Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Denver-area 2.1 mechanic needed - failed emissions
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DS1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Denver-area 2.1 mechanic needed - failed emissions Reply with quote

Hello all,
1990 2.1 Vanagon. Just failed emissions, mostly due to high CO. Previously passed Oregon emissions so not sure what's going on. Looking for a Denver area mechanic that's familiar with the 2.1 to give it a look see.
Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Darin
jamin307
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Denver Area 2.1 mechnic needed-emisions Reply with quote

Blazer Automotive off Broadway. They only work on VWs and Larry will give it to you straight.
DS1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Denver Area 2.1 mechnic needed-emisions Reply with quote

Email sent to Blazer. Thanks for the help!
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Denver Area 2.1 mechnic needed-emisions Reply with quote

I'd recommend Van Cafe/RMW.

Not as convenient to Denver but worth the drive, trustworthy service, and parts are not marked up. Nor do they throw parts at issues without diagnosing first.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroPedro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver Area 2.1 mechnic needed-emisions Reply with quote

DS1980 wrote:
Email sent to Blazer. Thanks for the help!

If you haven't heard from them by Monday, give them a call. They do great work, but email may not be the strong suit Very Happy
DS1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver Area 2.1 mechnic needed-emisions Reply with quote

Got an appointment Wednesday. They said they did a lot of Vanagons. Hopefully they have the magic touch. Thanks for the help!
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver Area 2.1 mechnic needed-emisions Reply with quote

Bring tons of money for stuff not needing fixing.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver Area 2.1 mechnic needed-emisions Reply with quote

Metric or imperial tons?
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver Area 2.1 mechnic needed-emisions Reply with quote

Both if wheelbarrow holds 'em. Wink

— Colin Chapman
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver Area 2.1 mechnic needed-emisions Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
Bring tons of money for stuff not needing fixing.

I thought you were kidding until I saw your other post. Funny how opinions vary. Blazer is above reproach in my book.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver Area 2.1 mechnic needed-emisions Reply with quote

Same thing I'd say if any vendors I've had great luck were baked by another customer. It happens, but makes no sense in our case as we really liked Larry and Jim.

You'd feel just the same if I felt like laying the story down.

— Colin Chapman
LachlanMcLean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver Area 2.1 mechnic needed-emisions Reply with quote

Another very happy Blazer customer right here. Very good service, more than fair prices. Maybe it’s because my wife is gorgeous and the guys noticed that she lives our camper? Laughing Either way, thumbs up for Blazer.
driverdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Denver Area 2.1 mechnic needed-emisions Reply with quote

I've used Blazer & RMW and would recommend both.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver-area 2.1 mechanic needed - failed emissions Reply with quote

Another vote for Blazer--whom I have reviewed and discussed at length. The only thing, admittedly, wrong with RMW is the 100 mile drive from Denver to their facilities. But I can't say enough good things about the Brothers Blazer.

Best!
DS1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver-area 2.1 mechanic needed - failed emissions Reply with quote

I found Larry to be knowledgeable and courteous. $45 for a diagnostic that found a worthless cat and O2 sensor.
Thanks again for the help!
diceman93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver-area 2.1 mechanic needed - failed emissions Reply with quote

Blazer seems to be out of business. Does anyone know if they still do work, or have a second best recommendation?
eugenev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver-area 2.1 mechanic needed - failed emissions Reply with quote

diceman93 wrote:
Blazer seems to be out of business. Does anyone know if they still do work, or have a second best recommendation?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=703534
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver-area 2.1 mechanic needed - failed emissions Reply with quote

diceman93 wrote:

Whatever you do,document what the fix is. Here's a couple of my experiences:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6816635&highlight=emissions#6816635
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7838530&highlight=emissions#7838530

Incremental fixes to an Audi Cab with one damaged cat. Putting on a new cat lowered every reading substantially.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8200881&highlight=emissions#8200881l

Anymore, if I'm only marginally failing and I feel everything else is is good shape, I throw a cheap $100 cat on and it seems to always work
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8826533&highlight=emissions#8826533
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Denver-area 2.1 mechanic needed - failed emissions Reply with quote

Check out https://arvadagermangarage.com, formerly known as Wright's German Motors.

With shops closing all over the place, it took me a minute to recall Mr. Wright's shop. He did a Helicoil oil plug fix for me on my first '85 GL many years back and was super accomodating. At the time he also had an '86 GL for sale.

I was by there about a year ago and saw the usual cluster of miscellaneous Porsches and VW's out front; reading the website, it looks like Wright sold the business in 2009 but the new owner retained the staff.

Worth a shot.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Denver-area 2.1 mechanic needed - failed emissions Reply with quote

Seconded, Wright's worked on our Jetta and did a great job.

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: