Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Correct order but the seal is in backward.

It's hard to tell but I don't think it is in backwards.

In any event, the open side needs to face the transmission.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
BarryL wrote:
Correct order but the seal is in backward.

It's hard to tell but I don't think it is in backwards.

In any event, the open side needs to face the transmission.

Ok, yes, the top picture it is in correct but the next photo the ripped part is laying upside down.
mllks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

I've been trying to follow the big nut / small nut / large o-ring conversation but I didn't quite get it. I have my 62 split bus with reduction gear boxes with small nut axle (36mm). I'm going to install a new seal kit for my right rear hub. Do I need to add the large o-ring to it or not? Is it really only for bugs?
Here's a photo of my rgb if it makes answering easier. Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

No big O-ring. See page 3 for exploded diagram image.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zozo wrote:
It's NOT a typo. 250 and then some as needed to get the cotter pin hole exposed through the castellations. Do not loosen to line up the cotter pin hole.

Torque it correctly and then check for movement.

What is the correct torque for the 46mm rear hub nut? I'm finding a range from 216 to 250 ft lb, then tighten until the cotter pin hole is clear. These pages in the Without Guesswork book on OACDP says 217 for the axle nut...

I fitted new drums yesterday. The previous time that I had the drum off, I set the torque to the lower end of that torque range at around 220 foot pounds, but have had a slight weep since that I think is coming from the drain hole (I added some UV oil dye yesterday to trace it).

Could that weep be due to my setting the torque at the lower end of the range?

I haven't put the cotter pin in yet, so I have the opportunity to tighten further, but where did the 250 ft lb specification come from? It differs to the Without Guesswork torque spec.

Edit - reading further in to Without Guesswork, it says 230-253ft lb from chassis 218000001 (the VIN list says this is August 1967 - is that split or bay?)..

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

August 67 is the start of baywindow production.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:

No, something else is wrong. The o-ring on the axle seals at a relatively low torque and the spacer seals against the cover seal lip. The only way out is past the two gaskets or one of the items I mentioned.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:

No, something else is wrong. The o-ring on the axle seals at a relatively low torque and the spacer seals against the cover seal lip. The only way out is past the two gaskets or one of the items I mentioned.

Thanks. I'll double check with the UV dye that it's definitely weeping from the hole. If it is, I'll re-do that side. I have some spare seal kits but was hoping to avoid getting covered in transmission oil and axle grease again. Rolling Eyes

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

Let's have a look at the bearing cap you are using, and a closer look at the junction of the bearing where it meets the outer RGB box.

I wonder if you have a mis-matched cap and RGB cover.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

These are from a couple of years ago. Had a leak inside the drum on that side when I got the truck, so I changed the seal. I had to do the seal again after the gearbox went off for rebuilding last spring. The leak appeared then. It barely drips, but oil collects on the very bottom of the RGB just above the brake line and hangs there until I wipe it off.

(I think the carrier is upside down in that photo, I was just taking a picture to show the 'tophat' spacer.)

It's an H-coded box.

RGB codes...

ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
swiss_bulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

I‘m just rebuilding my rear axles and I‘m not sure, if this spacer needs to be replaced. Do you think that it is still usable?

chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

That groove in the spacer is where it wears. You can try polishing it out, but I would replace it
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
That groove in the spacer is where it wears. You can try polishing it out, but I would replace it

Agreed, though you might need to have it plated and polished. Finding good used ones is just going to get harder and harder....
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

Wolfsburgwest sells them.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211501303

I have 2 on my truck now, no problemo
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

I put a few of the WW ones one also. I didn't like the plating/anodizing that comes on them as the seal generally needs a super smooth surface to run on. I chucked them up and polished it off with 1000 grit, you could probably figure out a way to do this with a hand drill if you don't have a lathe.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

Yes I polished my WW ones also. Cotton wheel and some rouge. Came out like glass
swiss_bulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

Thank you! I just ordered the WW ones. I tried to polish mine first, but they are lightly pitted in the center. The WW spacers will be polished too as I thought, they’re looking somehow wrong on the product page Smile.
swiss_bulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

The WW one has another profile on the inside and this probably means that the rubber sealing ring isn‘t fixed as good as in the original profile. I was lucky to find NOS spacers Very Happy.

I think the guy still has a set or two, if you ask him:
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/vw-t1-...0-223-1522
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO: Install rear axle seal kit Reply with quote

Can you show the two profiles side-by-side. Nice score btw. Best peace of mind is knowing the seal is not going to leak for a long time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 13

Jump to: