Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Vehicles Coming out, whats hot, whats not?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New Vehicles Coming out, whats hot, whats not? Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
I saw jaguar set a guinness record for "distance barrel rolling a new vehicle".Think it was 50 feet.

My little brother topped that one, should have submitted it...but he was lucky enough to survive the first time, hate to have him repeat it. Lost control and rolled my moms then 2 day old 2004 Salleen Focus both barrel and at least 3 times end over end...210 ft from where the car first contacted the “pavement” to where it came to rest. Only survived because the seat back broke and collapsed into the back seat as the roof collapsed in. They estimated him at 120+ mph on the peagraveled backroad. It honestly looked more like a crushed bud lite can than a car. It was so bad the first responders had a medflight inbound before they were even on scene...they cut the roof off and he walked away. One of the tires was found 1/4 mile down the road and the rear view mirror was 50 yards from the road in my parents woods, found it a few weeks later.
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New Vehicles Coming out, whats hot, whats not? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
slave1pilot wrote:
https://20somethingfinance.com/manual-transmission-savings/

Yeah it's not about that though, it's about the feel of a manual shift and actual clutch pedal that even a shiftable automatic (console or paddle) doesn't give--especially on a performance vehicle. .

I bought a G35 recently. I had to buy a sedan for headroom and ended up with a really low-mileage automatic. I drove it and liked it. I now love it. I love shifting too, but I know this thing is faster with the automatic. We have a loop around a long-gone lake out here, that I like to take it on. I love the sequential shift...coming into a corner, getting a little sideways after the apex and then hitting the shifter through the rest of the gears is as smooth as silk. It would be a lot more work and a lot jerkier with a manual. Don't get me wrong, I've always driven a stick. I had a Chevy pickup years ago that was an auto and I hated it, as one should, but the G35 (like the Stinger, I'm sure) is a completely different animal.
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New Vehicles Coming out, whats hot, whats not? Reply with quote

chickengeorge wrote:
sb001 wrote:
slave1pilot wrote:
https://20somethingfinance.com/manual-transmission-savings/

Yeah it's not about that though, it's about the feel of a manual shift and actual clutch pedal that even a shiftable automatic (console or paddle) doesn't give--especially on a performance vehicle. .

I bought a G35 recently. I had to buy a sedan for headroom and ended up with a really low-mileage automatic. I drove it and liked it. I now love it. I love shifting too, but I know this thing is faster with the automatic. We have a loop around a long-gone lake out here, that I like to take it on. I love the sequential shift...coming into a corner, getting a little sideways after the apex and then hitting the shifter through the rest of the gears is as smooth as silk. It would be a lot more work and a lot jerkier with a manual. Don't get me wrong, I've always driven a stick. I had a Chevy pickup years ago that was an auto and I hated it, as one should, but the G35 (like the Stinger, I'm sure) is a completely different animal.

Nissan actually did a side-by-side test with the 3.5 Altima in 2009/10 can’t remember when they launched the CVT trans. Ran la gunna with a 5 speed and the sequential with the same le Mann’s series driver. The sequential averaged 2+ seconds faster per lap. Side note, my old 406 powered 86 Trans Am with a ratchet shift T700-r4 used to eat my buddies 454 Camino with a 4 speed...but then I was putting 400 to the wheels.
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New Vehicles Coming out, whats hot, whats not? Reply with quote

chickengeorge wrote:
I had to buy a sedan for headroom

First thing to pop into my mind when I saw that sentence:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: New Vehicles Coming out, whats hot, whats not? Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
chickengeorge wrote:
I had to buy a sedan for headroom

First thing to pop into my mind when I saw that sentence:

LOL.

I should have said "leg room".
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New Vehicles Coming out, whats hot, whats not? Reply with quote

Anyone still make a work truck ? Vinyl seats,rubber floor mats, am/fm radio,
No heated seats , back up cameras etc 4 wd standard tranny. ?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New Vehicles Coming out, whats hot, whats not? Reply with quote

The Sherp.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopnik.com/the-russ...030433/amp

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New Vehicles Coming out, whats hot, whats not? Reply with quote

Only bested by the Ripsaw EV2

Link

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
CarreraRS2.7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: New Vehicles Coming out, whats hot, whats not? Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:

Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon are still available as a stripped down work truck. I think that's about the only one.

Gigi: Saturn Yellow 1974 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

El Barto: Rosso 2017 Fiat 500 Abarth
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: New Vehicles Coming out, whats hot, whats not? Reply with quote

LucKaS wrote:
The manual Fiesta has 1 less gear than the auto and only gets 2 less mpg, to me that’s not a large enough disparity to throw in the towel on driving a manual.

First, this is just an anecdotal example, but here:

In the last 6 years I have had 2 examples of the exact same car, one with a 5AT and the the other with a 5MT.

In the 5AT, I got a high of 42.3 mpg on an all highway trip with little to no slowing down. In the 5MT I have not been able to top 34 mpg under similar circumstances.

However, in city driving, the 5AT averaged 24+ mpg while the 5MT averages almost 29 mpg.

To me it's a fair trade-off.

But, as some here have said, the fun-factor, the connected-to-the-car feeling of an MT makes it irreplaceable in my daily driving. Unfortunately, most of the world doesn't think this way, which is why MTs are becoming fewer and fewer each year. People just don't want to be 'bothered.'
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: New Vehicles Coming out, whats hot, whats not? Reply with quote

Very common around here for the hood rats to jump back out of stick shift cars, can't steal it if you can't drive it.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New Vehicles Coming out, whats hot, whats not? Reply with quote

Can't wait for the new Tesla Roadster. I hear it's out of this world.

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New Vehicles Coming out, whats hot, whats not? Reply with quote

Looking at that picture, I can't help but wonder if there is a pack containing a green orb sitting in the passenger seat.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New Vehicles Coming out, whats hot, whats not? Reply with quote

Gotta get me some plutonium nyborg man
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: New Vehicles Coming out, whats hot, whats not? Reply with quote

700,000 electric vehicles built in China during 2017!! Telsa is getting lapped overseas
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: New Vehicles Coming out, whats hot, whats not? Reply with quote

In deciding what’s hot and what’s not why limit to new models? Can something be hot with a single opinion or does it require a majority? A single vote for hot vs a single vote for not hot, which is correct? I’m confused. Thanks
NachoCar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: New Vehicles Coming out, whats hot, whats not? Reply with quote

not that it is BRAND spanking new.......but the Lotus Evora 400 has captured my heart. Actually, the first gen would be about all I could ever hope to afford and I prefer it's interior.

The styling of the 400 is in my opinion hard to beat unless you get into Lambo territory.
greggl4321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New Vehicles Coming out, whats hot, whats not? Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:

they seem too but they are all very big trucks, not like the early Toyota truck, not sure if that's bad but thinking the lengthier the stance the better. Better COG. also less weight?

they should build a vehicle on a solid frame, that uses A arms (double wishbone suspension (right?)) that has a really reliable engine design that is simple, cheap to work on/easy to work and durable. They should also build vehicles with a lot of suspension travel. It seems like companies could make an ultimate vehicle, consisting of modular components, that are easily accessible and replaceable etc They should make the vehicle balanced well.
Why cant they make something like this instead of more of the same?

also, do they have any vehicles resembling tuggies in characteristics or performance?
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: New Vehicles Coming out, whats hot, whats not? Reply with quote

J.D. Power just released the Initial Quality Study results yesterday
we took the top 3

eventually we will shake the perception that our cars are shit.

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: