Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3D Printing Vanagon parts
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

The tail light wiring boot is SWEET.
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

RBEmerson wrote:
The thermostat knob for a Dometic fridge, please! Very NLA and not seen at GW or VC.

The big challenge here is getting the inside of the knob shaft right. The thermostat shaft uses a combination of splines and a cutaway to keep the knob and shaft turning at the same time. The original knob uses a spring clip to close a 1/8-1/4"(?) long split. Over time the clip doesn't grip, the split opens, the knob slides out a bit, and the interior of the knob shaft is no longer how it should be.

We have a grey interior, but there's no problem that can't be solved by suitable use of a rattle can. Wink

With the number of Truckfridge conversions happening, there is no shortage of Dometic fridges and parts cheap. I'm sure you can find something.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

I wish! It's somewhat like the graveyard, rumored to be in Norway, where all Euro pattern headlights, that people here would kill to get them, go to die. No headlights, no knobs. :(
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

RBEmerson wrote:
I wish! It's somewhat like the graveyard, rumored to be in Norway, where all Euro pattern headlights, that people here would kill to get them, go to die. No headlights, no knobs. Sad

Three fridges for sale in the classifieds right now. One free. PM and make an offer for the knob only. Or do a wanted ad.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

I saw the fridges but assume they're not there to be parted out. I guess I can ask. Good point about the "wanted ad".
garbaldie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

Created a custom Syncro TDI badge for the back of my Doka for when I complete my ALH conversion. I wanted something to match the original Syncro badge and didn't want to mix the original with a MK4 TDI badge. Quite happy with the results, considering I had to trim the chrome vinyl by hand. It looks a bit scratched up in the photo, but that's because I haven't removed the clear protective film from the vinyl yet.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

Ha. Been on my mind for a while. Can I pay you to for a second Syncro TDI badege. Very cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

RBEmerson wrote:
I saw the fridges but assume they're not there to be parted out. I guess I can ask. Good point about the "wanted ad".
Buslabs had one. Yea!
garbaldie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
Ha. Been on my mind for a while. Can I pay you to for a second Syncro TDI badege. Very cool.

I can probably create another one to sell if you wish.

Maybe I should create a new thread for this, to gauge if there is any interest from others. If there's interest in a 1.8T version, I could make one for that as well.
ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

Stoked! Quality is amazing!
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

Glad it worked out. I just got my latest model in the mail today.

sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

Does this count?

RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

Sick...did you get that somewhere, or model it yourself?

sped372 wrote:
Does this count?

sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

Modeled it in SolidWorks for some surfacing practice. It's not a square as you'd think!

DehlerPEB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

Great!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RufusRockwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

Love it!
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

sped372 wrote:
Modeled it in SolidWorks for some surfacing practice. It's not a square as you'd think!

LOVE!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

Taking a solidworks class on saturdays. I hope I can get good enough to model something like that! ^ amazing work!
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

Thanks! Takes lots (and lots) of practice but it's rewarding once you get the hang of it. Surfacing is a whole new ballgame compared to solid modeling.
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing Vanagon parts Reply with quote

Because it’s difficult to hula dance on an unlevel surface....

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 24

Jump to: