reply with quote

Lars S wrote:
Thanks for sharning!

Surprised over how high and narrow wheeled the cars were from factory...but after all 155/85 was the stock tire dimension for the coupe.

/Lars S

Yes.....the tires were a big part of the handling problems. Its odd though....in the beginning yes the stock tire size was 155/85.
I have never figured out if the 165/85 or the 185/75.....were a US option or a dealer option or just a later spec as they moved into the 412 model.

Pretty much it was rare to find a 411 or 412 in the US without the 165 minimum tire and all of them came with radials in the US. My first car....a 1972 411 four door... had 55k miles on it when I got it in 1978. It had 185/75 Michellins on it including the spare. I am almost pos8tive they were original because they were on the fringe of worn out.

Because I was a poor high school student.....6 months later I needed new tires...pulled out the book and saw that 155s were a common size.....and of course were the cheapest. Installing a set of those.....made the handling far worse.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bud Lindemann (Car and Track) tests the 1973 412 Reply with quote

The Variant had steel radial 165's and the Coupe had 155's as listed in the 411 owners manual. Dont think that changed for the 412.

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
tlake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Bud Lindemann (Car and Track) tests the 1973 412 Reply with quote

The Car and Track show was based in Michigan, and you can see Michigan plates on all the cars they tested, but it isn't easy to see.

The test times magazines and shows got in the '70s and '80s varied greatly. For the most part Car and Track seemed to get really good figures for the cars they tested, often better than you would expect, so I would say they tested an automatic and just happened to get a very good time. The 1974 AMC Matador X coupe they tested got about the same 11+ second time, but I suspect that car's 401 V8 was out of tune, and emissions were a little stricter in 1974.

I suspect the 412's high front had something to do with Federal lighting laws / ride height. Imports like the MGB and BMW 2002 had spacers in their shock towers, when these were removed handling got better.

The 80 DIN 76 SAE figure for 1972 was really very good, considering many imports lost a lot of power with smog tuning. As common with many magazines the specs they annnounce always seem to refer to the previous model year. I assume shows and magazines get their cars very early for testing.

For a stock car I thought the 412 handled very well. There's a video online of an '83 Porsche 911 SC convertible MotorWeek tested, when they took their foot off the gas when doing the lane swerve test, the tail really came around pendulum style, the driver lost control and missed the target lane altogether Exclamation At the end of the day these are rear engined cars. I should add that most of the domestics the show tested handled very badly, including plow on understeer. The '73 412 and '74 Super Bug seemed almost like sportscars in comparison. Very Happy

Did I put WA? That's family origin, I am mainly in NC for work. No, I don't have a Type 4, but have always liked them, and felt they should have had more commercial success. After all, as Car and Track concludes, if you really like VWs, then you should love the 412 because they are like an ultimate sedan development. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: