Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New owner/ new member
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: New owner/ new member Reply with quote

Welcome Robin ! nice Bus ! I looked at this thread quickly and did not see anyone suggest a brake light switch. It is on the side of the master cylinder with the electrical connections. Cheap, easy and would explain why brake lights suddenly quit. The John Muir's book is good reading and gives you a basic understanding of these vehicles. You are already finding out that this is the place to be for support and advice...NO Better Place !
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: New owner/ new member Reply with quote

Welcome Robin, you have style! I believe there are two switches on the master cylinder, front & rear circuits. I have a well-worn Bentley "Bus bible" in which I have noted on the wiring diagram modifications I have made over the 20 years we have been together.

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: New owner/ new member Reply with quote

Welcome!
X3 on the brake light switch. Switches on our 69 have failed 3 times over the past 10 years.
Look at the ones you have and make sure the replacements have the same number of connections. Relatively easy fix.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: New owner/ new member Reply with quote

Thank you everyone! I managed to get the brake light issue fixed with some help from my local mechanic and their tools/assistance. It was the brake light switch on the master cylinder.
Since then I have developed another small issue. There is an intermittent squealing belt sound (sometimes very quiet and sometimes louder, not depending on whether the van is hot or cold) coming from the steering area or below. I have my books etc on order but am guessing this could be a steering belt? I knelt down to look under the front and see that there is an area with a cover I could take off to look inside but I'm still not sure of the anatomy as I have not got my books/charts yet. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thank you again in advance!

Robin
(Still haven't decided on a name for my new bus <3 )
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: New owner/ new member Reply with quote

If you find a steering belt, please post a pic. Wink Because yours would be the first one in history to have one.

The steering mechanism is pretty basic compared to modern power steering. And nothing in the system rotates, so the sounds of a loose belt can't be explained. However, the front wheels do rotate, and any noise there can migrate thru the metal and sound like it's coming from the underside.

So you might want to check the front brakes for the discs rubbing against the rotor. Or it's possible the backing plate got bent a little, causing it to rub.

Anybody else have ideas what it could be?

BTW... I vote for the name of BlueBelle Smile

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: New owner/ new member Reply with quote

Thank you Kent. As you can see i am still a gal who knows nothing about these(or any other) vehicle beyond how to drive and put gas in it. I do however have a strong desire to learn and np fear of getting dirty! Smile I'm still looking for an on site course locally and looking into clubs to help me learn. I will look into those other things tour mentioned.... Thank you:)
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: New owner/ new member Reply with quote

Possible that the squealing you hear up front MAY be a sticking brake caliper.

After a drive feel the wheel hubcap with your hand. If one or both of them is pretty warm, it is possible that the rubber brake line hose has collapsed internally not allowing brake fluid to return to the master cylinder and is allowing the brake caliper to drag on the brake rotor causing the heat.

The rubber brake hose looks something like this and even though they are only about $15 each, it is good to do them when redoing the brakes so you only have to bleed the brake lines one time....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: New owner/ new member Reply with quote

Wow Thank you!!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New owner/ new member Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I do however have a strong desire to learn and np fear of getting dirty! Smile

And I applaude your desire to learn. Applause I think your bus/van is an excellent place to learn.

Until last year when I got Chloe, I knew very little about her workings. With lots of help from The Sambanistas, I've learned a helluva lot, and am much more confident about diving into a problem and figuring out how to fix it. I'm still a newbie, but a newbie that can fix some of the basic things.

So keep at it! You'll have fun, and will meet lots of on-line friends along the way.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New owner/ new member Reply with quote

You might be able to locate it by jacking the car up one wheel at a time and then spinning each front wheel by hand to see if you hear a squeak-squeak as the wheel goes round.

Don’t go underneath or under the tire on the jack, just get it one inch off the ground and spin.

After that. Try grabbing the wheel at 9 and 3 o’clock And wiggle , then repeat at 12 and 6. You shouldn’t feel any looseness of clunking...also called play

This is telling you the condition of your ball joints, steering gear, tie rods, and wheel bearings...all components of the front suspension.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: