Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

914 won’t start looking for mechanic
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coolaired4evr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: 914 won’t start looking for mechanic Reply with quote

Hello guys . If any of you know someone in the Houston area with air cooled fuel injection experience that would like to help me fix my 914 no start issue pls let me know. I am willing to pay labor and transport fees . I have a shop so tools and such aren’t a problem . I just don’t have enough experience and time on these to repair. Let me know . Thanks for reading
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: 914 won’t start looking for mechanic Reply with quote

Its getting hard to get the old FI parts. Have you checked the fuel pump output. It is high pressure (35psi) so could easily be the issue. Also try www.914World.com

Many just give up and convert to dual carbs. Dells and Webers are still available.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=6661ac4b39bd6baadf122ef71776d938&showtopic=326501
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 won’t start looking for mechanic Reply with quote

If I still lived in Dallas...I would come down and fix it for you. At one time I ended up with a factory cert in D, K and L injection.

It will be far easier to fix it yourself. Tell us what you have, what you have checked and what its doing.

We can help you fix it here most likely.

There are only 23 wires, five sensors and a few other main components that do not fall into the sensor category...fuel pump, trigger points, injectors etc.

Yes..fuel pressure...and fuel pressure stability...are critical....but its also a 100% resistance based system....and vacuum is the main load sensing device. Your vacum systems must be PERFECT.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: 914 won’t start looking for mechanic Reply with quote

if you are handy around a wrench, we can help you diagnose the problem over the phone. If not many many send their 914s to our shop for a through go through for reliability George Hussey autoatlanta,.com We call this place 914 world headquarters
Coolaired4evr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 won’t start looking for mechanic Reply with quote

You guys are awesome for offering to help !! Thank you so much . If I can start by picking your brain. Ok so I think I’m having an injector issue . I do know i have a 1/2 inch vacuum line that broke but I plugged it at both ends . The injectors don’t seem like they are getting pulse. Vehicle runs with me injecting gas in intake via spray so that tells me I have spark. The pump triggers on when I open flap of air flow meter . I have swapped computers , relays , checked connection to relay board. When the vehicle sits for a day it will start up but quickly die out. Can you tell me what I should be checking or if I forgot something? Thanks again guys .
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: 914 won’t start looking for mechanic Reply with quote

If the pump works when cranking (meaning that the power does not leave in the crank position (that would be a broken ignition switch) and you have a spark, and you verified that the resistor block on the bottom of the battery stand is plugged in, then as one is cranking move the air flow meter flap further than it is moving on its own and see if the car starts. OFTEN there is a vacuum problem and the flap is not pulled far enough to induce enough injection to start. The cold start valve works at 60 degrees and colder triggered by the yellow wire connected to the right rear spade of the four terminal connection on the rear of the relay board
Coolaired4evr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: 914 won’t start looking for mechanic Reply with quote

Thanks for all the views and help guys, I figured it out ! She starts up on a dime now! Relay wrong placement and computer I bought on eBay was wrong one.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 won’t start looking for mechanic Reply with quote

Coolaired4evr wrote:
Thanks for all the views and help guys, I figured it out ! She starts up on a dime now! Relay wrong placement and computer I bought on eBay was wrong one.

Hey Coolaired4evr ...sorry I did not get back to you earlier. Its been a crazy week.

Its great that you fixed it. Perfect!

If you have any other questions or issues with tuning and D-jet tech you can bring them here or contact me on PM.

Its good to bring them out in public because it leaves a searchable database to help others.

It really is the better deal to learn how to work on this system yourself and I try to help people all I can. Taking it too a shop can be a big undertaking...unless you are made of money....and even then in most cases...even if money is no object there are very few mechanics who actually have serious experience with the system ...and there is not one published comprehensive factory manual that deals with D-jet in extreme detail...as in performance tuning or even adjusting the MPS. About 9 of 10 either screw it up worse or cannot fix it.

And any manuals that are out there...even the Probst manual...deals with D-jet only in the "as new" condition...with no reference to 40+ years of age and heat cycling...or mechanical variations for performance.

The closest thing to a comprehensive manual Is Brad Anders D-jet tech pages.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: