Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What You Guys Think About This Heater Box Enhancement?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: What You Guys Think About This Heater Box Enhancement? Reply with quote

Heater boxes really limit the size/power of motor you can build.
There comes a point where you will choke and strangle a motor, stacking up heat into the heads..

The bigger headers can be put into heater box shells,
But they sure don't give off a whole bunch of heat like those cast aluminum finned heat sink dealiebobbers inside a factory heater box.

So,
Here's an idea I wanted to bounce offa y'all..

Think welding fins onto the J-tubes inside some heater shells will actually help anything?
Maybe this will just insulate the heat in the tubes from airflow?

(Yes, Alice, these are type 4 pre-heaters, but the theory is the same Razz )

Helping or hindering the generation of heat into the cabin??
I was going to weld a whole passel of these into there..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What’s That Noise?!?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What You Guys Think About This Heater Box Enhancement? Reply with quote

That's gotta be better than just smooth pipes, any way you increase the surface area will increase the heat output.

Below is a few different ways it's done on aircraft, the short round muffler @ 9:00 is covered with small finned studs, the crossover tube @12:30 has spiral strips that force the air to take it's time and get to all the sides of the pipe, both are covered by a thin aluminum or SS shell when installed, food for thought on your project.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What You Guys Think About This Heater Box Enhancement? Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

Think welding fins onto the J-tubes inside some heater shells will actually help anything?
]

I'll tell you that it will definitely work. I've opened up the empty large bore heater boxes and added fins, and the difference is night and day. I use some 1/8x3/4" flat bar, and weld long fins along the J tube. You'd be surprised how much you can fit in there, I think I got maybe 12-14 fins that run the full length of the heater box. That's a lot of surface area for heat transfer.
The type 4 boxes look to be more of a puzzle, but the same tactics should apply.
SD
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What You Guys Think About This Heater Box Enhancement? Reply with quote

I figured out with equal lenght headers on a 5.0 that the more suface area the more heat transfer so a bunch of small diameter pipes instead of one big one would work better.
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What You Guys Think About This Heater Box Enhancement? Reply with quote

The gas heaters in the VW Thing are the ultimate heater. It will make you roll the windows down even on the coldest day.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What You Guys Think About This Heater Box Enhancement? Reply with quote

Too bad you couldn't design a negative scoop for it so it would recirculate it's self before going to the cabin.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: What You Guys Think About This Heater Box Enhancement? Reply with quote

First the smooth T-4 pipes make great header for upright conversions.
The other version has the really massive heavy cast fins great for heat but hell to remove if you want them as headers and no heat.

OK My off the wall examples.

My first home had heavy case iron radiators

My second home had hot water base board

My new home has Forced air.

Nothing is like heavy thick metal, like my radiators, they also hold the heat so there is a slow transition from hot to cold.

Your sheet metal is better and the thicker steel is even better.

The advantages are you can always remove the additions and make them back to headers.

BTY I HATE FORCE AIR- HEAT!!

Oh and Gas Heater-- Overkill in a bug or ghia-- buses fine. Ya you have to open the windows, too hot.

Dangerous and I got exhaust fumes coming in.

Sold it !!!!!
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: