Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tips for camping in an MV/Weekender
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for camping in an MV/Weekender Reply with quote

I wrote a detailed ISO 9000 procedure for removal of the stock MV cooler in another thread. Proud of it, too.
ddcolem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for camping in an MV/Weekender Reply with quote

hey folks... we just got a 2002 Weekender, bright red! We're about to take our first real trip in it... from San Francisco to Northern Vermont. Two adults, two teens, and a dog. Trip is planned to take about a month.

Clearly we're insane.

But here's my question. I've slept a couple nights on the upper bunk. It's... not ideal, given my back problems. Is there room in there for maybe a 1 or 2 inch memory foam topper to fit in and be left in while traveling? Will it cause roof problems? Has anyone tried this?

At a minimum, do folks leave bedding up there while traveling? Sleeping bag or other?

We have done a little bit of modding to our Eurovan so far -- Duluth seat covers in front, dog-proof ones in back. A Sony stereo with CarPlay dual DIN (https://www.amazon.com/Sony-XAV-AX100-Android-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B01MF9W0GU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522270591&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+avx+ax+100). We've got lots of plans and ideas for other things... i've been enjoying reading the many interesting posts in these forums for ideas.

Thanks for any wisdom you folks can share!
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for camping in an MV/Weekender Reply with quote

Maybe not insane... perhaps just fearless? Wink

That said, I'd definitely recommend doing at least a couple test-run trips if you haven't already (I can't tell if your "couple nights on the upper bunk" were legit camping trips, or just driveway tests Wink ). It's amazing how many little kinks get worked out on those first few trips -- especially loading/unloading/camp set-up, refining your "what to bring" (and what not to bring) list, etc.

We sleep in the upper bunk pretty much exclusively currently, and have tried quite a few variations. This is where we've landed:

1) The stock pads on the bottom

2) The Klymit Double V Double Wide air mattress on top of that, deflated and folded slightly when the top is down to keep from catching the hinges, etc., but quickly inflated when the top goes back up via a 12V electric air pump (thanks @markcm2 for pointing us toward both of these products at the beginning of this thread). It lays super-flat when it's deflated and folded just so.

3) A 1" memory foam mattress topper on top of that, left in place all the time.

4) Fleece blanket on top of that, to make setting up the sleeping bag easier (the foam doesn't "grab" it) and also as an extra precaution against the memory foam chemically interacting with the roof + keep the foam more clean in general

Our sleeping bag is a two-person compression bag, and I hoped to be able to just keep it up there, laid out... but alas the Weekender top is low enough profile that that doesn't seem to work (even without the memory foam in place). I've thought about modifying the upper bunk to lower it slightly, but that's a long way down my list, and involves enough structural roof modification in the back that I don't really expect I'll ever do it. Maybe though. Wink )

That combination has worked well for us, and the added mattress padding makes a huge difference. Perhaps give it a try and see how it works for you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mkscott2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for camping in an MV/Weekender Reply with quote

I agree with IdeaNerd- not insane, just adventurous! It'll be a trip you and your kids never forget.

I also agree that a few weekend trips will give you a great idea of how things will work for you. For example, I learned the hard way that the best place for the cooler is not right in front of the heater vent Rolling Eyes , so I made a deck/riser with an insulated "duct". Now the cooler can sit right behind the passenger seat, we have slightly more floor space, and added a cubbie for a pair of shoes.

As for sleeping, my boys sleep upstairs on the stock padding and their bags. I have not left the bags up top, but may try that on our next outing. My wife and I are on the bottom and we have the GoWesty mattress topper, which works out very well for us.

One final tip might be to find a place outside the van to keep dirty clothes. On a trip that long, they can foul the air pretty quick... trust me, been there. I'm thinking of keeping ours in the kayak hold.

Quote:
Duluth seat covers in front, dog-proof ones in back.

Curious, would you be willing to post pics of your seat covers, and perhaps which version you bought?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for camping in an MV/Weekender Reply with quote

Good tips all.my ,93 is going to be a challenge to camp in after being spoiled by my ,76 westy poptop w all the toys! Its a weekender tin top w abig.bed n table n 2 jump seats. I have a 1 burner stove na small cooler n have so little space. Its in Puerto Rico n the problem is cooling n bugs. Locals put a portable AC in a front window. We`ll see what happens Bill PR n VT
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for camping in an MV/Weekender Reply with quote

Good tips all.my ,93 is going to be a challenge to camp in after being spoiled by my ,76 westy poptop w all the toys! Its a weekender tin top w abig.bed n table n 2 jump seats. I have a 1 burner stove na small cooler n have so little space. Its in Puerto Rico n the problem is cooling n bugs. Locals put a portable AC in a front window. We`ll see what happens Bill PR n VT
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for camping in an MV/Weekender Reply with quote

We are on a road trip right now and we use the klymit inflatables up top and below (wider ones for below). They make a HUGE difference, my back is super sensitive. I still have some discomfort but without them I get destroyed. I also bought an inflatable wedge pillow which improves conditions more, like I said, my back needs all the help it can get.

Sleeping downstairs is the same, the bench when laid out is so uneven and firm it Jill’s me. With a klymit topper it’s much better.

I deflate them and leave them up top but there’s no room for anything else.

I’m a huge fan of the klymit pads, for a great deal from klymit on eBay.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for camping in an MV/Weekender Reply with quote

Ive found one sleeping bag fits fine under the pop top, two will interfere with closing of the pop top, so you just have a few inches to play with up,there

Safe travels and pick us for driveway space in upstate NY
streamr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for camping in an MV/Weekender Reply with quote

I added a 2" memory foam pad to the downstairs bed, made all the difference. A bit of a hassle to roll up, but it stores ok behind the seat when up. I also picked up these Sterilite drawers years ago to see how they would work. I still have them so I guess they are working ok. They are 9.5" high so I can store extension cords and my roll up hose. They are 16" wide and 16" deep. Not huge, but I can fit the rear screen, the curtains, TP and PT, some rope, gloves, tools, etc. There is still enough room on the side of them to stick my tripods and other longer items I want to get at from the rear.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for camping in an MV/Weekender Reply with quote

An advantage of the klymit air pads for us is that they can be opened to deflate and left up top while the pads for downstairs quickly deflate and roll up to about half the size of a roll of paper towels. With 4 people and our gear for a 2 week road trip, this space savings is significant.
swsl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for camping in an MV/Weekender Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I need to find storage tubs that exactly fit under the weekender bed in height - to maximize binned storage space.

Magic height is 11.5 inches

We looked and looked and finally found these linked below to be perfect. They did have them last year in some Walmarts and HDepot.
Ziploc WeatherShield 60 Quart Storage Box:
https://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-WeatherShield-Quart-Storage-Clear/dp/B00MH5EYU8

Perfect height and width. They leave just enough room on one side for one of our two water jugs ( the other is kept forward on the floor)
Reliance Products Aqua-Pak 2.5 Gallon Rigid Water Container:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024O8JV2

and a small propane tank, which, I know, is not the correct way to store, but I'm satisfied that it is well protected and we can smell leaks (none).
Worthington 281149 1-Gallon Steel Propane Cylinder

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SKX63U/

Those are the four critical sized items we carry in back. It took a while to dial it in. We also fit a mini shovel (cat-holes, fire pits and problem solver ) and machete along the sides and then there is room behind the big bins for smaller items in bags (tools etc) that we don't access as often.

The bins are our clothes drawers. We removed the end latches (saved as spares) so that we can just pull out our own bin, balance it on the bumper, flip open two latches on one side and hinge the top open for quick access. Light and easy to just take out and carry into the house or laundrymat or put it wherever while camping.
We try (hard to always keep my wife with the program!) to keep our personal dirty clothes bags within in the same bin so that it's all in one place and the amount of space used is the same.

Our stove/food box up front takes disposable cannisters, which we use as well. The bigger tank comes out when stopped for multiple days.

Will try to get a picture of the custom box, maybe do a thread on our overall setup when I'm back where the van is garaged.

Last edited by swsl on Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
swsl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for camping in an MV/Weekender Reply with quote

mvaska wrote:
we swapped the bolted rear-facing seat with an engel DC cooler. which naturally meant we had to change the proprietary DC socket behind the drive seat to a normal cig lighter socket. bonus that the engel cooler is nearly the same height as the stock seat and can be used as a bench for eating at the table.

we also found hooks that attach to the headrest bars. and a really solid metal cup holder that is held in place by slipping into the front ashtray.

more involved upgrades:

1 - dual USB sockets lower on the center kick panel. wired to the aux.
2 - LED light replacement for florescent so aux battery doesn't go dead so quickly
3 - swivel base for passenger's side seat
4 - handle to open rear door from inside
5 - rubber flooring - thin enough to be nearly an exact fit w/trim -- sweeps clean
6 - custom pull-out kitchen w/gas stove for back

Yes! Basically did the same, except still need to get that rear inside door handle and do the LED light mod. I pulled both single seats so the kitchen box goes where the rear heater vent...was.

Upgraded our house system under the seat to handle our 12V chest fridge, which is the biggest change and well worth it for long term camping. It was a project! Probably why the LED mod got put off, just not as needed now.
see from post 16 on for some pics here: http://www.cavevan.com/forum/index.php?topic=114.msg3172#msg3172
rbpower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for camping in an MV/Weekender Reply with quote

Your items 1-5 are on my punch list too. Did you get around to them?
mvaska wrote:

1 - dual USB sockets lower on the center kick panel. wired to the aux.

2 - LED light replacement for florescent so aux battery doesn't go dead so quickly

3 - swivel base for passenger's side seat

4 - handle to open rear door from inside

5 - rubber flooring - thin enough to be nearly an exact fit w/trim -- sweeps clean

6 - custom pull-out kitchen w/gas stove for back
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: