Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct tail lights 59 US Samba?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dolfie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Correct tail lights 59 US Samba? Reply with quote

Hello,

could anyone please help me identifying which would be the correct tail lights for this bus. It is a 59 deluxe microbus imported from USA. See here the bus in the picture attached!

According to the info I found in the internet, from 1957 rear central brake light and reflectors were discontinued to only use two rounded tail lights serving as indicators and brake lights. However, I found some examples from 59 with different configurations such as these ones:

http://www.silverliningautorestoration. ... s-og-paint

if anyone could help me and give me pointers with the correct tail lights this bus should really have,
much appreciated

Thanks,
Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by dolfie on Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:41 am; edited 1 time in total
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Correct tail lights 59 US Samba? Reply with quote

Hi there,

Wrong engine decklid for a 1959, Safari rear hatch window never existed back then either. Certain countries might have required the extra pair of yellow lens lights, but for delivery to most countries only a pair of round red taillight assemblies with brake/running/turn signal functions were provided.

Something tells me though that with this Bus you aren't going for the completely stock look...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Correct tail lights 59 US Samba? Reply with quote

a 59 would have the lower red tail lights . no center brake light. and the decklid with the brow.the extra yellow lights are an alternate euro version for foggy countries? do you have a m-plate? it will tell the story.
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Correct tail lights 59 US Samba? Reply with quote

It should have single red taillights and the decklid mentioned by the member above with the bump for a license light instead of a center brake light, like this:

If you are asking about specifics, check out these thread from the FAQ:
57-61 "dollar" taillight lenses - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=200834
'60 Taillight Template - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=104091

Australian Buses had the dual yellow & red taillights like your new Bus, are you sure it's from the USA?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dolfie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Correct tail lights 59 US Samba? Reply with quote

Thank you so much for all your kind help. Sorry Bill about the Hi Caps, did that unintentionally!

I guess the orange tail liths and the centre brake light were added afterwards.
I would like to put it back to original.

Thanks again to all.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct tail lights 59 US Samba? Reply with quote

No sweat "dolfie", no harm done. Have fun with that Bus!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct tail lights 59 US Samba? Reply with quote

How does the M-code plate read on the bus? That taillight setup is not something that people normally hack into a bus. Just because the bus was imported from the USA doesn't mean that it was built to USA specs originally.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct tail lights 59 US Samba? Reply with quote

Bumpers are also wrong if it is in fact a US spec.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct tail lights 59 US Samba? Reply with quote

What's that antenna looking thing on the red bus?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct tail lights 59 US Samba? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
What's that antenna looking thing on the red bus?

I think it's a broken off antenna
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dolfie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Correct tail lights 59 US Samba? Reply with quote

mplate reads the following:

M-Plate content
Model Type 2 (T1) mod. 241 :
- Microbus Deluxe
- 8 seater
- Cargo doors right
- Full middle seat
- LHD
Chassis number 479484
Serial number 24479484
Modelyear 1959
Planned production date June 12 ,1959
Paint color
Color upper part : L472 - Beige Grey
Color lower part : L53 - Sealing Wax Red
Interior color (doorpanels and seats) 77 - Blue Grey
Destination USA, Los Angeles

M-CODES

175 Ram protection (bumper with guards)

373 UNKNOWNS M-CODES
dolfie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Correct tail lights 59 US Samba? Reply with quote

code 373 does not give any results.

According to mplate, bumpers are wrong as well as it should have the US bumpers with over riders and towel rails...

but what most intrigues me are the two orange tail lights...why would anyone make that modification.

Thank you all for your kind advice and your time. It is great to have this awesome community.

Happy Easter to all!
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Correct tail lights 59 US Samba? Reply with quote

dolfie wrote:

but what most intrigues me are the two orange tail lights...why would anyone make that modification.
Happy Easter to all!

dolfie, US spec tail lights are really not legal in europe. They are also tiny.

In europe people expect blinkers to be amber colored. The setup you have is actually proper for several countries, for example australia had them like this.

adding a brake light engine lid gives you a 3rd brakelight, with the small tail lights people might not even notice that you are hitting the brakes since newer cars have HUGE LED taillights now.

that is probably why the mods were made, all seem reasonable and somewhat stockish, just not original to the car.

FYI. a german 59 bus would still have had sempahores..

I certainly prefer your setup over the later larger 62 and up tail lights.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct tail lights 59 US Samba? Reply with quote

Did this bus come from the west coast by any chance? I remember one in the 90s that looked just like yours with the dual tail lights but appeared to be a VIN swap. The body was earlier than the year stated (also a 59) and the original color of the roof was dark. It have matching vin/mcode but those are easily changed. Has the stamped vin in the rear been modified?
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct tail lights 59 US Samba? Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
The setup you have is actually proper for several countries, for example australia had them like this.
I believe Italy is another one.
dolfie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Correct tail lights 59 US Samba? Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
Did this bus come from the west coast by any chance? I remember one in the 90s that looked just like yours with the dual tail lights but appeared to be a VIN swap. The body was earlier than the year stated (also a 59) and the original color of the roof was dark. It have matching vin/mcode but those are easily changed. Has the stamped vin in the rear been modified?

Hello AlteWagen!
I am not very sure...this one does not have matching mplate but has the vin stamped right in the engine bay...I am attaching a picture. And also a picture of the bus when first imported to England in 2007.
Bus has birth certificate according to the vin and it all seems right to me. Picture attached!
You really scared me now! Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks bud!
Smile

dolfie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Correct tail lights 59 US Samba? Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
dolfie wrote:

Happy Easter to all!

dolfie, US spec tail lights are really not legal in europe. They are also tiny.

In europe people expect blinkers to be amber colored. The setup you have is actually proper for several countries, for example australia had them like this.

adding a brake light engine lid gives you a 3rd brakelight, with the small tail lights people might not even notice that you are hitting the brakes since newer cars have HUGE LED taillights now.

that is probably why the mods were made, all seem reasonable and somewhat stockish, just not original to the car.

FYI. a german 59 bus would still have had sempahores..

I certainly prefer your setup over the later larger 62 and up tail lights.

Hi Uli,

Thanks for your post. Actually the modifications were made in USA before it was imported to the UK. You are right though that the set up is more suitable for today´s roads.
I think that semaphores in the US were dropped in 1956 onward.

There are just a few things that don´t seem right with the bus like the tail lights and the bumpers...

Thanks again buddy,

Hugs
adriano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Correct tail lights 59 US Samba? Reply with quote

VIN position isn't correct for a June 1959. Normally is under the tank. Furthermore the last digit 4 is differentf from the first one.
Do you have the plate with the VIN printed under the tank?
Attached the 1959 May owner manual:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/may59bus/page8.jpg
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Correct tail lights 59 US Samba? Reply with quote

adriano wrote:
VIN position isn't correct for a June 1959.
Yes, it is. In May 1959 at VIN 469447, the VIN stamping was moved to the area beside the battery tray.
Ref: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/id.php

Isn't a Type 241 a 15w (not 23)?
Model Description
241 Cargo doors right, left hand drive, full middle seat
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/modelstype2.php
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Correct tail lights 59 US Samba? Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
adriano wrote:
VIN position isn't correct for a June 1959.
Yes, it is. In May 1959 at VIN 469447, the VIN stamping was moved to the area beside the battery tray.
Ref: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/id.php

Isn't a Type 241 a 15w (not 23)?
Model Description
241 Cargo doors right, left hand drive, full middle seat
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/modelstype2.php

Yes, the VIN location is normal for a late 59. It looks fine.

The deluxe model number does not say whether it came with a sunroof.
Deluxe buses normally came with a sunroof; but it was an option to delete the sunroof. An option that made the bus cheaper.

If it has M130 it is a tin top/ hardtop deluxe. It was optioned w/o the sunroof & skylights.
No M130 on a deluxe means it is a sunroof deluxe, since they did not delete the sunroof & skylights.

People have been hanging early engine lids on later buses for decades, to get a third brake light.

My M130 61 deluxe had the taillight hacked by a PO, it has the 62-71 taillights. I swapped in Euro taillights and changed the wiring so it has amber turn signals and a separate bulb for the brake and running lights. I've thought of doing the Aussie style two light thing. But if it gets fixed it'll probably go back to the dollar lights.
I mean, I can see the way they did your lights as an upgrade so others can see the bus better. And they did it in the style VW did it on some buses, even if not year correct, or the way that bus was ordered.
But your bus did not come new with a rear safari, either.
Was it one of the few that was actually factory fitted with front safaris?

I would change the bumpers before I changed the decklid. Red bumpers just don't look as good on a SWR/ BG bus. Get the overriders if you want it to be as sold, it looks better than the bare blades FWIW. IMO. Since you are looking for something to fix. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: