Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia side door threshold
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side threshold Reply with quote

[quote="WestfaliaMike"][quote="WestfaliaMike"]
E1 wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Man, I sure do love the early faux-woodgrain cabinets.
Some people call him Maurice...
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side door threshold Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:
Drat, it looks as if I missed the sill. I'll hope to hear if another group buy goes through or any others are drifting about. The installations look stunning!

Best!

Im sure Brandon can give you the company contact info. Was not anhuge savings as a group buy. It was more finding someone that had the part.

Good luck!
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side door threshold Reply with quote

Well, it was going to be 66 Euro (82$ USD) for one shipped to USA through Bus.Ok vendor here on the Samba. So I was able to get most people out the door for $50.

I still have one or two left. I'll PM ya msinabottle.
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side door threshold Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Well, it was going to be 66 Euro (82$ USD) for one shipped to USA through Bus.Ok vendor here on the Samba. So I was able to get most people out the door for $50.

I still have one or two left. I'll PM ya msinabottle.

Love it when a plan comes together
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side door threshold Reply with quote

… 'specially when not trying...

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side door threshold Reply with quote

MANY thanks to you all. The thread title didn't mention that the part WAS available or the group buy--I thought it was just more wishful thoughts.

I love that brown paint on the securing bar. I'm thinking gypsum powder coat for mine. It's not like anyone's going to step on it...

Shocked

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side door threshold Reply with quote

All white ones have been accounted for. I have one or two black ones left. Also, thank you guys. I did this because I have enjoyed the Samba and wanted to give back in a way. I hope you enjoy your new door sill.
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side door threshold Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:
MANY thanks to you all. The thread title didn't mention that the part WAS available or the group buy--I thought it was just more wishful thoughts.

I love that brown paint on the securing bar. I'm thinking gypsum powder coat for mine. It's not like anyone's going to step on it...

Shocked

Best!

We will see how the paint holds up. Dont have a lot of traffic. Just the wife and I. I do like the idea of pouder coat! Didn’t think of that one.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side door threshold Reply with quote

Worried about any paint — especially in being full-time Yutzs.

Might sand and polish ours...

— Colin Chapman
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: The Threshold--Where I Step Reply with quote

Waal...

When Brandon told me he'd be sending the plastic threshold, I went and pulled Winston's aluminum locking piece, and took it to a large scale powder-coater, figuring they could just tuck it in with a larger batch... and, NO, they wouldn't.

Shocked

My old, good powder-coater is now a chef at a local country club...

Shocked

And so I hit Yelp and found a well-rated one who WOULD take the job, if I could wait two weeks, he seemed to be and has been nice, and while I was waiting...

Shocked

... I noticed that Nick, Winston's previous owner had had to glue a plastic strip of flashing on to the cruddy old plastic threshold's upper edge, for the vertical part to reach and to cover the gap between the old plastic threshold and the angled aluminum hold-down strip on top. Ecce:

It had always looked terrible, I realized, and he used LOTS of silicone sealant that will have to be laboriously removed. Oh, joy. The edge of the wood flooring HAS to be covered, too, since he ran speaker cables in the channel along the edge, and to reach down and hold the beautiful new plastic threshold in place. Thanks, yet again, for letting me in on that, Brandon.

The obvious thing to do would be what the 'Who's Got a Wood Floor' folks did and get a bigger piece of angle iron, one that will cover the edge, reach down to the upper lip of the plastic threshold, and have that powder-coated a dark brown. I found pictures of their installations, and that's what they did successfully.

So that's where I am. I will go and retrieve the old part, buy a new length of angle iron, drill that using the old part as a template--and back to the powder-coater's I go. I think I can and should use unfinished steel.

Shocked

Further bulletins as events warrant.

Best!
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Threshold--Where I Step Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:
When Brandon told me he'd be sending the plastic threshold, I went and pulled Winston's aluminum locking piece, and took it to a large scale powder-coater, figuring they could just tuck it in with a larger batch... and, NO, they wouldn't.

Further bulletins as events warrant.

Best!

Hey MS, figure anything out?
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side door threshold Reply with quote

I'm finally picking ours up from our mail carrier on Tuesday and it *better* be diamond-studded as Brandon promised...

— Colin Chapman
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side door threshold Reply with quote

I had to off-set my aluminum metal track. Two of my inner bolts head's snapped off.

Heat gun is for sure needed when installing. Sorry I never got around to posting photos. I just finished a full overhaul on the suspension on my van. Watch out for a thread about it.

I have two black ones pending currently - otherwise all side thresholds have been accounted for at this point.

E1, your package may or may not contain food items that are no longer good/safe to eat. I literally threw random stuff in boxes just for fun.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side door threshold Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
E1, your package may or may not contain food items that are no longer good/safe to eat. I literally threw random stuff in boxes just for fun.

Clearly a diversionary tactic. I was talking about diamonds. Laughing

— Colin Chapman
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side door threshold Reply with quote

It would be cool if everyone posted a picture of the finished product! Very Happy
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side door threshold Reply with quote

Quote:

and...
Quote:

It would be cool if everyone posted a picture of the finished product!

Funny that you'd mention that...

Shocked

I ate the frosted sponge cake thoughtfully enclosed with the new threshold last Tuesday. I'm saving the PBJ crackers for this Saturday.

As always, it was fun. The complicating factor was Winston's Pergo floor, which added a half inch to the equation. When Nick, the previous owner, had installed the Pergo, he had strung speaker wires along the edge, and glued WITH LOTS OF SILICONE SEALANT a plastic strip on the old threshold so that the original transition strip could reach it. Ecce:

I found a weird little razor-blade draw-knife that made unexpectedly short work of the silicone. Score!

Fortunately, I called the Powder Coater in time for him to NOT powder coat the original transition strip and to instead coat 43" of 1.5 x 1.5" angle aluminum, pre-cut, pre-angle ground, and pre-drilled. Badly. Here's my powder coater, who will do small lots of weird things, when he can, you trade time for good work on stuff other people will refuse to coat:

http://pristinepc.com/index.htm

He did good work, sandblasted, and charged me $45, which third parties said was reasonable. All was not, however, well. When I belatedly did a dry-fit, I found out that the rubber top lip of the new, wonderful threshold made the transition strip stick up, not flush. It was fine WITHOUT the threshold, but that was not an option after so much time and effort on not just my part.

Had I done the dry fit, I could have taken the transition strip to a shop and had it notched out BEFORE powdercoating. As it was, I got out the angle grinder, put on a cutting disk, and clamped on a piece of scrap wood. Notch, notch, notch... then gut. Er, cut. I did a ghastly job, but...

you can't see HOW ghastly from a normal viewing position. Thank God I went with aluminum to save weight, it won't rust and was easier to work with.

Stainless steel half-inch screws, carefully-drilled pilot holes, and little stainless steel escutcheons to emulate the stock transition strip... VERY careful tightening all along the six screws.

Shocked

Success. The improvement is vast. Particular thanks to shagginwagon83, and all of you in on the original group buy. Thanks to you all for letting Winston and me in.

Best!
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side door threshold Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:
Quote:

and...
Quote:

It would be cool if everyone posted a picture of the finished product!

Funny that you'd mention that...

Shocked

I ate the frosted sponge cake thoughtfully enclosed with the new threshold last Tuesday. I'm saving the PBJ crackers for this Saturday.

As always, it was fun. The complicating factor was Winston's Pergo floor, which added a half inch to the equation. When Nick, the previous owner, had installed the Pergo, he had strung speaker wires along the edge, and glued WITH LOTS OF SILICONE SEALANT a plastic strip on the old threshold so that the original transition strip could reach it. Ecce:

I found a weird little razor-blade draw-knife that made unexpectedly short work of the silicone. Score!

Fortunately, I called the Powder Coater in time for him to NOT powder coat the original transition strip and to instead coat 43" of 1.5 x 1.5" angle aluminum, pre-cut, pre-angle ground, and pre-drilled. Badly. Here's my powder coater, who will do small lots of weird things, when he can, you trade time for good work on stuff other people will refuse to coat:

http://pristinepc.com/index.htm

He did good work, sandblasted, and charged me $45, which third parties said was reasonable. All was not, however, well. When I belatedly did a dry-fit, I found out that the rubber top lip of the new, wonderful threshold made the transition strip stick up, not flush. It was fine WITHOUT the threshold, but that was not an option after so much time and effort on not just my part.

Had I done the dry fit, I could have taken the transition strip to a shop and had it notched out BEFORE powdercoating. As it was, I got out the angle grinder, put on a cutting disk, and clamped on a piece of scrap wood. Notch, notch, notch... then gut. Er, cut. I did a ghastly job, but...

you can't see HOW ghastly from a normal viewing position. Thank God I went with aluminum to save weight, it won't rust and was easier to work with.

Stainless steel half-inch screws, carefully-drilled pilot holes, and little stainless steel escutcheons to emulate the stock transition strip... VERY careful tightening all along the six screws.

Shocked

Success. The improvement is vast. Particular thanks to shagginwagon83, and all of you in on the original group buy. Thanks to you all for letting Winston and me in.

Best!

Pure perfection. What a great job!!! This has been a great thread!
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side door threshold Reply with quote

Ms, looks great!,
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side door threshold Reply with quote

We finally got our mail Brandon, the part is great and we really appreciate all your efforts! Cool Cool Cool

— Colin Chapman
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia side door threshold Reply with quote

FYI BusLab now has these in stock - and other bus.ok parts.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: