Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with hardwood floor install in Westfalia Syncro
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mreuter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Help with hardwood floor install in Westfalia Syncro Reply with quote

I have a question about installing hardwood floor in my Westy. I found allot in this forum but most of the install is with cabinetry installed. I removed all my cabinetry to install Lizardskin sound and heat control. I wonder if I can install the hardwood floor covering the whole area and install the cabinetry and rear seat on top of the floor or do I have to install everything and than only cover the small area with hardwood floor like it is done in all the installs I found on Samba? Any advise would be appreciated.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Help with hardwood floor install in Westfalia Syncro Reply with quote

I always do the whole floor with cabinets out. Much cleaner that way. Leave some small gap at the hidden edges.

Mark
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Help with hardwood floor install in Westfalia Syncro Reply with quote

Yes, removing everything IS the proper course of action.

Did you notice the OG vinyl floor and subfloor completely covered the entire metal floor?

There are cutouts in the proper locations for fasrener access.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mreuter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Help with hardwood floor install in Westfalia Syncro Reply with quote

@djkeev & crazyvwvanman

Thank you for your advise! Any pictures you could share or link to your post?

Did you have to cut anything on the cabinetry?
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Help with hardwood floor install in Westfalia Syncro Reply with quote

I was going for the "Hacienda" look- with tile floors and mexi water basin--looked good, but weighted in at about 100# just for the floor. But did set a Masonite floor for the entire interior and tiled round the the amenities.

In the end, It was just to much weight and mechanicals put the project on the back burner after getting into splits.

Sold it to explorers who took all the heavy stuff out and really did an excellent job on putting it back on the road.

[img]

[/img]

[img]

Guess my point is- you can get really carried away with what you dream and in the end it's just not sustainable. After seeing other Scoolie builds with tile n stuff litterly fall apart on corrugated roads.- I will next stick to the KISS principal.[/img]

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Help with hardwood floor install in Westfalia Syncro Reply with quote

I have a finished photo of the last one I did. It is easy, cheap, and looks good.

Mark

E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Help with hardwood floor install in Westfalia Syncro Reply with quote

William, I Love the Hacienda look!

And the ceiling, I've toyed with that very design (in my head) for our headliner...

Mark, sweet. Great upholstery, too. Cool

— Colin Chapman
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Help with hardwood floor install in Westfalia Syncro Reply with quote

You did not have a floor that you removed?

The original floor is about 1/2" thick.

Unless you are using 3/4" Tongue and Groove with a 3/4" plywood underlay, your floor depth using an engineered floor should not vary significantly.

Fill in the floor ribs with wood strips.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Help with hardwood floor install in Westfalia Syncro Reply with quote

Side note- once your floor is in - get a "floor stabilizer" clear coat and it will basically "glue" all the seams together and give it a tough shine.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
mreuter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Help with hardwood floor install in Westfalia Syncro Reply with quote

Wow, all this amazing work. I was going for the grey Allure Ultravinyl. 100% waterproof floor. I still have the original floorboards with the grey plastic on top. The floor will be higher so i was wondering if anyone had to cut the rear bench seat box on the bottom or was it not required at all? Th
mreuter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with hardwood floor install in Westfalia Syncro Reply with quote

Looks like my Westi subfloor is smaller. It ends right where the cabinetry is installed.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Help with hardwood floor install in Westfalia Syncro Reply with quote

I planed down strips of cedar for the ribs in the floor as an anchor. Holes where the exiting floor bolt held in the seat were left in place.
Then I screwed the strips in place and topped them with a piece of thin plywood. Finally plotted out the laminate and secure it with a piece of angled aluminum.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Help with hardwood floor install in Westfalia Syncro Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
I was going for the "Hacienda" look- with tile floors and mexi water basin--looked good, but weighted in at about 100# just for the floor

[img]

Wow!
Your reply got me excited, I too want tile in my van, and bummed because you confirmed my fear of weight and durability.

Your tile looks amazing though (or DID look amazing) want to come do my kitchen?

Wink

Owen

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
mreuter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Help with hardwood floor install in Westfalia Syncro Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
I planed down strips of cedar for the ribs in the floor as an anchor. Holes where the exiting floor bolt held in the seat were left in place.
Then I screwed the strips in place and topped them with a piece of thin plywood. Finally plotted out the laminate and secure it with a piece of angled aluminum.

Looks amazing. Did you screw down every cedar strip? Any worries about water getting in from underneath? Did you use a planner for the strips to size them?
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Help with hardwood floor install in Westfalia Syncro Reply with quote

When I put my laminate flooring in, I just kind of winged it and it's worked out great for over a year of pretty hard use. I filled each of the channels with reflective heat tape, then I glued down reflectix sheets, then I glued very thin plywood on top of that. Then, installed floor, trim, done. A true weekend job- actually a true single weekend day job, my favorite kind.

I guess what I'm trying to say is there way more than one way to skin this cat. I did it my way because my investment was whatever the reflectix roll cost because I already had everything else, including the floors that I helped a buddy remove from the house he had just bought.

Don't overthink it and have fun!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: