Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flaky, slow mechanic. Should I take somewhere else?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Flaky, slow mechanic. Should I take somewhere else? Reply with quote

I was spoiled by a local dude who I paid extra money to and he gave me top priority. When he left, the old crotchety guy didn't seem too interested in making it easy for me to spend my money with him. So I got pissy and took my car to a shop an hour away that wasn't busy and seemed eager to make it easy for me to spend my money.

Well, I soon learned why they had no wait. Everything they did I had to re-do. And I learned how to do it all myself. My issue at that point was time. I had an event coming up and didn't have time to figure out andcdo it all.

So eventually, when I ran into something else I couldn't do I went to the local old guy. Turns out he's had a bad history with cheap VW owners who want everything now on the cheap. So as he takes care of me on the rare occasions I need help me or my VW buddies can't handle, I make sure to toss him some extra cashola. Not a ton, but an extra $20 or $30 makes a difference in the crotchety level and willingness to squeeze me in.
1970Type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Flaky, slow mechanic. Should I take somewhere else? Reply with quote

wythac wrote:
A few other factors might be at play:

1.) No local competition for a shop working on old ACVWs

2.)Overbooked due to #1 above.

3.)Because of #1 and #2, guy who could/should be answering phones and communicating with customers is turning wrenches to relieve #2.

Be thankful that you have someone even as close as 30 miles away, and start spending some time learning how to become the best ACVW mechanic on your street, because that will be useful to you whether there is a shop in your area, or not.

Sounds like you are over the mild case of "gitdunitis". Good luck with your project!

You made good points. I have a couple choices closet by and yes, being an acvw owner means you should be able to perform basic maintenance.
Thanks!
1970Type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Flaky, slow mechanic. Should I take somewhere else? Reply with quote

HippyTom wrote:
I was spoiled by a local dude who I paid extra money to and he gave me top priority. When he left, the old crotchety guy didn't seem too interested in making it easy for me to spend my money with him. So I got pissy and took my car to a shop an hour away that wasn't busy and seemed eager to make it easy for me to spend my money.

Well, I soon learned why they had no wait. Everything they did I had to re-do. And I learned how to do it all myself. My issue at that point was time. I had an event coming up and didn't have time to figure out andcdo it all.

So eventually, when I ran into something else I couldn't do I went to the local old guy. Turns out he's had a bad history with cheap VW owners who want everything now on the cheap. So as he takes care of me on the rare occasions I need help me or my VW buddies can't handle, I make sure to toss him some extra cashola. Not a ton, but an extra $20 or $30 makes a difference in the crotchety level and willingness to squeeze me in.

The good point that you made was the fact that the reason why they are busy is that it could be that they are the local "Got to" spot for VW owners in Austin, TX. They did say that all of the sudden, everyone that owns a bus wants it to run again. My guess is the weather. That could be an influencing factor. Most people like to drive their VWs when the weather is nice, since some don't even have heat and don't have AC.
Thanks for your insight and you're right about needing to learn how to do at least the basic stuff all myself.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Flaky, slow mechanic. Should I take somewhere else? Reply with quote

wythac wrote:

3.)Because of #1 and #2, guy who could/should be answering phones and communicating with customers is turning wrenches to relieve #2.

This is compounded by the 40-60 telephone solicitors a day who hang up before you can finish telling them to remove you from their call list only for them to call back several times that day.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Flaky, slow mechanic. Should I take somewhere else? Reply with quote

Hear, hear, TDI. It's been years since I've needed a shop for my ACVW, but even further back I learned that it was a waste of everyone's time to call my favorite shop....if it was important, I'd drop in with some time on my hands and wait til someone could talk. If they were busy, I'd come back. Easy for me to say though since I haven't needed an ACVW to get me to and from work since the 80's.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Flaky, slow mechanic. Should I take somewhere else? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

This is compounded by the 40-60 telephone solicitors a day who hang up before you can finish telling them to remove you from their call list only for them to call back several times that day.

I have the fix for that. I started talking to them like I was a phone sex operator. nothing gets them off the phone faster than asking them if they want a hot load of throat yogurt.

had one girl on the phone for about 5 minutes. 99% sure she got fired....she said the call was being recorded.

I have not had 1 telemarketer call in over 6 months now. Dancing downside is I am probably on some sex offender list...but it's worth it not to have to answer the calls

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Flaky, slow mechanic. Should I take somewhere else? Reply with quote

I had three different credit card processing companies calling me 6-7 times a day for months, I finally told them I was interested & they each sent their “local representative” to give me their competitive rate, so I scheduled all three of them within an hour of each other. The first thing these assholes ask for is a copy of my bank statement so I tell them that I need to see their business card & drivers license as proof of who they are before I can release such information, I then photocopied their ID & then handed them a call log of each & every date & time that their telemarketers called me & told them that this was harassment & against FCC regulation & if I got one more call from their company, I was going to sue them personally & then sue their company. The last one got pissed & told me that he flew in from Georgia, rented a car & that he was going to beat my ass, I told him “good, now I’ve wasted as much of your time as your company has of mine” & informed the stupid fucker of my state’s castle doctrine & gave him the choice of leaving vertically or horizontally. He left without his license.

I have never gotten another call from any of those companies again & only had to do it to another since.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Flaky, slow mechanic. Should I take somewhere else? Reply with quote

Wow are these guys tough or what? I’m scared just reading this. ^^^
Back on topic I guess it’s a sign of the times because of shortage of mechanics and those willing to work on VWs in particular. Hardly a week goes by you don’t see a plea or recommendation for mechanic in some location. So it’s gotten to the point of humoring, cajoling and tipping to get it done. Wow. Very Happy
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Flaky, slow mechanic. Should I take somewhere else? Reply with quote

Why do you guys even answer your phone?
If it's a number that I have in my contacts, then I answer
If not, then it goes to voicemail.
If it's important, they leave a message.
If not, then I haven't been bothered
If they are telemarketers, then the number gets blocked.

I don't have a landline as nobody but telemarketers would use that number, and I have my cell on vibrate so it's as least disturbing as possible.

now, back on topic, is your van still there and have you heard from them yet?

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
1970Type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Flaky, slow mechanic. Should I take somewhere else? Reply with quote

slave1pilot wrote:
Why do you guys even answer your phone?
If it's a number that I have in my contacts, then I answer
If not, then it goes to voicemail.
If it's important, they leave a message.
If not, then I haven't been bothered
If they are telemarketers, then the number gets blocked.

I don't have a landline as nobody but telemarketers would use that number, and I have my cell on vibrate so it's as least disturbing as possible.

now, back on topic, is your van still there and have you heard from them yet?

Thanks for following up. So, I called them a couple days ago just to let them know that my disk brake conversion kit was being drop shipped to them, in hopes that they would volunteer some information. All I got was that they have had several small/quick jobs come & go but that I am still in line to have mine done. I asked for some kind of a timeline & was told that they are hoping to have it done in 1-2 weeks from now.
I drove by this morning before they opened & it's still in the same place.
I called a local mechanic close to my home and he asked me to call him the middle of next week to confirm his availability and then said that he would try to have it done by the middle of April so that I could make the VW show is Fredericksberg Texas. Either way, it looks like I'm waiting a couple more weeks. I'd hate to have to start all over again and be put in line somewhere else. I think that the worse part is that I have literally never received a call from them.
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Flaky, slow mechanic. Should I take somewhere else? Reply with quote

I work at the only acvw shop in an 500 mile radius with my friend and from the sound of it, you all are dealing with some very unprofessional people who don't really work while they are at work. We never have a car more than 6 months even for total restoration. We are both in our 30s, though, so that may be the difference. Quality work is one thing, but customer service is another, and it often makes the difference between repeat customers or not. It's a shame to hear about shops like that.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Flaky, slow mechanic. Should I take somewhere else? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Flaky, slow mechanic. Should I take somewhere else? Reply with quote

Sorry to hear of your troubles with local shops, especially with the vwclassic show in Fredricksburg in a few weeks. Just want to toss this info out there :

Autobahn auto services.

Although they are near 410 & 35 in San Antonio, they may be able to get your wheels rolling in a timely manner. I understand the tow would be a long one and may not be an option but I've heard good about them. Just passing on some info. I will be using them for stuff I can't do myself but haven't yet ... as my go-to guy retired in December ( Pierce Automotive ).

There are actually a number of shops in SA that repair ACVWs... not sure if these are even an option for you ... what with the distance and all. Google map it & decide.

I've also heard of a guy in Comfort, Tx. but I think he only does engine work & by appointment only.

Time is a marchin on !

Hope this issue gets resolved satisfactorily ... ! !

jinx ... near S.A.,Tx.

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
1970Type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Flaky, slow mechanic. Should I take somewhere else? Reply with quote

tootype2crazy wrote:
I work at the only acvw shop in an 500 mile radius with my friend and from the sound of it, you all are dealing with some very unprofessional people who don't really work while they are at work. We never have a car more than 6 months even for total restoration. We are both in our 30s, though, so that may be the difference. Quality work is one thing, but customer service is another, and it often makes the difference between repeat customers or not. It's a shame to hear about shops like that.

Ya....I agree. I just went there this past Thursday to drop off my Saco Performance front disk brake conversion kit and all the shop owner told me was, "OK...we'll get it in line." I couldn't but think to myself "In line? It's been parked in front of your shop for over 2 weeks now." I was really hoping that the guy would give me a gleam of hope. Something...anything....but nothing!
So, I called a local reputable mechanic in my own town and he asked me to call him in the middle of this coming week to get a better idea of how soon he could get it done. There's a VW show in the middle of April that I want to go to & it's going to be a good one. One where everyone camps out.
Thanks!
1970Type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Flaky, slow mechanic. Should I take somewhere else? Reply with quote

jinx758 wrote:
Sorry to hear of your troubles with local shops, especially with the vwclassic show in Fredricksburg in a few weeks. Just want to toss this info out there :

Autobahn auto services.

Although they are near 410 & 35 in San Antonio, they may be able to get your wheels rolling in a timely manner. I understand the tow would be a long one and may not be an option but I've heard good about them. Just passing on some info. I will be using them for stuff I can't do myself but haven't yet ... as my go-to guy retired in December ( Pierce Automotive ).

There are actually a number of shops in SA that repair ACVWs... not sure if these are even an option for you ... what with the distance and all. Google map it & decide.

I've also heard of a guy in Comfort, Tx. but I think he only does engine work & by appointment only.

Time is a marchin on !

Hope this issue gets resolved satisfactorily ... ! !

jinx ... near S.A.,Tx.

Thank you Sir for the info.
I am going to give it one more week. My local mechanic told me to call him this coming Wednesday to get a better idea as to how long it would take him.
Then, I would need to get it towed from Austin back to San Marcos.
I can't wait until this bus is running again. This way, I can plan getting routine repairs way far in advance.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Flaky, slow mechanic. Should I take somewhere else? Reply with quote

You should see if there are any clubs or other enthusiasts in your area that you can get together with & learn how to do the routine maintenance yourself. If you don’t, you’ll continue to be at the mercy of the few remaining shops that are willing to work on them.

1970Type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Flaky, slow mechanic. Should I take somewhere else? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
You should see if there are any clubs or other enthusiasts in your area that you can get together with & learn how to do the routine maintenance yourself. If you don’t, you’ll continue to be at the mercy of the few remaining shops that are willing to work on them.

Well, the truth is, I was decent when this was my daily driver. I was more of a hands-on guy back then. I did install all the parts on a new 1915cc long block and the rebuilt transmission myself. I was willing to pay a professional if they could get it done sooner than I would be able to.
By now, I could have had the engine out and possibly could have had the leak repaired by my most valuable thing is time. I'm away from home about 13 hours and weekends are the only time I have to balance family, aging parents, chores.
Thanks!
1970Type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Flaky, slow mechanic. Should I take somewhere else? Reply with quote

UPDATE: Tuesday April 3rd was the first correspondence that I had ever received.
I had called them around 9 am to find out where I stood in the never ending line of ACVW that need repair. The service writer didn't know. Told me he'd have the owner/mechanic call me back in about an hour. That call never came. I called in the early afternoon to find that he had gone to lunch and to expect either an email or a phone call when he got back.
Well, that email or call never came either.
So, I finally received an email from the owner around 7:30 pm last night saying that he doesn't think that he would have my BUS road worthy by the VW show on April 20th.
I have another local VW mechanic lined up that said he would get it done and that it won't sit around too long at his shop. I am going to ask these guys if they can just make it drivable. So far, I heard that it turns over. So, they rebuilt the carbs. Now, I just need brakes.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Flaky, slow mechanic. Should I take somewhere else? Reply with quote

1970Type2 wrote:
Now, I just need brakes.

I'd be surprised if a local repair shop couldn't do brakes. Much simpler than "self-adjusting" drum brakes.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
1970Type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Flaky, slow mechanic. Should I take somewhere else? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
1970Type2 wrote:
Now, I just need brakes.

I'd be surprised if a local repair shop couldn't do brakes. Much simpler than "self-adjusting" drum brakes.

I agree. I just want this thing running so I can get it to my local guy that's ready to start working on it.
My local mechanic told me that there are a lot of shops out there that hate working on air cooled because they're a pain in the ass.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: