Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia side door threshold
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side threshold Reply with quote

THANK YOU Brandon!

I appreciate you.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side threshold Reply with quote

Brandon, what did all-up cost with shipping come to?

Please, hit me up with a PM when mine is ready to go.

Thanks again!

Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side threshold Reply with quote

Shipping a package to MT with length of 35" 10$.
Shipping same package to MT with length of 36" 30$.

That being said, your packages might not LOOK pretty on the outside, but I feel like they are packed well. I just had to trim 5" off a box to get it in the $10 shipping range.

Jeffrey, sorry! I'll hit you with a PM.
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side threshold Reply with quote

Brandon your the man.. already installed the part. I did run into a slight problem, the new skuff plate did not have the same curve as the 37 year old part. But not a problem, i used a heat gun set on low to warm the plastic... worked great. Posting a few pictures.

The new skuff plate

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Little heat

Before

After

E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side threshold Reply with quote

Michael, that looks bloody fabulous! I was hoping you'd post an updated shot. Cool

I want to paint the rail brown, was that an off-the-rack color?

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side threshold Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
Michael, that looks bloody fabulous! I was hoping you'd post an updated shot. Cool

I want to paint the rail brown, was that an off-the-rack color?

Thanks E... im pretty happy with it. Could not haved done it without Brandon doing all the leg work.

The paint.... lol see below.. it does not say what color, just Rust-Oleum Brown

I used this paint on my front table mount and to touch up the stove. Its a pretty good match.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side threshold Reply with quote

Michael,

Looks awesome. Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for posting. I might paint my metal piece that color. I bought some brown paint from GoWesty. How many coats did you do and any clear coat.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side threshold Reply with quote

Thanks Michael!

Sorry for question barrage, but is the paint getting hammered on the table leg by the mount?

I polished my legs (Ahem, the van's) and poptop frame, as they came stock galvanized and looked like hell -- but polished they're hard to keep nice.

Thinking of having all my metal bits painted or anodized in brown. I used to paint race cars and bikes as part of my work but that was in the 1880s and my gear is nowhere near here. I spray-bombed helmets and entire race cars in the '70s (seriously) so know my way around a can.

Back then there's no way I'd trust spray-can paint to have great durability for our vans but suspect it's much better now!

Thanks for all the info and inspiration. I'd ask about your flooring but don't wanna annoy the OP. Wink Very Happy Wink

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side threshold Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Michael,

Looks awesome. Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for posting. I might paint my metal piece that color. I bought some brown paint from GoWesty. How many coats did you do and any clear coat.

I did three coats, first was thin, waited for it to get tacky, then two mor coats
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side threshold Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
Thanks Michael!

Sorry for question barrage, but is the paint getting hammered on the table leg by the mount?

I polished my legs (Ahem, the van's) and poptop frame, as they came stock galvanized and looked like hell -- but polished they're hard to keep nice.

Thinking of having all my metal bits painted or anodized in brown. I used to paint race cars and bikes as part of my work but that was in the 1880s and my gear is nowhere near here. I spray-bombed helmets and entire race cars in the '70s (seriously) so know my way around a can.

Back then there's no way I'd trust spray-can paint to have great durability for our vans but suspect it's much better now!

Thanks for all the info and inspiration. I'd ask about your flooring but don't wanna annoy the OP. Wink Very Happy Wink

Hey E, it seems to be holding up. I am careful. I dont stack alot of stuff that might bump or scratch. I did paint one of my table mounts silver.. not it did not hold up very well.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side threshold Reply with quote

Van cafe sends cookies...so I decided to get weird it. Some of you guys might get plastic razor blades (great for removing decals), some 7 mil rubber gloves, and some various snacks. I'm sorry if you didn't get anything extra. It was a lot of work to pack these so I may have forgot to throw something in. Don't take it personally, happy Easter
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side threshold Reply with quote

I'm fine if you sent a ham.

— Colin Chapman
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side threshold Reply with quote

Ha. Great work and fun idea!
I got a 15# turkey in my package. And some little Debbie’s.
Thanks again.
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side threshold Reply with quote

WestfaliaMike wrote:
E1 wrote:
Thanks Michael!

Hey E, it seems to be holding up. I am careful. I dont stack alot of stuff that might bump or scratch. I did paint one of my table mounts silver.. not it did not hold up very well.

E missed your question about the floor. PM me if you want to know how I did it.
Below is a picture of the type and color of wood I used.

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side threshold Reply with quote

I think everyone is accounted for at this point. I hope everyone's sill arrived unharmed.

My new Mountain bike fork came in - and it was the perfect size box for the door sills.

Is anyone running into stripped screws? I literally broke the head off the two 'inner' screws off the metal strip. Now I'm stuck with the threads stuck in the wood. I could drill them out but would not have anything for the new screws to bite into unless they make some wood-paste putty I can fill the hole with.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side threshold Reply with quote

Been a bit worried about getting the old screws out meownself...

I'm probably gonna use a drill with a Phillips bit and add reverse torque slooooowly. Contemplating button-head Allens to replace the old screws.

— Colin Chapman
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side threshold Reply with quote

Brandon/Eric,
My screws came right out. They did not break, but were very thin. I used slightly larger stainless screws. They are holding very well.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side threshold Reply with quote

Mike your setup looks perfect IMO! I'm going to Home Depot after work to get stainless screws, paint, and some wood putty.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side threshold Reply with quote

Pretty sure you won't get quite the hardwood floor look like Mike's with wood putty… Wink Laughing Wink

Serially, I wondered if you could fill the holes with epoxy or fiberglass resin, drill, and tap.

Hope I don't have to find out the hard way!

Good Luck, and Thanks Again.

Cool

— Colin Chapman
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side door threshold Reply with quote

Drat, it looks as if I missed the sill. I'll hope to hear if another group buy goes through or any others are drifting about. The installations look stunning!

Best!

Last edited by msinabottle on Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: