Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child.
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is Rose.

Link

This is how she started. This video is my first attempt with Shotcut. A freeware video editing suite. I scanned in all my old actual photographs of the restoration. I wish I had taken more.

I'm amassing parts for the refresh and I've shot some video that I will post up once I get it to where I don't seem like a blithering idiot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

Impressive end result, very modern.

I am however trying to figure out your dash treatment.

Seat fabric on the face and something fuzzy on the top???

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

Its extra headliner material on top. I wanted to use the darker Sunbrella fabric but it wasn't flexible enough to stretch around the dash pad so I had to compromise.

I have the knee pads too, I just never installed them on account of the equilizer for the stereo. I need to move that into the glovebox or something.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

So is the head liner a mouse fur or similar material?

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

TMI Velour but I can't remember the color off hand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/1MSJ_QkvWlE

Here I am rambling about in the Garage.

Last edited by jeffrey8164 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:25 pm; edited 9 times in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

The unveiling.
Surprisingly, there were no spider webs inside.

Link
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

It's good to see another Ghia on its way to being enjoyed again. Look on the bright side, if you ever run out of gas the thump from all that wattage should keep you going down the road Shocked

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

Today I worked on it a little bit.
I've realized I've been remiss. I need to do complete video so other can follow along.

Link to follow

Link
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
It's good to see another Ghia on its way to being enjoyed again. Look on the bright side, if you ever run out of gas the thump from all that wattage should keep you going down the road Shocked

Without a doubt man. Awesome comment.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

Here is a question for anyone who cares. Why are some of my video links appearing with a thumbnail and others do not? I post them all the same way with a copy of the link yet as in life, there is no consistency.

Moderator Edit: That's probably because a moderator placed your YouTube links between these tabs [youtube][/youtube] without telling you. Embarassed
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

IN My Humble Old Fart opinion.........

While the videos are interesting, I much prefer photos hosted here that I can scroll through, linger and take my time viewing,

The videos put me on a tread mill of go Go GO!!!! LOOK QUICKLY! It will soon go away to another photo that you probably haven't enough time to look at.

I captured a few stills of your interior to better look at it, but is was a PITA to do so.

That being said, I really appreciate you sharing with us what you've done.
It is certainly something to be proud of.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

I’m almost inclined to agree with you Dave. The videos are a PITA for me too. I’m trying to learn the editing software and once I’ve figured it out, sort of, it takes 2 hours or more to upload.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

Well I rebuilt my carbs.
No pics or video.
I probably didn't need to but everything has sat for so long I at least needed to blow out all the passages.
Decided to go ahead and polish the manifolds.
I'll be pulling the engine out this weekend.
I'll probably give the case and crank and rods away as I have new to go back in.
Thought about selling the stuff but as long as it goes to a good home I'm happy.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

Well. I've been working on it as much as I can.

Pulled and tore down the engine.

Found a bunch of issues with the engine. Besides all the main bearings being tight probably from this:

Oil pump and cam gear eating each other.

Pistons with the arrows facing each other instead of the flywheel.

No tang in the rotor of the distributor

Removed the rear bumper and sent it to Advanced Plating for a thorough refinishing. Was done 12 years ago (BADLY) by Georgia Bumper and rust was seeping through.

Got new wheels to replace the cheap chrome smoothies and added a touch of the car color:

While I had the paint out I refinished the deck since it had some heat bubbles and scratches.

Installed a new pedal assembly just to be a bit fancier.

Spent three days trying to fit a Kafer Bar. After much massaging and rebending the triangle brackets it is finally installed.

Then installed the Benco Transaxle and New CVs

Now for the front end.
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

Nice progress ! Was the engine running before you tore it down, and had it been "rebuilt" before ?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

Yes it was "running" sort of. Brief history, Pan off resto in 94 with virtually everything new or refinished; 1915, Weber Progressive, Erson VW200 cam. In 2008 the top end was replaced. 042 Heads became CB 044 Super Mags, and Mahle 94mm Forged Piston/Cylinders and the Weber Progressive was replaced with dual 45mm Dellortos. I verified oil pressure via the light going out, started it up and ran it high for about 10 minutes then synced up the Carbs and then tried to drive it. Always fell on its face. Chasing my tail apparently, I changed jetting etc. but never got it to turn to and get the job done. Ran it around the neighborhood to the cul-de-sac and back about six times and then parked it with the intention of further investigation but it never happened.

The next time it was started was in '09 and I couldn't make the 1/2 side fire. Came to find out I had no gas and the 1/2 side starved first. Shut it off, disconnected the battery, put the cover back on and there it sat until now.

I'm not sure what to think about the engine being almost seized. I tend to think it was a result of the oil pump and cam gear eating each other resulting in not enough oil being pumped, but it could have been the dry start in '09.

Nevertheless, that case and crank now need a little work.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

Well I've been cleaning and sanding parts.
Finally got the tins painted.

Looked all over for high temp coatings that could be tinted but couldn't find any. Couldn't even find any that utilize a paint gun! Only aerosols.

This is close to what I was getting at but I'm not sure I like it.
I'll have to see what it looks like assembled.
I may go back to flat black.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

I pulled the stereo and the tank to prep for a repaint of the trunk.
I scratched the hell out of it putting in a new tank in 09.
This time I ground off the excess and smoothed the sharp edges so it fits in without finagling.

I'm also going to install an electric fuel pump and an electric washer pump, a new turn signal switch and ignition switch since I have an NOS unit that takes the original key.

I also put in new ball joints. I was able to do the uppers myself but the lowers I had to take to a shop.

I'm also making a mini me.

Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm refreshing Rose. My 70/71 bastard child. Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
Well I've been cleaning and sanding parts.
Finally got the tins painted.

Looks like somewhere between Rose Gold and Bronze. Not that it matters but I think that a "Rose Gold-like" color would go great with your exterior color. Good to see the rehab is moving along. Keep the eye candy coming Smile

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted

Last edited by Evil_Fiz on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: