Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brain death imminent
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Brain death imminent Reply with quote

Recently my cabin fume level has become so strong that I fear that the few active brain cells left, are in peril.
Windows down, vents open, yet the hazardous gases continue.
My diet is fairly clean, so I can't be the culprit....
My exhaust is exhibiting signs of aging rings/valve guide seals. Blue smoke on acceleration and oil usage, not yet measured, but substantial. At first I thought the exhaust may be creeping in through some rust holes in the bottom of slider, or in through the rear hatch seal, but after checking and sealing both, fumes continue.
Is it possible that fumes are coming from heater box, even though I installed a shut off valve? Where else could fumes find their way in?
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Brain death imminent Reply with quote

Ken Wilford offered up fuel tank leaking? Combination? It doesn't smell exclusively fuel, but you can't smell carbon monoxide....
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Brain death imminent Reply with quote

Your post had me LMAO!

But yeah, I sort of had the same thing happen with mine. It wasn’t very strong but I got a faint smell of burning smoke every once in awhile. Then it got noticeably stronger. It turned out to be the heater coil. I also have a leak in the fuel line from filler cap (the expansion tank?) to the main tank that causes a fuel smell but that is only when I fill up which isn’t too often. Easy fix but I haven’t gotten around to it partly because I fuel up so rarely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Brain death imminent Reply with quote

Glad you got my humor. As I slowly creep around town in my 82, fumes take hold and creep becomes a wild slow speed careening, this has got to be illegal.
I did just fill up, and I also have a slight gap around drivers wheel well, so I will check for leakage in those areas, but first, another loop around town...
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Brain death imminent Reply with quote

I for one am glad your out there on that island and not a local danger. Theres enough local danger already w/o you huff-driving around the old pueblo. Id swear half the vehicles w Sonora plates are suffering the same debacle though. Id imagine the great state of HI has emissions no?
Not gonna be a fun visit there next run around.

Blue smoke?

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Brain death imminent Reply with quote

Most drivers either local or tourists, seem to be extremely distracted here, I have never seen anywhere with the amount of clueless drivers than Hawaii. My issue will demand extensive research, so for now, stay home, where you are safe. I will let you know when fumes have settled and coast is clear.
Luckily, I ride my bike to work!!
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Brain death imminent Reply with quote

Oh yeah, no emissions in Hawaii.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Brain death imminent Reply with quote

kaalualu wrote:
Oh yeah, no emissions in Hawaii.

Thats amazing. Do they test nonetheless??
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Brain death imminent Reply with quote

kaalualu wrote:

Is it possible that fumes are coming from heater box, even though I installed a shut off valve? Where else could fumes find their way in?

Blue smoke? Rust holes? It seems the fumes can can be coming from many places (fuel tank, lines, exhaust, etc.) and entering many places. Can you share some photos of the van to give us a better idea of what you’re working with?

I solved this problem in my ‘90 by dropping the tank, replacing all the lines and grommets and the difference was like driving through a redwood forest v. an oil refinery...or at least spring day and huffing the end of a gas pump. YMMV.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Brain death imminent Reply with quote

Hawaii does no emissions check, we only have to pass a general safety inspection. I've only heard of failures due to worn front end/steering joints, or lights. Excessive smoke could be an issue for sure, but would have to be really obvious.
Mine is blue smoke, oil burn. I am the 10th!! owner, no records came with vehicle, head has been replaced. After IP was replaced with Giles high performance pump, new WP and timing belt, all installed by Jeff Hogue and J Charlton while visiting here, van started running a bit warmer. I changed o.g. radiator, needle still sits a little higher than before but doesn't over heat. Engine started using oil a while after all these changes. I've pulled the injectors but havent had them tested, I'm starting to think that could be an issue. Also, my tailpipe is short, and points straight back. Van runs great other than burning oil.
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Brain death imminent Reply with quote

As far as the tank seal, I will tackle that in the near future, couldn't hurt and very well may be one source of fumes.
I was wondering if my injectors could be causing excessive oil burn/fumes/smoke? Especially since IP was upgraded...
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Brain death imminent Reply with quote

Get rid of your air heat system and put an oil cooler up front or under the rear bench seat with a fan and enjoy hot oil heat. if you use good quality hose and AN flared fitting you should not have any leaks to worry about.

Did this in my 68' Westy and worked well enough to defrost the windshield and me.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Brain death imminent Reply with quote

No that sounds right, where do I start to eliminate air heat?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Brain death imminent Reply with quote

kaalualu wrote:
No that sounds right, where do I start to eliminate air heat?

Start by disconnecting the flexible air duct hoses coming off the exhaust heat exchangers. You could try using stainless steel tape to seal off the rear end of big center air duct. Then you'll need to figure in the cost of a good quality oil cooler plus a fan and where you want to install it. Check this forum thread. They pretty much say that it is a lot of work with little return for it. I insulated my oil lines all the way to the front so maybe that was the difference. I did get more heat then the original heating.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=137177

Another alternative is the proven Webasto Air Top 2000 or the Eberspacher Airtronic. Both of those will cost you money in the initial purchase.
The Chinese knock-offs are on eBay now for a few hundred dollars, but who knows the quality of them

However, as been said you might consider that one of your exhaust has a hole and is leaking exhaust into the Plenum for the heat exchanger.
This could very well be your problem.
How old is your exhaust? Even though you installed the shut off valve-how good a seal is that?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Brain death imminent Reply with quote

Heat isn't needed here, so completely blocking will be my plan. I have no idea how old exhaust is, it's not exhibiting excessive rust or become any louder. It may be time for an engine upgrade, but I would like to run this one for while longer. My weekend starts tomorrow, time to lift it and see what's going on under there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: