Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy Fire Extinguisher
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Fire Extinguisher Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
I read the article and noticed my pic was used as an example for stowing the extinguisher under the rear bench seat. He got it off the samba. Funny to see it....

© Fraud!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Has anyone found a great way to mount an extinguisher (we carry a small and a large) between the front seats?

(I've also wondered about them being mounted out of heads' way, above and rearward of the front seats)

I'd love to put that weight towards the rear but too hard to get to… fast!

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Fire Extinguisher Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
dobryan wrote:
I read the article and noticed my pic was used as an example for stowing the extinguisher under the rear bench seat. He got it off the samba. Funny to see it....

© Fraud!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Has anyone found a great way to mount an extinguisher (we carry a small and a large) between the front seats?

(I've also wondered about them being mounted out of heads' way, above and rearward of the front seats)

I'd love to put that weight towards the rear but too hard to get to… fast!

I would never mount one above even the seat level. Do you want to risk the lives of you and your passengers on how well it is mounted? A crushed skull could easily be the result. Shocked To me it is really important to not make it part of a blender in an accident hence my under the seat mount box. I'll sacrifice the 5 to 10 seconds it will take me to get to it.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Fire Extinguisher Reply with quote

Understood, I'd use a racing extinguisher or custom-fabbed mount that'd take a 200 mph shock without incident. Bus ain't that fast, even if plowing off Toroweap. Wink

What I envision is the front edge of the extinguishers being at least an inch behind the front edge of the pop top cutout, with the extinguisher tops being barely below the closed pop top — nowhere close to a passenger's head.

I'm not wild about any Center-of-Gravity rise but would make other allotments to minimize that. But I'm also not wild having to open the sliding door to retrieve an extinguisher, nor in losing a single second to grab it. I've seen an enormous amount of racing fires, and every second is critical.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Fire Extinguisher Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
The stock straps are usually there to keep an extinguisher from falling off the wall, not secure in an accident. (I hope that is a sturdy black metal strap firmly bolted to the wall, not two little screws).

Good point. I'll check. Thanks.
mtnride1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Fire Extinguisher Reply with quote

I have a blazecut in my engine compartment and I carry a small clean agent extinguisher in the cabinet behind the drivers seat. This extinguisher though a little pricey leaves no residue at all and can put out a lot of fire. The powder extinguishers are awful on electrical components and leave quite a mess.
MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Fire Extinguisher Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Do you want to risk the lives of you and your passengers on how well it is mounted? A crushed skull could easily be the result.

DoBryan has a good point there. I recall, many years ago, a newspaper article about a fatal accident with a Jeep rolling downhill. The driver was killed, not by the rolling Jeep but by the loose bowling ball in the back seat.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Fire Extinguisher Reply with quote

Jeffrey Lee wrote:
As far as I'm aware, all Westfalia Campers equipped with stoves also were fitted with fire extinguishers...

My 84 did and, unlike the text of the manual, is a Halon unit. Still in the green 34 years later so, given the nature of Halon, presumably still functional.

Not the only extinguisher on board - I also have a newish chemical one in case the French fry grease catches fire.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Fire Extinguisher Reply with quote

MootPoint wrote:
dobryan wrote:
Do you want to risk the lives of you and your passengers on how well it is mounted? A crushed skull could easily be the result.

DoBryan has a good point there. I recall, many years ago, a newspaper article about a fatal accident with a Jeep rolling downhill. The driver was killed, not by the rolling Jeep but by the loose bowling ball in the back seat.

Fair point, but a race-mounted extinguisher is not a loose bowling ball. Laughing

— Colin Chapman
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Fire Extinguisher Reply with quote

I would like to put my Halotron mounted on the drivers door so that it would fit between the seat and the door. My thinking is that it is right there at hand when I open the door.
However, I have yet to find a suitable mounting bracket for it that I know is going to hold it in place if I did have a accident.

As far as the Blazecut goes I do have one mounted under the engine hatch as many others do.
I now am of the opinion that it is great for the air-cooled engine with a sealed engine compartment, but for the wbx engines I do not think it will put out a fire.

The reason being that the Blazecut inside the sealed compartment is going to release and stay inside the engine compartment.
On the open wbx engine compartment I think it is going to blow right out the bottom along the sides of the cylinder heads. It will maybe slow the fire down a bit, but I do not think it will extinguish it.
I've got no proof of this. I have not had a fire to test this theory and do not want to test it.
Your best line of defense is to keep your fuel lines and electrical system in the best condition it can be in.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Fire Extinguisher Reply with quote

I have lost a westy to an engine fire. 10 seconds was not the issue. It was well on fire when I pulled over. The issue was too small an extinguisher and no way at that time to kill the battery which was providing sparking wires in the engine
compartment reigniting the fire.

I now have a battery cutoff switch at the drivers seat and a big ass extinguisher (80ABC) under the rear seat. YMMV.

The Western Syncro build
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Fire Extinguisher Reply with quote

What is the consensus on tossing a fire blanket ontop and the. Spraying everything else That is still on fire? Those welding blankets are made from the same material for turbo blankets. Seems fast to deploy and buy you enough time to grab and deploy a extinguisher.
Nuthin2It Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Fire Extinguisher Reply with quote

Last week we woke up at the first campground of a 10-day trip and started to make breakfast. My wife tried to light the burner, but I hadn't opened the tank valve yet. She wanted to know exactly where the valve is, so we went outside and I showed her where to open it. When we got back in I smelled gas. I said she must have left the burner valve open. She said she hadn't. I checked each valve and sure enough both were closed. While this was sinking in, my wife opened a valve and clicked the lighter. There was a big Whoosh! and the van was engulfed in flames, then went out. A roll of paper towels on the table was on fire. I grabbed it, threw it outside, then jumped out and stomped the fire out. My wife screamed “It's on FIRE!” I turned to see flames shooting out from behind the stove. I went for the fire extinguisher, and, after what seemed like forever, figured out how to get it off the bracket. I discharged it behind the stove and put out the flames. I couldn't figure out what had happened. I started to assess the damage. For some reason, I opened the refrigerator door. Another Whoosh! and the van was engulfed in flames again, then they were gone. There were no flames behind the stove this time, but I discharged the fire extinguisher under the refrigerator. My wife jumped out of the van and said she was going to turn off the gas. Oh, yeah. Good idea!

After calming down, I looked around the van. The curtains, curtain retaining cord, and window screen above the stove were melted. The stove cover had clumps of melted plastic (the curtains) on it. The cover over a LED light above the stove was melted. The pop-top roof vent was blown off the skylight flex arm and flipped over. The metal strip above the sliding door that holds down the tent was pulled up, ripping some screws out of their hole and tearing the heads off of others. Other than a singed eyebrow and slight redness on the side of my hand, we were unhurt.

I realized the gas had to come from behind the stove. A few weeks before I pulled the refrigerator to replace the fan. I somehow forgot to reattach the gas line. I have a small computer fan inside the refrigerator to circulate the air inside. As soon as I opened the door, it must have reignited the gas.

At my age, every brain fart raises the fear of Alzheimer's. This one was scary. I already automatically get my camera whenever I do something on the van. I'll have to document more. Or retire from Vanagon maintenance altogether.

Years ago, when the bracket broke on my van's original fire extinguisher, I just put the extinguisher in the small cabinet next to the refrigerator, where it slowly worked it's way beneath everything else in there. Only after reading this thread did I go ahead and buy a new one and mount it where the original was located, inside the sliding door. If I hadn't done that, the delay in digging my fire extinguisher out of the cabinet could have made this a lot worse. Time to donate to TheSamba.com again.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Nuthin2It on Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Fire Extinguisher Reply with quote

Yikes! Blowing the canvas off is impressive...and scary.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Fire Extinguisher Reply with quote

Ugh! Scary, thank goodness you got that under control. My biggest fear, esp with all the electrical mods I have done over the years. Dobryan, can you elaborate on your batt shut off switch? I want to install something that is within my reach if the event ever occurs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nuthin2It Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Fire Extinguisher Reply with quote

Comment deleted

Last edited by Nuthin2It on Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Fire Extinguisher Reply with quote

When you smell gas, turn off the gas! I once had to shut off a flaming Silane 300 cu ft cylinder. Regulator ruptured, and silane is pyrophoric, so the only way to stop the flames, and prevent the cylinder fitting from melting and causing a big kaboom is to shut off the cylinder. Singed my hand, but saved the gas cylinder room, which was loaded with a lot more dangerous stuff than silane. 13 fire trucks arrived and near 1000 people evacuated from the building, I had only been on the job several months. They told me I probably should have ran away, but thanked me for saving the building.

Glad no one was harmed in the van, smart wife to suggest shut off the gas!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Fire Extinguisher Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
Ugh! Scary, thank goodness you got that under control. My biggest fear, esp with all the electrical mods I have done over the years. Dobryan, can you elaborate on your batt shut off switch? I want to install something that is within my reach if the event ever occurs

Here you go.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=553057&highlight=

Also glad that propane fire
got put out in time. Shocked

The Western Syncro build
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Fire Extinguisher Reply with quote

"She said she hadn't. I checked each valve and sure enough both were closed. While this was sinking in, my wife opened a valve and clicked the lighter. "

Exclamation
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Fire Extinguisher Reply with quote

Figured it was time to replace my original Westy fire extinguisher. It expired in 1986, so I don’t think it will put out any more fires. Went with the H3R Halguard HG250. Halotron is pricey, but I’ve heard all the horror stories about dry chemical corrosion and impossible cleanup.

The bracket holes nearly align with the original, but the mount was too low for the taller canister. I had to drill two new holes but am happy with the fit. Just hope I never have to test it!

'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L

Last edited by Vanuber on Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Fire Extinguisher Reply with quote

Keep that old fire extinguisher as a “Back up” in the house. I had an old extinguisher from the 70s that the PO had in my bus. Some dude set a fire near my fence one night. I grabbed my new extinguisher and the old bus one from the basement. The old one put out the fire. If it was a fire in my house or bus. The new one would’ve been used first. I was amazed a 40 year old extinguisher worked like a champ. But yes. Invest in good extinguishers. Like insurance Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: