Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bizzare and oddly specific phishing scam
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Bizzare and oddly specific phishing scam Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I thought I would post a warning here about a potential scam that I've seen happening…

I run a business that specializes in inspections, appraisals, diagnostics, and teaching of vintage Volkswagens. I received an email from a potential client yesterday:

Quote:

Subject: Inquiry

Hello,

I recently inherited some classic and luxury cars from my father. I intend to trade if possible. Your business was recommended to me by my father's friend at his golf club. I need your help in selling these cars because I am not much of a car person. Please get back to me so I can send more pics and details about my inherited cars. I was made to believe classic cars are a good investment and always appreciate in value. Please advice on this.

Thanks.
[full name redacted].
[phone number redacted]

Sounds oddly formal for my typical clients, but ok. I responded within a few hours with a few paragraphs of details about what I do, and questions regarding his goals as an owner. I was met with this:

Quote:
Robbie,

Thanks for getting back to me. I've uploaded a list, pictures and more details of the cars to a shared Google drive for your review.

Link: [u][full name]_Cars_List_Images_Description[/u]

Please get back to me after viewing the files so we can discuss further. Try using another device to open the docs if having difficulty viewing. I would have forwarded directly via email but the files are too large. Also, What's the best time to call?

Best regards,
[full name redacted]
[picture of beautiful '70s 911 attached]

When I clicked on the link on my phone, I was prompted with a log-in screen that looked like a mid-2000s Google Drive log-in:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Seeing the URL, I entered fake login credentials, that allowed me access to a page that gave me an endless loading screen. Trying on my laptop, my web browser wouldn't load the page, because it was a known phishing site.

Interestingly enough, the phone number voicemail recording (I called from a public phone…) he sent me matched the name of the email address.

Scammers are apparently getting better… Anybody seen one like this before?
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bizzare and oddly specific phishing scam Reply with quote

I have not heard of that one before but I definitely get a lot of random phishing scams for banks and other businesses, almost every day.

I've been getting a bunch of "Facebook has reported a copyright violation on your account" click here to resolve it lately too.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bizzare and oddly specific phishing scam Reply with quote

I get the daily PayPal and amazon account scams, which are generic and comically spelled. PayPal even has a service setup where you forward the offending email to [email protected] and they go after the organization behind it.

This one used my name, and was specifically vintage German car related. The phone I called was a land line, so I’m going to keep calling them from different numbers until I talk to a human...

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bizzare and oddly specific phishing scam Reply with quote

Your name is on your ads so maybe they got it from there?

There are warehouses of low-paid scammers in India, etc. that often get very personal these days.

I wonder if Google Drive used to look like that?
It looks similar to some of the Google Image search results I did on "Google Drive"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
inkedlizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Bizzare and oddly specific phishing scam Reply with quote

I've experienced the same but mostly on craigslist. To help weed out the fakes I give as much info as possible on the item being sold . If the person asks questions already answered on the ad then most likely its a scam. If you get a question with is "it" or "the" item type of questions without them mentioning the actual item being sold then most likely its a scam. I get calls and they appear on my phone as "scam likely" and I just ignore it. Never click on links sent to you from strangers even if they are potential customers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Bizzare and oddly specific phishing scam Reply with quote

Yes, "the item" is a huge red flag for a scammer, although occasionally I see real people using that too.

Tip: If you are a legit person, don't use that phrase
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: