Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need some help... 1955 oval ragtop semaphore.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrezleuro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Need some help... 1955 oval ragtop semaphore. Reply with quote

Hey guys, first off..... thanks in advance for any help. Does anyone have a picture of the dash on a 1955 oval ragtop semaphore car? Just picked one up a few days ago off of here and it has a few holes that where done at come point along its life. Want to go back to og and fix it. Need to know what it should look like. Once I figure out how to post pictures on here I will add some. Also would like to know the knob and what they control . Thanks !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andrezleuro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help... 1955 oval ragtop semaphore. Reply with quote

Just about forgot...it is a 11/55. Two fold w semaphores so I’m assuming it started it’s life somewhere other than the states ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help... 1955 oval ragtop semaphore. Reply with quote

My 1956 convertible (build date Aug 9, 1955) yours would be the same minus clock,gas gauge
& grab handle
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023

Last edited by 56Cabrio on Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andrezleuro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help... 1955 oval ragtop semaphore. Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, from left to right ... what are the knobs ? Also would there be a semaphore witch or would it be the turn signal switch ?
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help... 1955 oval ragtop semaphore. Reply with quote

Here you go and yes turn signal switch activates semaphores.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/56beetle/5.jpg

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
Andrezleuro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help... 1955 oval ragtop semaphore. Reply with quote

Awesome man thank you so much. Would you know if it would have been an import from somewhere since it has semaphores?
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help... 1955 oval ragtop semaphore. Reply with quote

By Nov '55 (1956 model year) all USA spec Beetles had blinker systems, not semaphores. Your car probably was not a USA spec car. You'd have to write to VW in Germany with your chassis number and pay for a "birth certificate" which usually tells what country your car was initially shipped to.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help... 1955 oval ragtop semaphore. Reply with quote

As a Bill mentioned, you don’t have a ‘55, you have a ‘56. Semaphores were dropped for the American market early in ‘55 and the ‘55 model year only went from January ’55 to Aug of ‘55 that’s when the official Aug-Aug model year started for VW from there on out, so Aug ‘55 is the ‘56 model year. It wasn’t like that before. You have a euro market Beetle. ‘ 55 was the first year for bullet turn signals with snowflake tail lights and towel rail (ram protection) bumpers standard for the American market and would have a 3 fold ragtop, and ribbed doors as well.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Andrezleuro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help... 1955 oval ragtop semaphore. Reply with quote

My vin plate up front stamped 1955
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help... 1955 oval ragtop semaphore. Reply with quote

Andrezleuro wrote:
My vin plate up front stamped 1955

As mentioned, Any date stamp starting in Aug of ‘55 is a ‘56, you don’t have a ‘55.

If you go out to whatever modern car you have right now and look at the sticker in the door jam of the drivers door it is likely that your 2003 Chevy suburban was made in the previous year of what it is, 10/2002 for example, that doesn’t make it a 2002.

Manufacturers have the practice of Model years starting in Aug of the previous year and run to Aug of the current year for that model. As mentioned, VW started this practice in Aug of ‘55. Before that they went with the calendar year.

My ‘65 beetle was made Aug of ‘64 and sold in Aug of ‘64 to the original owner.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Andrezleuro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help... 1955 oval ragtop semaphore. Reply with quote

Got it, thanks a lot !
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help... 1955 oval ragtop semaphore. Reply with quote

... please tell us the stamped body number... that's the number, behind the spate tire, next to the brake reservoir....
... sometimes lots of things are changed and we get confused... this body number will clear things up... if your plate states 1955, it might be... just digging a little deeper.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help... 1955 oval ragtop semaphore. Reply with quote

... you might look in the technical section, here on thesamba, look at a 1955 owner manual dash, to learn where everything is located on the dash..... here's mine, a 3/55, body number 747 714

... is your speedo in MPH or KPH... do you have a smaller hump gas tank or a bigger rectangular one with a huge 100 mm gas cap... ? We'll get to the bottom of this... many times there is a date on the back of your speedo... that'll tell you roughly what year and month your car was built...

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Andrezleuro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help... 1955 oval ragtop semaphore. Reply with quote

Plate is stamped 1955
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help... 1955 oval ragtop semaphore. Reply with quote

Andrezleuro wrote:
Plate is stamped 1955

As it has been said already, that doesn’t matter. The vin is what matters.

You have a 2 fold, so if that is original and not an incorrect graft, you are already looking at it being a ‘56. Do you have ribbed or smooth doors, large square gas tank or humped gas tank? Smooth rear apron or dual outlet rear apron? Sure, many of these could have been changed, but they paint the picture.....speaking of picture, pictures sure do help us.

Andrezleuro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help... 1955 oval ragtop semaphore. Reply with quote

I believe it’s a 56 since it’s 11/55 build. I’ll post pictures soon
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help... 1955 oval ragtop semaphore. Reply with quote

Andrezleuro wrote:
I believe it’s a 56 since it’s 11/55 build. I’ll post pictures soon

Yup, ‘56 and NOT a ‘55

‘55 shares a lot with the split window bugs and ‘56 was the change over year. They don’t really share much with ‘55 and down. Doors are different, gas tank is different, door jamb stamping is different, floorpans are different, seats are different, inside door handles and window winders are different, engine stuff is different, and on and on and on.

Andrezleuro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help... 1955 oval ragtop semaphore. Reply with quote

Good to know, it’s a complete car only thing missing is the driver seat.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help... 1955 oval ragtop semaphore. Reply with quote

... what's your body number?
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Andrezleuro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help... 1955 oval ragtop semaphore. Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: