Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

I found this bus on Craigslist 2 years ago. I was not ready for a project yet. Turns out a family friend's girlfriend's younger brother bought it back then. He put it in his grandmother's garage. And it just sat there. I think these 16 year olds got frustrated when they could not get the lug nuts off. They just left it. They pulled the interior and that is it.

The tires are 15 years old, so I guess it was originally parked in 2005-ish.

Sold 4 times and made it's way from North Carolina to Nashville, TN. Never Registered, never titled. I am gonna have this baby running in less than a year, mark my words.

Could not stand looking at the BLACK moldy roof, so yesterday I cleaned the roof, pulled all the side windows. Today I pulled the engine and the fuel tank. Tank has some holes....

My thought is to fix vs. buy new. Ideas?

Damn I am tired.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by malcolm2 on Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:38 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

New tank needed, she is crusty. Inside will be worse
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
New tank needed, she is crusty. Inside will be worse

I read thru the RATWELL tank restoration process. I have already rinsed it and bounced some nuts and bolts around inside. Next, I am gonna try the acid wash a few times and then use some of the POR metal ready.

If that doesn't clean it up I guess I'll have to get a new one. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Everywhere there is a hole the metal will be thinned for cm around the hole. The PoR process won’t replace that metal,so the tank will continue to development leaks. The fix is to cut and replace metal but then you figure out what’s easier pretty quickly
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Question ... There are literal holes in your gas tank... buy the replacement, they work fine. Aftermarket isn't so bad they can't make a gas tank.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Wow, I've salvaged some really nasty tanks, but that one is beyond salvation IMO, how will you keep the acid inside when cleaning it?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Great project. I love how the roof cleaned up.

But, seriously, do not waste your time (and put the bus' future at risk of death by fire) on that tank.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Wow, I've salvaged some really nasty tanks, but that one is beyond salvation IMO, how will you keep the acid inside when cleaning it?

Yeah, the more the nuts and bolts bang around, the more holes show up. I have been shopping on line and I guess JBugs is the cheapest I have found so far. Then another $90 for the sending unit.

Won't have to worry for another 46 years, I guess.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

From reading other posting on The Samba, it sounds like the new tanks are thinner walled than the original ones. And coating the inside with POR has also gotten a bad reputation.

But would it make sense to coat the exterior of a new gas tank with some type of rust preventative and paint? In the case of malcolm2's tank, it appears the rust original on the outside rather than the inside in many cases.

Just a thought and something to consider.

While you have the tank out, I would suggest adding sound deadened at the forward side of the tank (between the tank and bench seat). This helped quiet a lot of the engine noise when I did mine last year.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
But would it make sense to coat the exterior of a new gas tank with some type of rust preventative and paint? In the case of malcolm2's tank, it appears the rust original on the outside rather than the inside in many cases.

That one failed from the inside, the outer coating appears intact for the most part, how well the crappy aftermarket tanks are painted isn't something I've seen first hand, but sitting in an enclosed compartment out of the weather isn't hard on most paint so I wouldn't be too worried unless it came in bare metal on the exterior.

The inside will never rust in ones lifetime if you keep the gas fresh and store it with a nearly full tank, non ethanol gas stores better as well. I'd rather take my chances on the thin Chinesium tank with no coating internally than risk a coating fail, if forced at gunpoint to coat it I'd choose the Bill Hirsch product, long proven and easy to remove if it acts up.

But personally I'd shop around for a good used OG tank, especially since the OP has a 72 with that long skinny bendy filler neck, the repro tanks don't have the extra vent it needs to make for speedy filling. Also makes repairing and reusing an OG sender possible since the repro tanks use a sender that doesn't play well with the pre mid 73 tube sender style gauge, most of those repro float and arm style senders fail in a year anyway, fix an OG one and wait 40+ more years for it to act up.

Malcolm, you need a 72-mid 73 tank.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
the repro tanks don't have the extra vent it needs to make for speedy filling.

I was curious about the small vent tubes. one on each rear corner of the tank. A small tube makes it's way UP to the rear vents, where I see a bulb in the tube, then the tube turns back downward and that's it. looks to be just open ended.

Is all that for tank filling? If not, what does it do? What about the bulb near each end?

Last question.... so Folks on the classifieds will have used tanks in good condition?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
Last question.... so Folks on the classifieds will have used tanks in good condition?

Possibly, buyer beware of course, ask for pics and check thier feedback. You might have to do some cleaning, but compared to what you have now that's minor.

The small tube on each side leading up into the bulbs in the scoops is for venting to compensate for atmospheric expansion and fuel consumption, the bulbs are liquid separators. The lines connected to a Tee in the engine compartment that led to a charcoal canister to store vapors until they can be burnt off in the engine.
The 72 has a 3rd larger vent in the middle rear that connects to the neck near the filler cap.

Слава Україні!
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Oh, hey!

I have the tank I took out of my May 1973 Bus I would be happy to sell. (I removed it because I installed fuel injection in my Bus.)

Though it did not take the tube style sending unit. So it sounds like maybe it isn't the perfect tank for you.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

Malcolm, you need a 72-mid 73 tank.

I assume he is suggesting vans made at the 1/2 way point of 1972 thru 1973. Model Year starts in September and lasts 'til August, right?

Not sure we can tell about the tanks, but his suggestion would be Jan 1972 thru August of 1973.

Mine was made in November, 1971.

VWwestyman, I believe your tank, if it is original, could be in that range. You want to send me some pix? my email is [email protected]

Here is a shot of the top of mine. I'll see if I can get a closer shot, or zoom in on this one.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

The OG non tube (bayonet mount float and arm style) will work, but the needle in the gauge may be a bit hyperactive sometimes. Westyman's tank would be a big improvement over your current one, even if the gauge is a little jumpy.

Слава Україні!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
The OG non tube (bayonet mount float and arm style) will work, but the needle in the gauge may be a bit hyperactive sometimes. Westyman's tank would be a big improvement over your current one, even if the gauge is a little jumpy.

So the tube type sending unit, won't fit in the tank you suggest? Too long? wrong mounting holes, is the hole angled differently. Just curious.

Should I consider a 1973 fuel gauge to match the arm style sending unit?
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

My tank takes the later style "twist and lock" sending unit.

I believe the new model year for VW always starts August 1 of the preceeding year. (i.e. 1973 model Buses were first built on August 1, 1972.)

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Week 1 update...

* Tank is out and evaluated... Need a new one
* Engine is out, tins, flywheel etc..., exhaust, fuel pump, fan and housing plus a few other things are off.
* ALT, Disty, Cooling Flaps are all missing.
* front brakes are off. Will evaluate the calipers for rebuild vs buying fresh, rotors and hubs are apart, cleaned 5 pounds of hardened mud off of and around the ball joints, which are toast.
* Rear Stub Axles are off. Tuff time getting the drivers side nut off. It took Oxy Acetylene. Buggered up the threads on the tip, might be ok. Will need a new nut. The heat has ruined the temper.
* Rear Brakes are off. Would like to get the baking plate off and sand blasted, plus paint.
* All CV joints are removed, disassembled and cleaned.
* Bentley Manual arrived Saturday

HAPPY EASTER
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Let's see if this works.... Here is a link to my Flickr album.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmhCasWD
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Not much work done in week 2. The wife made me go to the beach. I did order some stuff tho. Rear Backing plates, wheel cylinders, shoes, springs, E-brake.
Bout the only things I can re-use are the adjusters. Have been spending lots of time on the BRAKES.

I think this bus has been sitting in a field and all the hardware on the brakes has rusted together. 2 hours to get 2 bolts off, jeez.

Just about everything is off, brake wise now. Did the MC and the Booster tonight. Servo or Booster? what is the difference?

Gonna need a new one of each, MC and Booster.

Last edited by malcolm2 on Fri May 04, 2018 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: