Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting the Westy pop top to park on its rubber seals
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Getting the Westy pop top to park on its rubber seals Reply with quote

I removed my Westy pop top for paint, new rubber seals, and a new tent. Upon re-installation, I couldn't get the rear driver's side corner to park tightly against the roof.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I know the rear hinges have adjustment forwards and backwards, but adjusting there doesn't seem to affect how far down the top goes when everything is latched.

I don't see any other adjustments in the rear hinge that might affect this. Any advice?
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the Westy pop top to park on its rubber seals Reply with quote

Mine does the same thing on the right rear. No clue . . .
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the Westy pop top to park on its rubber seals Reply with quote

This just started happening to me, and I have no idea why. It is driving me bonkers! I get a howl from the wind, and I just hate that it isn’t “right”. If anyone has input, it sounds like several of us would be all ears.
Some people call him Maurice...
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the Westy pop top to park on its rubber seals Reply with quote

Do either of you that report that same issue carry any load on your pop top? If so, where and how much?
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the Westy pop top to park on its rubber seals Reply with quote

Often, yes, but at the time this was first noticed I hadn’t carried anything in a long while (van was parked) and hadn’t yet reinstalled my crossbars and solar panel (now reinstalled on passenger side). My fist guess was that something was off with my JB pop top install, but I can’t find anything amiss. I also changed my seal (not to solve the issue, but because the glue-on section never adhered right and was flapping uselessly Embarassed)- no change.
Some people call him Maurice...
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the Westy pop top to park on its rubber seals Reply with quote

Do you have assist shocks?

If so, disconnect them and try the fit.

Have you tried the rear hinge adjustment procedure on P 75.4 of the Bentley?

Be forewarned...... It can be frustrating! A small adjustment telescoped over the length of the top can make a huge difference.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the Westy pop top to park on its rubber seals Reply with quote

This is a long shot guess but could excessive wear at pop top strut hinges cause this?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the Westy pop top to park on its rubber seals Reply with quote

Hi,

A couple of things could be involved. First, did you use new bolts for the hinge to top connection? If so double check that the bolts aren’t too long and are hitting the hinge arms on closing.

Second, there is a degree of adjustability between the hinge and the pop top. I think, not sure, that it’s the front two bolt holes that are ovalized to allow movement.

The trick is to have the bolts tight enough that they don’t move when opening closing the top, but loose enough to allow the hinge - top connection to move to adjust... when top down. Getting up there and pressing down on corner when the bolts done up just so...

Get what I mean?

Don’t have the lift assists connected during this.

And i am assuming you did not touch the hinge to van connection. That affects things too, but if you didn’t touch that then don’t now.

Good luck

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the Westy pop top to park on its rubber seals Reply with quote

To address some questions:

- I have no assist kits installed, and I don't think one has ever been installed.
- I have solar on my roof, but noticed this gap before the solar was installed. I don't carry any other loads.
- I completely removed the rear hinges because the van got painted to.
- P75.4 in the Bentley suggests that if I need to "realign" the roof, I can move the rear linkages in the elongated holes along the roof. This is the part that I have attempted to adjust repeatedly.

I didn't notice the hinge to pop top had adjustment. I will check that and check the length of the new screws I used when reattaching everything.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the Westy pop top to park on its rubber seals Reply with quote

I did a Westy top transplant and I noticed it wasn't closing perfectly side to side in the front. So I loosed up the rear bottom bolts and tweaked the position of the hinges on the roof just a little bit and noticed the rear was sticking up a bit on one side. I just kept messing with the location of hinges on the roof until it was good in the front and flat in the back.

I'm not really sure what caused it or what fixed it, I just messed with those rear hinge positioning bolts until it was good.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the Westy pop top to park on its rubber seals Reply with quote

drj434343 wrote:

I didn't notice the hinge to pop top had adjustment. I will check that and check the length of the new screws I used when reattaching everything.

Alistar could be right about the hinge bolts that go through the fiberglass. I swapped mine and noticed a couple were hitting the hinge when I was trying to close it. If that is the problem you should be able to see it pretty easily.
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the Westy pop top to park on its rubber seals Reply with quote

Hi,

Just a couple more points.

The hinge to steel roof adjustment, yes they are fore and aft. Can adjust to get the front edge if the pop top aligned to the luggage rack, both on fore and aft postion and squareness.

But there is a little added complication. As the steel roof at the very rear is a curved surface, adjusting fore and aft will place the rear corners of the pop top in different positions over that curved surface. I’m not doing a good job describ8ng this, but the further back the pop top sits, the further down it has to go to seal against the curved steel roof.

I’d concentrate on getting the pop top square to the luggage rack and the front seal with the correct overlap. I think Bentley has some pics , 75.4.

Once happy with that adjustment then look to the hinge to pop top adjustment. Simply put, it’s adjusting the “pitch” of the roof when closed.

It might take a few tries, it certainly does for me. But when it’s right, the rear corners seal to the roof *AND* the front corners of the pop top are tight to the luggage rack. The test for the latter is just prying up that corner with finger and noting how easy it is to move. I bet if you surveyed, you’ll find a few westies that have less than tight front corners.

The latch can be adjusted to hold the top down harder. Yes, makes latching harder and is no real substitute for getting the pop top aligned correctly.

Good luck

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the Westy pop top to park on its rubber seals Reply with quote

If all else fails you can pull the rubber seal on the edge of the pop top downward a bit to close a small gap.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Westaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the Westy pop top to park on its rubber seals Reply with quote

I had the same issue as the OP - painted the top, new seals, new tent, new hardware throughout the top. When I reinstalled I had a gap exactly where the OP did.

I pulled the rear mounting bolts from the top and hinge and cut them down as they were sticking out of the inner nuts by 1/4". I then made sure the rear mounts against the top were 'pivoted' closer to the vehicle. The rear mounts allow you to change the swing and where the top meets the rear of the vehicle (front holes are slotted).

I'm not sure which of the 2 fixed it but this worked for me.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the Westy pop top to park on its rubber seals Reply with quote

In an unrelated search, I stumbled across someone selling a top seal with a larger bulb to help seal problem areas.

Where was it?
I don't know, I wasn't interested at the time! Laughing

I found it!
Old ad but it might help you locate a similar product.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1396965

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: