Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:
Read the thread in full for a better view of the situation.

I've been following it from the beginning.

Quote:
And by the way, you do know who just bypassed Bill Gates as richest man in the world?

No, who?
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

Jeff Bezos, Amazon founder.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

That does indeed figure.
Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

In 1980, I lived and worked in Germany for a few years. I had the opportunity to meet Chris Barber and we became friends.
When I would visit Chris, he would tell me about the contacts he had with the Porsche information archives, showed me
many rare photos as well. Chris would mention about someday writing an historical Volkswagen book. Well, some 20 years
later he did just that. Here is a postcard I received from Chris and I use it as a book marker in the Birth of the Beetle book
he sent to me. I still have contact with Chris and will e-mail him this thread. Maybe Chris would consider some of the
suggestions mentioned.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.VintageVolkswagenModels.com

Collector of Vintage VW Toys

BoB's Restor-Version Shop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

Please tell Chris Barber that we are many that treasure this book and respect his seminal work! Time for a reprint!

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

Yes, please add my voice to that of others. His book is hands down the best one in my VW library. If it was never updated it would still be the best one out there, in my opinion.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

Same here and thanks for posting Bob. Great story! BTW didn't anybody question the swastika stamp when you received that postcard... Confused
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

That swastika stamp appears to be part of the architectural drawing for the town of Wolfsburg that makes up the image on the back of the postcard.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
jkbeetle19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

Has anyone found any reasonable copies lately? I would love to get one, but as a young guy most of the people scoff at the money I have to offer. I would like to try and find one and learn more as I have heard great things on how informative the book is...
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

Hmmm, ix-nay on Amazon... lowest listed price is $1811!
More like $700 elsewhere.
Or you could drive a bit and check it out from a library...

https://vbpl.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/default/search/results?qu=birth+of+the+beetle&te=

Last edited by KTPhil on Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

I have a pristine copy. $1000 Phil.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

Thanks, but jkbeetle19 is looking, not me.
jkbeetle19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

Thanks splitdog but thats is still way up there...
favguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

You could buy the german version, still available at normal price Smile

https://www.buecher.de/shop/porsche/der-kaefer/bar.../12751178/

Just read it with a tablet translation app. that you just hold over sections of text and it auto translates to english...
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

This is my personal copy I bought years ago for the "recommended price". Not a week goes by without checking something in this book. A bit of wear and tear is OK. You could say it has patina!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jkbeetle19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

I appreciate someone who using the material they have, thats great! Im glad to say I finally got a copy today for free out of shear luck!
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

I have a copy on the shelf which I had from Chris Barber @ Bad Camberg 2003 and he was kind enough to sign it for me.

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
july76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

I have several copies of this book on german and english on stock
that I got from clearance. It's a shame what the speculation on second
hand world can bring. To over this situation I'm willing to sell all my
volumes except one of each language at a reasonable price. Private
Simon3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

July 76, message replied too and payment sent for English copy.
Looking forward to receiving the book.
Thanks Simon
kdf38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber Reply with quote

I'll buy one copy English if still available. That way I will be sure to find the lost copy I already have!

Mike
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: